Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

what do you not like about having a trike

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:16 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Initially, working twisties was hard, but just required consitently using the "proper" technique. So that's no problem. Then, after riding 28,000+miles on a SE Road King with a 103" motor, I couldn't help but notice the extra weight and heat. Some mods done, the MOCO has already corrected some, and both issues are fixed for me. So 9,000 miles and two years into this experience, I can't think of ANYTHING I hate now. Test ride/rent one like you said and go from there. Trikes are too cool to pass up!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM
monsterdave
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trike bike

At 62 and having a bad leg and ankle from a 1976 accident I did the unthinkable in the MC world. I converted an '03 Roadking into a three wheeler. Technically it is not a motorcycle. In Nevada you don't need an MC license to operate one and you don't have to wear a helmet if you choose. I actually like my bike more than when it was a two wheeler. Tell yon pops to go for it. They are very stable and love the open road.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Harley2012
Intermediate
Default Steering

Consider putting a rake kit on. Really helps when you are going slow.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
ladyff1481
6th Gear

I agree that renting a trike would be of great benefit. You're probably going to find that the only rentals will be at the Harley dealerships for the TriGlide. Go to a bike rally and try out the trikes and Spyders. Most will have a demo ride, even many of the dealers will have a demo ride too. Maybe a used Trike off Ebay until he knows what he wants and likes.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to side track your thread, but if your dad isn't totally set on a TG suggest that he looks at the Spyder RT model. I love my Ultra Limited and hate the idea of not owning a HD but the people at Bombardier have done their homework with the Spyders. I'd be in a dilema and would have to drive both three wheelers before deciding on either. Good luck regardless and enjoy.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peeweesenior
My dad is looking at getting a trike and wants to know what people don't like about them. He is going to rent one to check it out but was wanting to hear from someone who has put some miles on one.
Renting one for a weekend is an excellent idea to help your Dad make his decision. A short demo ride really won't be long enough....

My 2012 triglide is about a month old .....2200 miles....it is way too much fun to ride! My wife is very happy as a passenger too! Everyone's comments here are right on target.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I must live in the wrong area. When I was shopping for my TG in '09, I asked about renting one for a DAY and all I got was a blank look and a stupid smile. "Sorry, we just don't rent out our Tri-Glides". Still don't think they have a rental policy on those trikes to this day. I had to wait for the MoCo to come around with their "dog-and-pony show" to take a free 10 minute test ride.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Larry6734
Stage III
Default Trike bike

Tell your dad he will love a tri-glide, the wife and I could not be happier, have found nothing to dis-like about it.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Harley2012
Intermediate

I agree - rent one before you buy! If you will miss the leans too much, it's not for you. Other than that- it's the way to go.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:11 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

I had my 2011 Road King converted, mostly because of my wife's health issues.

You really don't notice a lot of difference when you're going straight ahead, but it's definitely different going thru turns. It's more like riding an ATV than a bike.

I did not get the rake kit originally, but I added a 5 degree rake kit later. It was like going from manual steering to power steering.

If you have issues that make riding a bike a problem, a trike is definitely the next best thing.

Quick Reply: what do you not like about having a trike