Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:35 PM
greybeard.3
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring harness

I have a 2012 Tri- Glide, am considering purchasing a trailer to pull behind it. Anyone have suggestions for a wiring harness,trailer hitches,or problems?

Old 12-25-2012, 01:53 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

I have a 2011 Triglide, I got my hitch from www.mchitch.com. Most hitch makers can set you up with the correct wiring harness. I haven't had any problems.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:27 PM
greybeard.3
6th Gear

Thanks,I see you got the rear lift kit . How do you like it?

Old 12-25-2012, 07:43 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Greybeard,

I really like the lift kit; I haven't draged the pipes since I installed the kit. Also, I think the handling improved since more of the weight was transfered to the front wheel. That's just my opinion, I don't have anything to prove that.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:12 PM
bandjw01
Novice

2012 Tri Glide. 5 wire trailer. Rivco Plug-In Trailer Wire Harness for Touring Models. Can't find trailer light plug on my Tri Glide? Can you tell me which plug it is?
Feeling Stupid!
Bob

Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I also have a 2012 TriGlide. I bought my hitch from a dealer on Ebay.The hitch came with a wiring harness that plugged directly in line with the existing electrics. Took only a couple of minutes to install. The hardest part was routing the wires to the back of the trike. I also have installed a lift kit on mine. I consider it a necessary upgrade if you are going to haul a trailer. It brings the rear up a little higher, improves ride and handling. I bought mine from tGlidestuff. The parts were flawless and the customer service was top notch. If you get a lift kit, you might also consider getting the shim kit, that they sell, to level out the TourPack. It kind of completes the look.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 AM
bandjw01
Novice

Originally Posted by cochon
I also have a 2012 TriGlide. I bought my hitch from a dealer on Ebay.The hitch came with a wiring harness that plugged directly in line with the existing electrics. Took only a couple of minutes to install. The hardest part was routing the wires to the back of the trike. I also have installed a lift kit on mine. I consider it a necessary upgrade if you are going to haul a trailer. It brings the rear up a little higher, improves ride and handling. I bought mine from tGlidestuff. The parts were flawless and the customer service was top notch. If you get a lift kit, you might also consider getting the shim kit, that they sell, to level out the TourPack. It kind of completes the look.
Could you give me brand name or part number or even e-bay seller? I found parts by Khrome Werks #720760 but can't find anyone that carries this one. my 2012 Tri Glide has an 8 pin Multilock connector for the rear lights. All I can find have 6 pin Molex connectors? The trailer I bought has a 4 pin flat connector so I have to go from 5 wire on the Tri glide to 4 wire at the plug. I called J&P Cycles and they were unable to help me??? Said they had nothing for 2012 Tri Glide?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The hitch that I have was made by a company named Curt. I did a quick web search and didn't find anything offered from them. However, I typed in, "Harley Davidson TriGlide trailer hitch", and got all kinds of hits. The hitch that I bought included a plug in wiring harness that took me from the 6 pin molex to a 4 pin flat connector with no problems at all. Really, it was a snap to install. While I didn't see Curt hitches offered, thar doesn't mean that they aren't available, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a different hitch from another reputable company either.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 AM
bandjw01
Novice

To Those interested in Cheaper hitches and trailer wiring for 2012 Tri Glide (should fit all years Tri Glide). I bought my hitch on E-bay for $107. I ordered Rivco part # HD007-12 from J&P Cycles for $26.99 and bought Hopkins Universal 5 wire to 4 wire Converter part # 48895 for 24.95.
The Rivco part has the 8 pin multilock connector to fit the Tri Glide. Then you need to use connectors to hook the 4 wires to the Hopkins converter. The ground wires from each part are put under any bolt on the frame.
No need for a isolation unit if you have led lights on the trailer.
Hope all this is helpful to someone! Took me some time to figure out what to buy and I did order a few parts that did not work Kuryakyn does not have anything for this application. J&P Cycles tech Support was no help, nor was any Harley dealer. After I got the right parts it was easy to install and it all fit nicely under the seat.
My trailer is a Shadow from Mini Trailer USA. Made in Cushing Oklahoma.
Ride Safe and God Bless
Bob

Old 06-07-2014, 08:14 AM
bandjw01
Novice

I forgot to mention the Hopkins part came from O'Reilly Auto Parts.