Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer to haul your Harley - reviews and features please

Old 09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
cherrick
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer to haul your Harley - reviews and features please

Trailers as in hauling your Harley.

What are the top 5 features for you?

Which trailer/model do you like?

Pics?

ThX!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 AM
cherrick
Cruiser
Default nobody?

Everybody rides, nobody trailers?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 PM
shezaharley
Advanced

We're currently shopping for a trailer too. I've heard good things about Haulmark and Roadmaster. We're looking for a v-nose and would be really happy if it could be a "low hauler"; but we're looking used so may not be able to be so picky. I think a lot of brands are pretty much equal if, like us, you'll only be hauling 2 or 3 times a year.

Sorry. Not much help. Maybe some others will give their .

Liz

Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

This is my Toy Carrier.
I wanted the lightest enclosed trailer available. (My tow vehicle is G8!)

Took the rig to Sturgis this year 1250 miles each way at a steady 70 mph. Car got about 18 mpg average.

I got the trailer used on Craigslist for $1900...

The only problem I have with it is that the ramp is not strong enough for big Harley with a 250 lb rider. After the ramp bent like a banana when I loaded the bike ( It never dawned on me to try out the trailer ahead off time!) I straightened the ramp out with a 5 lb maul and built a support for the middle out of 2 x 4s.

Attached Thumbnails Trailer to haul your Harley - reviews and features please-dscn4859noplate.jpg   Trailer to haul your Harley - reviews and features please-dscn4860noplate.jpg  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Al Brown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-27-2011, 04:33 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a picture of it but I have a 12X7 Haulmark. It is V nose, has side door, Dove Tail back end, tandem axle, and is the low hauler version. It pulls like a dream.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
T K Glider
Road Master

V-nose ,tandem,popout bed,camper door,electric,insulated,all alluminum.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer

You need to answer a couple of very important questions before you start looking at trailers.

1. What do you plan on pulling the trailer with? Is it big enough to handle a big trailer and all the extra weight? There is nothing more scarey than having too much trailer behind you on a downhill run. I bought an 8x16 enclosed trailer and my 1/2 ton pickup wasn't enough to handle it properly. I had to move up to a 3/4 ton.

2. How many bikes are you planning on pulling at one time? If you plan on pulling a couple of bikes at the same time, it must be wide enough to accomodate the handle bars and/or fairings when sitting side by side. Is it built to handle the weight of two or more big bikes?

3. How much extra gear will you be hauling now that you have a trailer?

If you get an enclosed trailer be sure that it has a camper style side door that can be opened from the inside. Huge safety issue. You don't want to get locked inside the thing by some butthead that thinks it a big joke to lock you in. I know of a trailer salesman that almost got killed by some joker that locked him inside a trailer in the hot summer time.

Be sure whatever you buy has a 20-30 year warranty on the floor. The trailers that use the box framing bars in the sides are much stronger than the ones with the stamped channel iron.

I paid good money for my 8x16, two axle, with a ramp door but it is strong enough to load a car into it and I have never regretted buying quality.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Don't buy the first thing you look at. Take your time and do some shopping, it will be worth your time in the long run.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kentuckydave
You need to answer a couple of very important questions before you start looking at trailers.

1. What do you plan on pulling the trailer with? Is it big enough to handle a big trailer and all the extra weight? There is nothing more scarey than having too much trailer behind you on a downhill run. I bought an 8x16 enclosed trailer and my 1/2 ton pickup wasn't enough to handle it properly. I had to move up to a 3/4 ton.

2. How many bikes are you planning on pulling at one time? If you plan on pulling a couple of bikes at the same time, it must be wide enough to accomodate the handle bars and/or fairings when sitting side by side. Is it built to handle the weight of two or more big bikes?

If you get an enclosed trailer be sure that it has a camper style side door that can be opened from the inside. Huge safety issue. You don't want to get locked inside the thing by some butthead that thinks it a big joke to lock you in. I know of a trailer salesman that almost got killed by some joker that locked him inside a trailer in the hot summer time.

Be sure whatever you buy has a 20-30 year warranty on the floor. The trailers that use the box framing bars in the sides are much stronger than the ones with the stamped channel iron.

I paid good money for my 8x16, two axle, with a ramp door but it is strong enough to load a car into it and I have never regretted buying quality.

Hope you find what you are looking for. Don't buy the first thing you look at. Take your time and do some shopping, it will be worth your time in the long run.
You are spot on. Very good advice.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kentuckydave

What brand did you buy? I'm going to by one to haul my sidecar rig in, it will have to be 8ft wide. The sidecar rig is 76 3/4" wide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer to haul your Harley - reviews and features please