Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

OEM or Conversion Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Jack the Machinist
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike191
"Oh, and keep your feet up at the stops. It won't fall over."

It does take a little getting used to....

Old 09-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Question, doesn't the IRS in a corner cause the rider to lean to the outside of the turn?

I use to ride those ATV's w/a straight axle and I know the feel but never have ridden a IRS axle.

Doing some research now to see if I want to buy a used bike and convert it to my liking or buy a used trike.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 09-28-2014, 05:25 AM
elmo771
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I converted my wife's 06 Softail into a trike. I used a complete kit From Frankenstein. She loves it. She was thinking about a new Triglide but at 35,000 it was to much money. With her bike being paid off. The total pkg was only 7090.00 for everything. In our case it was the perfect answer. I did the conversion myself in a period of two days, and still have all the original parts.

Attached Thumbnails OEM or Conversion Trike?-rake-kit-install-001.jpg  
Old 09-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Very nice-Do or will you add reverse or is it not that heavy?

Thanks for the pic-nice,
Jim

Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollbar
Question, doesn't the IRS in a corner cause the rider to lean to the outside of the turn?

I use to ride those ATV's w/a straight axle and I know the feel but never have ridden a IRS axle.

Doing some research now to see if I want to buy a used bike and convert it to my liking or buy a used trike.

Thanks,
Jim

The cornering differences between a straight axle and IRS is minimal. You have to really be pushing it pretty hard to notice any real difference. Where the difference is noticeable is on regular streets that have pot holes, dips, and unevenness which is pretty much everything but the 4 lane divided highways. If you ride your trike like a road racer, then you will notice a cornering difference. If you ride even half way sensibly there is really not much cornering difference. I tried both and went with IRS for the smoothness I experienced on most roads. In town, on country roads, on state and county roads, the IRS was much smoother and more comfortable. The straight axle had a lot more left right swaying, and jolting on most roads and wasn't nearly as smooth of a ride. I tried a Tri Glide, a Lehman straight axle, and Roadsmith, Champion, and CSC IRS trikes. The CSC was the smoothest. The Tri and the Lehman were pretty much a tie for least smooth. I got the Champion.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Rollbar
Road Captain

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Jim

Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 AM
mike191
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
The cornering differences between a straight axle and IRS is minimal. You have to really be pushing it pretty hard to notice any real difference. Where the difference is noticeable is on regular streets that have pot holes, dips, and unevenness which is pretty much everything but the 4 lane divided highways. If you ride your trike like a road racer, then you will notice a cornering difference. If you ride even half way sensibly there is really not much cornering difference. I tried both and went with IRS for the smoothness I experienced on most roads. In town, on country roads, on state and county roads, the IRS was much smoother and more comfortable. The straight axle had a lot more left right swaying, and jolting on most roads and wasn't nearly as smooth of a ride. I tried a Tri Glide, a Lehman straight axle, and Roadsmith, Champion, and CSC IRS trikes. The CSC was the smoothest. The Tri and the Lehman were pretty much a tie for least smooth. I got the Champion.
What about the Champion made you choose them if the CSC was smoothest?

Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mike191
What about the Champion made you choose them if the CSC was smoothest?
Looks more than anything. The CSC is pretty long. The rear wheels are behind the passenger seat. The Champion has the wheels under the passenger part of seat like any Harley 2 wheeler or a Tri Glide. The CSC is a full 6 inches longer. I just couldn't get over the long look of it, and where the rider sits in relation to the rear wheels. The CSC is also wider. I also liked the forum of the body on the Champion better. It has a squarish, Tri like rear end. The CSC has a more rounded back end. So in the end, looks won out. The length and the width add to the overall smoothness of it, but the trade off with the general look difference wasn't enough to sway me to get the CSC. If the only thing I considered was ride quality it would have been the winner. Many guys have them and love them. They are well made like many others are, but the overall look of it just wasn't me.