Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Pull a trailer? Com'on, I know you do...

Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I pull a N-LINE behind a FLHTPI and with the one wheel design and the way the front wheel tracksi with the rear it is very stable and is the same width as the bike. Total weight of the trailer loaded isn't alot, but these are motorcycle trailers, not support vehicles for an assult on Mt Everest. The local HD dealer sells trailers so I'm sure He'd work with you on warranty issues if both bike and trailer were bought from him.
WUZFUZ

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Straycat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled an Aluma trailer last summer with my TC88 Dyna, it pulled real easy. Right now there is a Bushtec hitch going on my 11 Street Glide.
I believe the recommendation was 10-15 % of gross trailer weight on the tongue, not to exceed 40 lbs. That was on my Hitchdoc hitch. I used an electronic fish scale on the tongue.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Once again HD has to show that pulling the trailer was the proximate cause of a failure. That said, I have a good 10K pulling my Kwick Kamp tent trailer. Never had any handling issues of any kind, and I load pretty heavy. Just leave room and stay cut in.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have pulled several trailers over the years and by far my favorite is the American Legend.
http://www.american-legend.com/index.html
I have the Legend model and the only thing I have ever noticed out of it is that it takes a little longer to stop and need to downshift a little sooner going up hills. I have had it through many mountains and switchbacks without a problem.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

This link will give you just about every trailer out there, + some that aren't out there anymore. Have a look and let us know which way you go.
http://www.aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

Old 03-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been towing a Buchtec Turbo 2 since 2006. The only time you really know it is there is over steel grated bridges. Tires track different than the bike. Go around a corner a little wider because of the trailer and gas stations. Have a stock 88 twin cam would be nice to have more but not a problem. Yes it takes me longer on entrance ramp to get up to speed but that is it. Stopping it does take a little more but it is another 100+ lbs to stop. Dealer knew I towed a trailer and still did warranted work on the bike, never questioned it.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Weatheredge
Cruiser

do you use a Swivel Adapter for trailer couplers on your tarilers while towing your bike trailers and if so hows that working out?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fuji
Only Goldwingers pull trailers
I know that's wrong. I've personally seen plenty of non-GW's pulling trailers and many of them were Harley's!

Originally Posted by Guntoter
I have never used one, but an acquaintance that has said that they can be pretty tricky in windy conditions.
I haven't personally pulled a trailer with a motorcycle (yet) but have many friends who have including my father. From everything I've seen, if it's windy enough for the trailer to be a problem, riding at all is going to be problematic anyway.

Originally Posted by danmo
I feel like a trailer would get real awkward at times. Plus, the way I weave in and outta traffic at times, I'd be bound to lose it on the front end of some vehicle.
If you're riding like that, you're probably right! Just make sure you don't lose it on the front end of some vehicle anyway. I've seen too many riders come pretty darned close!

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC
I know of one instance where a trailer caused the rider to lose control. I think they are a bad idea and probably why Harley doesn't endorse the use of one. Not sure of the riders level of experience but I can see them causing a loss of control.
Did the trailer really "cause" the lose of control or was someone using poor judgment? Putting a trailer behind the bike will change it's handling characteristics just like it will behind a car. Ride with that in mind and you shouldn't have any problems. I've got friends that I've ridden with for years and have followed them between 10 and 20k miles at least while they pulled trailers. They never had any issues at all but you have to pay attention to how the trailer is loaded and (obviously) make allowances while speeding up and slowing down. My Dad is currently pulling one of these, Lees-ure Lite Trailer, with a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter and hasn't had any issues at all. He say's I'm welcome to use it some time if I care to put a hitch on my Harley. I haven't done that yet but am considering it!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problem pulling the trailer i built for camping. I'll try to get a cople pics from home puter up. As said, tongue wt is crutial. I had mine balanced with not enough weight at first and it tended to sway a bit at hi speed. Added a cooler and a 20lb bag of ice and fix3ed the problem so i shifted the axle back 4" and it trails real nice. I modeled mine after the liesure lite. Get lots of comments when it's opned up in less than 2 minites. More beer drinking time. I use a small 900 watt generator on the tongue when the cooler is emply. 28lbs and power anyplace I go.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've pulled one many miles, just have to be a little more careful. As far as breaking, you just need to start stopping a little sooner, but it will come to you. Other than that, you can't really tell its behind you. You can find lots of info here http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...towing%2Fstart

Lots of info on how to pack, tongue weight, etc. found at this site. Hope this helps and be careful.
I'd note to that I leave my bags partially empty. When we leave on day trips, we are able to put helmets in trunk and have room for jackets to. Also leaves enough room to pick up t-shirts and other junk on our trips.

Last edited by DRAFT1; 03-22-2011 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mini9r (05-24-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pull a trailer? Com'on, I know you do...