Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Best Toy Hauler for a pair of Hogs to pull behind a 1/2 Ton Truck?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 AM
SlagleRock
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Toy Hauler for a pair of Hogs to pull behind a 1/2 Ton Truck?

OK, so I posted similar elsewhere on the boards but think this is the best place for it.

I own a 2006 Ford F-150 with the 5.4L V8. I'm seriously considering a toy hauler so I can include the family on some of my cross country shenanigans. As you can imagine a family of four doesn't ride together easily even on a Road King Classic, LOL.

Anyway, for those of you with experience with toy haulers in specific what advice do you have?

I want a bumper tow (no fifth wheels) since I only have a 1/2 ton truck and I own it (no payment). I've been told I'd definitely want to invest in a weight distributing hitch and electronic brake control. Outside of that what other things do I need to consider?

This toy hauler will get regular use for weekend camping trips but will also serve to take me, the family and my Hog to some of the further rallies and events across the country.

Advice, inputs, suggestions are all welcome!

Thanks all.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Consider the tow capacity of your truck and the weight of the TH. The equalizer hitch is great, they too come in # requirements so make sure everything matches up to your maximum tow capacity or exceeds it.

The TH will have an on board battery to stop the trailer if there is a disconnect while moving. The battery will engage the electric brakes, be sure you have a battery tender hook up to keep it charged. Not only for an emergency but for a DOT road check. They hand out awards for dead trailer brake batteries like they do for not cris-crossing your emergency chains in an X pattern.

Truck mirrors... some states have requirements to size of the mirrors that correspond to the trailer length.

Transmission cooler... Highly recommend one if you don't have one already. You will be using your tranny shifter a lot as well... off the hwy way always take it out of OD and use your tranny to slow down as well. Maintenance on your tranny should be increased. If the book says fluid and filter at 30K then do it at 15K. A happy tranny = a fun trip.

Blinker relay... make sure your truck has a heavy duty blinker relay so it can handle the extra load of the trailer lights. Older model trucks don't necessary have a strong relay. (My 05 Titan did as well as my 12 Hemi Ram so maybe your 06 150 does as well)

The rest of the discussion would be for the TH itself. Length, height, beds, bath, A/C, propane capacity, power hitch, awning, generator, water capacity... on and on and on... (things to consider when matching truck to trailer specs and family size)

You are doing the right thing... get as much info on the little things before you spend the bucks.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Look at your GVWR and GCWR. Try to not go more than 20% over. This will give you an idea of what your looking at. Some states may not let you register a larger trailer if you dont have the truck to pull it and some law enforcement jurisdictions will ticket you for over weight if the stickers dont add up. You also cannot remove the stickers or it will be impounded.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 PM
SlagleRock
Novice

Thanks for the advice, fellas! Keep it comin'! This is definitely one of those things I'd like to get right the first time!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In general, toy haulers are extremely heavy so I'm thinking you may really be asking allot of a 5.4 v8 coupled with a 1\2 ton truck with an auto trans. JMHO but I think your going to regret almost any toy hauler you purchase with your current truck.
With that being said, they do make some small bumper pull toy haulers. My neighbor owns one but it is small & there is just him & his wife. Unless your kids are young, (small) I believe you would be stuffed rather tight in a toy hauler your truck would be capable of pulling. Best of luck as I hope you find something that will meet your needs, but been there done that. I ultimately bought a diesel pickup for my needs & wish I would have stuck with my plan of buying a 6 speed manual. $5k later my auto trans does the job nicely...Best of luck.

Clay

Old 02-20-2012, 02:13 AM
SlagleRock
Novice

I also considered just hauling the bike in the bed of my truck and then pulling a camper behind. That said, the idea of loading an 800lb monster in and out of the truck bed just isn't appealing.

Originally Posted by klaybus
In general, toy haulers are extremely heavy so I'm thinking you may really be asking allot of a 5.4 v8 coupled with a 1\2 ton truck with an auto trans. JMHO but I think your going to regret almost any toy hauler you purchase with your current truck.

Clay
Thanks Clay, this is one of my primary concerns.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at Forest River's Work and Play models. There was another couple of manufacturers that made a similair product. The ones I'm thinking of had the profile and appearence of an enclosed motorcycle trailer but it also had manually operated tip outs like a pop-up camper would They were available with small kitchen areas as well as bathroom/shower areas also. Can't remember the name right now or the site but I certain you could do a search and find them. Living areas were shared with the cargo floorspace by means of fold down units.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SlagleRock
I also considered just hauling the bike in the bed of my truck and then pulling a camper behind. That said, the idea of loading an 800lb monster in and out of the truck bed just isn't appealing.

Thanks Clay, this is one of my primary concerns.
No problem. I'm not trying to **** on your parade but for a family of four & with the weight of most toy haulers it just seems as though a toy hauler large enough for your family would probably be too much for your current truck. Like I said, been there done that. Good luck regardless of which way you go......

Clay

Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been looking at toy haulers myself. I came across these and thought they were pretty good set-ups if you are looking for light:

Livin Lite Toy Haulers

Also, check out the Forest River series of Toy Haulers. The only problem you will really have is that the bikes will have to come out to use the livable space in a lot of the floor plans.

Good luck!

E

Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 AM
SlagleRock
Novice

Originally Posted by klaybus
No problem. I'm not trying to **** on your parade but for a family of four & with the weight of most toy haulers it just seems as though a toy hauler large enough for your family would probably be too much for your current truck. Like I said, been there done that. Good luck regardless of which way you go......

Clay
I can see it now...

Me: Babe, I'm trading the 150 for a 350.
Wife: Why, what's wrong with your truck?
Me: You just got a $50K SUV you aren't allowed to ask why!

LOL

Originally Posted by ernster500
I've been looking at toy haulers myself. I came across these and thought they were pretty good set-ups if you are looking for light:

Livin Lite Toy Haulers

Also, check out the Forest River series of Toy Haulers. The only problem you will really have is that the bikes will have to come out to use the livable space in a lot of the floor plans.

Good luck!

E
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Toy Hauler for a pair of Hogs to pull behind a 1/2 Ton Truck?