Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

OEM or Conversion Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
Overall, how do you like your Trike, what is your opinion on owning a Trike; good and bad?

I had my 2011 Road King converted to a trike.

Between buying a new Road King and paying for the conversion, I spent more than I would on a new TriGlide.

BUT, I got what I wanted.

The only thing I would have done differently was to get the rake kit up front. I had decided to wait to sell some parts before I order it, but I should have bit the bullet.

I'm dealing with the steering, but it's kinda like going back to manual steering on a car after getting used to power steering. It works, but it takes some effort.

Otherwise, my wife enjoys the trike FAR more than she liked going on on the bike. And I feel much steadier.

It was a good move for me.
I see you went with the Hannigan trike kit...why settle for less when you can have the best...just compare the IRS components...less is more...

Old 07-17-2014, 10:07 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a lot of good choices out there. Technology has advanced so much they are built better and a lower cost compared to the past.
I could write a book on different kits. I had a csc cobra performance trike it was great. It was on a goldwing platform. Good ride, handling.
I just finished a Mystery ISS for my super glide. It out handles the CSC by a long shot.
Short and light.
You can never go wrong with a Champion, mortortrike, Mystery, Frankenstein just to mention a few that I have experience with.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

[QUOTE=mike191;12986315]I have a stock 97 Ultra and have been dreaming about a trike. I have major nerve damage in one leg and holding up a bike is very difficult. My Ultra is low, low mileage but is the the original 1340. I have read about power and front rake. My question is, Can this year successfully be converted, what kit and what extra do I need to do? Thanks

Yes, your bike can be converted. Just about any of the major brands of conversions will do. I have a Champion but CSC, Roadsmith, Hannigan, DFT, Lehman, Motortrike, are all good. You have enough power, but more is always better. Get reverse and I suggest mechanical reverse over electrical reverse. Get raked trees to make handling easier especially at low speeds. I prefer independent rear suspension over solid axles because they give a much smoother ride. Avoid buying individual pieces parts and get a complete kit and get your kit from one of the majors. Check out the Trike Talk forum. Trikes are great and handle way better than those without one think. They are also way more fun than those without one think. It's different because a trike has rocking side to side motion that a 2 wheeler doesn't have, but once you get used to that, they are a blast.

Last edited by roadking2000; 07-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM
mike191
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=roadking2000;13024608]
Originally Posted by mike191
I have a stock 97 Ultra and have been dreaming about a trike. I have major nerve damage in one leg and holding up a bike is very difficult. My Ultra is low, low mileage but is the the original 1340. I have read about power and front rake. My question is, Can this year successfully be converted, what kit and what extra do I need to do? Thanks

Yes, your bike can be converted. Just about any of the major brands of conversions will do. I have a Champion but CSC, Roadsmith, Hannigan, DFT, Lehman, Motortrike, are all good. You have enough power, but more is always better. Get reverse and I suggest mechanical reverse over electrical reverse. Get raked trees to make handling easier especially at low speeds. I prefer independent rear suspension over solid axles because they give a much smoother ride. Avoid buying individual pieces parts and get a complete kit and get your kit from one of the majors. Check out the Trike Talk forum. Trikes are great and handle way better than those without one think. They are also way more fun than those without one think. It's different because a trike has rocking side to side motion that a 2 wheeler doesn't have, but once you get used to that, they are a blast.
What are the advantages of mechanical vs electrical reverse?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=mike191;13027784]
Originally Posted by roadking2000
What are the advantages of mechanical vs electrical reverse?
The advantage is that you are basically using your bikes tranny and whatever engine you have to go in reverse with a mechanical. With an electric, you are using a electric motor to move the bike backwards, and it's either on or off. Go or no go and one speed. With mechanical your reverse motion and speed is controlled by the throttle and clutch just like when you are going forward. I can easily back up any incline that my bike can climb going forward. With electric, not so much because you are depending on the power of the electric motor, not your gas engine, to back it up the hill. Also, there are way less failures with mechanical and you are not adding an additional electric component to your trike. That's my take on it. Some guys are perfectly happy with their electrical reverse, but I chose mechanical.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Jack the Machinist
6th Gear

I have a stock 97 Ultra and have been dreaming about a trike. I have major nerve damage in one leg and holding up a bike is very difficult. My Ultra is low, low mileage but is the the original 1340. I have read about power and front rake. My question is, Can this year successfully be converted, what kit and what extra do I need to do? Thanks

P.s. I am 70.

I converted my 1997 FLHTC with a DFT kit a couple of years ago. The mildly massaged 80-incher had enough power for solo riding, even two-up, but pulling a trailer up mountain passes was a slow-lane deal. The motor was kinda tired with 75k on it, including some pretty hard miles by the previous owner. It brinelled a rod bearing pulling the trailer after several thousand miles and I installed an S&S 111 touring motor. It's a rocket now.

If you're not planning on pulling a trailer, the 80-incher will be fine, but you'll want something like an Andrews EV-27 cam and some Cycle Shack slip-ons if you don't already have that stuff. You'll also want a raked triple clamp.

Best thing to do is to log onto the Trike Talk forum. Lots of people there have done conversions and have a lot of experience. The moderator also sells raked triple clamps for about $200 less than anyone else (same piece, just cheaper.)

P.S. I am only 68.

PM me if I can help.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:36 AM
mike191
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jack the Machinist
I converted my 1997 FLHTC with a DFT kit a couple of years ago. The mildly massaged 80-incher had enough power for solo riding, even two-up, but pulling a trailer up mountain passes was a slow-lane deal. The motor was kinda tired with 75k on it, including some pretty hard miles by the previous owner. It brinelled a rod bearing pulling the trailer after several thousand miles and I installed an S&S 111 touring motor. It's a rocket now.

If you're not planning on pulling a trailer, the 80-incher will be fine, but you'll want something like an Andrews EV-27 cam and some Cycle Shack slip-ons if you don't already have that stuff. You'll also want a raked triple clamp.

Best thing to do is to log onto the Trike Talk forum. Lots of people there have done conversions and have a lot of experience. The moderator also sells raked triple clamps for about $200 less than anyone else (same piece, just cheaper.)

P.S. I am only 68.

PM me if I can help.
Thanks! Great information!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 AM
mike191
Intermediate

[QUOTE=roadking2000;13029137]

The advantage is that you are basically using your bikes tranny and whatever engine you have to go in reverse with a mechanical. With an electric, you are using a electric motor to move the bike backwards, and it's either on or off. Go or no go and one speed. With mechanical your reverse motion and speed is controlled by the throttle and clutch just like when you are going forward. I can easily back up any incline that my bike can climb going forward. With electric, not so much because you are depending on the power of the electric motor, not your gas engine, to back it up the hill. Also, there are way less failures with mechanical and you are not adding an additional electric component to your trike. That's my take on it. Some guys are perfectly happy with their electrical reverse, but I chose mechanical.
I never thought about those situations! Great information, I need to get this done for next season! Thanks for the information!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

[QUOTE=mike191;13031820]
Originally Posted by roadking2000

I never thought about those situations! Great information, I need to get this done for next season! Thanks for the information!
Another thing to ponder is that you don't have to do the entire thing at once. There is no reason why you can't do say, the reverse now then the conversion later. Even the raked tree can be done now. Those items don't take a lot of time to do and you would be on your way. I did mine all in one shot during the winter. Another addition you may want to consider is a parking brake. I don't have one. In situations where I'm worried about the bike rolling, I park it in gear and if it's steep enough, I wrap a piece of a velcro strap around the front brake lever and grip to keep the brake engaged. It's cheap, easy on and off, not noticeable, and easy to store when not in use. I researched a lot before I did my conversion and I couldn't find anyone that was sorry after they did it. Some guys were wondering what the hell they did to a perfectly good bike soon after doing it, but their opinion changed once they got the hang of the handling. My advice on that aspect of trike riding is to try and forget about the side to side motion and concentrate on keeping the front wheel in the middle of the lane. They are stable as heck, but it feels like it wants to throw you into the ditch until you get used to the sideways motion. With 2 wheels you don't get that effect but with the wide back end, one side may be up a little while the other side is down making the bike lean. It's still going straight, but the rear tires are on 2 different planes and it feels really unsettling till you get the hang of it. Oh, and keep your feet up at the stops. It won't fall over.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 AM
mike191
Intermediate

"Oh, and keep your feet up at the stops. It won't fall over."

Funny, and I have read that before!

Quick Reply: OEM or Conversion Trike?