Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

1990 Ultra Trike

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 PM
pigbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Ultra Trike

I have a 1990 ultra that I have considered putting on a trike kit. My concern is the 80ci engine going to have enough power for a trike. My engine was rebuilt with new .5 over pistions Andrews 27 cam, new lifters, pushrods, Dyna 2000p ign, Dynojet CV carb, K&N air filter.

I wouldn't want to put a trike kit on it and find out it was a dog, due to the smaller engine. Any comments or has anyone already tryed this.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which kit are you considering?? The Frankenstein kit for example would be the lightest in my opinion for added weight. I have a Motortrike kit and my kit assembly added another 175lbs of additional weight. Thats about average of most kits with bodies some are more some a little less.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you would be able to compensate for lack of power by gearing it different. Changing sprockets. Your top speed will be reduced but Unless you will be drag racing
it it shouldn't be too big an issue.
Or you can build/buy a huge
Cube evo. That may be your best bet. S&S sells them iirc.
Good luck with your project. Don't forget to start a build thread with pics.
I like seeing the trike builds. Some of the innovations guys have to incorporate to make things work can get pretty cool.
Good luck

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted my 1991 FLT with a Frankenstein rear end. It has stock motor with 68,000 miles, ride two up with wife most of time, and have no power problem. Your 1990 already has the lower gearing many later model owners are installing. Be sure and change out triple tree or it will not handle correctly as is.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a friend that put a sidecar on an 80 inch EVO. So under powered that he had to go to 100 inch, change gears, etc. and it is still under powered if he runs Interstate a lot.

With the 80 inch he was always in 4th gear. I know the sidecar is heavier than the trike, but you are still going to be under powered, especially two up.

Bill

Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
pigbike
Advanced

I wonder if a sidecar is more of a strain on the engine then a trike body. The sidecar is way off center and being dragged along by the bike. The trike axle is pushing the bike forward, and is where the power meets the road. It is also centered and not such a drag on the entire bike.

Anyone ever own both, and have the answer?????

Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pigbike
I wonder if a sidecar is more of a strain on the engine then a trike body. The sidecar is way off center and being dragged along by the bike. The trike axle is pushing the bike forward, and is where the power meets the road. It is also centered and not such a drag on the entire bike.

Anyone ever own both, and have the answer?????
I have ridden a friend's side hack quite a bit, and my wife has a 2012 triglide. The sidecar is harder to ride, and it does throw the weight off to one side. This requires more power than the trike and it does not handle nearly as well. This friend has a 100 inch aftermarket engine in his, and it is still lacking in a lot of respects. I have ridden probably 30,000 miles with him and this rig and it is adaquate, but not great. With the original 80 inch with carb work, cam, pipes, air cleaner, and lower gearing it was totally inadaquate, especially two up. He may as well have not had 5th gear.

The trike my wife has is a 2012 with 103 inches, 6 speeds, and lower gearing and while it is quite adaquate, it is not over powered by any means.

An 80 inch needed some work to be really good in a two wheeler, mine had a cam, carb work, air cleaner, and pipes, and it would not have handled a trike to my satisfaction. My 88 inch had pipes, air cleaner, and remap, and it would not have been enough for a trike if you want to run interstate speeds or climb the Rocky Mountains on a regular basis.

Not trying to rain on your parade,but if you are used to a two wheeler 80 with the mods you are showing in your sig, I am betting that you are going to be really disappointed in your conversion unless you go to a bigger engine.

Bill

Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
CJax92
Intermediate

I built a 74' trike in the early 70's and loved it. I had no power issues.
I just finished a '92 softtail 80" Evo 5 speed., havent gone thru all the gears yet, that will happen Monday. I'll let you know how it go's and if I can figure out how to get the pic's out of my phone I'll post them. :-)>

Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 PM
pigbike
Advanced

I decided to buy a trike and did so today. Thanks for all your comments

Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pigbike
I decided to buy a trike and did so today. Thanks for all your comments
Congratulations. good choice.