Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sadly Harley discontinues sidecars

Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sadly Harley discontinues sidecars

I just noticed Harley is no longer taking orders for sidecars after January 2011. Harley has been offering sidecars I think since 1914. This is end to a LONG era and I am sure sad to see them go.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Agreed.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Harley use to be one of only two motorcycle companies that made there own sidecar. Now there is only one.

Last edited by 46u; 04-13-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Too bad, but considering that HD's sidecar design hasn't changed in maybe 75 years there is a lot of room for improvement in suspension, weight, mounting and handling. There are several aftermarket companies that have a better, lighter, more aerodynamic sidecars.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by deadhawg
Too bad, but considering that HD's sidecar design hasn't changed in maybe 75 years there is a lot of room for improvement in suspension, weight, mounting and handling. There are several aftermarket companies that have a better, lighter, more aerodynamic sidecars.
At 230 pounds a Harley sidecar is pretty light. Just curious have you ever driven and owned a Harley sidecar? I know MANY that own and drive sidecars for years of all brands and most admit that a Harley sidecar is very good. Many say a 45 degree motor is out dated but I am not ready to give mine up. There is a reason they have been around as long as they have.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say never say never. I think Harley will start making the side car again. The MC stopped building sidecars. When they started building Trike bodies for the 2011 model Trikes.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:04 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 46u
At 230 pounds a Harley sidecar is pretty light. Just curious have you ever driven and owned a Harley sidecar? I know MANY that own and drive sidecars for years of all brands and most admit that a Harley sidecar is very good. Many say a 45 degree motor is out dated but I am not ready to give mine up. There is a reason they have been around as long as they have.
I have ridden (driven) a couple different Harleys with HD sidecars, BMW's with sidecars, and currently own an '05 Electraglide with a Hannigan sidecar. Maybe the setup on the HD sidecars I rode wasn't right or something, but this bike with the Hannigan sidecar, electric camber control, progressive suspension and linked disc brake, handles and rides far better than the HD sidecars I have ridden. A little lighter too, at 200 pounds.

I'm not knocking HD or their motors, actually a 45 degree v twin is a proven, efficient design for a motorcycle engine, and I have 113,000 miles on mine. My wife's bike, the one with the sidecar, has about 50,000 miles on it, 25,000 of that with the hack. She rides it most of the time, but I have put several thousand miles on it too.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 AM
46u
Road Warrior

Even thaw I have been riding Harley s none stop for 40 years and now have 85k on the Harley I have now I am fairly new to sidecars. This is not counting the other motorcycles I have had but in 40 years I have never been with out a Harley. Yes anything with the eclectic chamber is going to ride better then one with out but most sidecar rigs on the rode do not have this. Yes they are getting more popular every year but we cannot compare oranges with apples.

Yes we know setting up the sidecar properly directly affects how it drives. As fare as a Harley 45 degree engine I love them but most motorcycle engineers will tell you that there are better designs like 60 degree which many V twins are other then most Harley s I think the V rod is 60 degree correct me if I am wrong but is is not 45 degree. I just was saying about the Harley 45 degree as and example about the HD sidecars being out dated. I remember in the late 70s the Japanese motorcycle manufactures said they would NEVER make a V twin and now look at what is their best seller.

I have MANY friends that have sidecars NOT only Harley s but many different brands with many different brand motorcycle attached to them. Bottom line is HD sidecars are good hacks and it is a same to see them be discontinued!

Last edited by 46u; 04-16-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 46u
Bottom line is HD sidecars are good hacks and it is a shame to see them be discontinued!
I agree 100%, sad to see them discontinued. I hope there is enough demand that they will come out with them again, maybe updated as the motors have been updated through the years.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 PM
46u
Road Warrior

I agree there is room for improvement but not bad the way they are or should I say where. One of the problem is only people going to buy a Harley sidecar are those driving a Harley so this is going to limit sales a lot not like on after market sidecars. Who is going to buy a Harley sidecar and put it on a Honda, BMW or something. LOL So now Ural is the only motorcycle manufacture that makes their own sidecar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sadly Harley discontinues sidecars