Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trailer wiring question

I finished up my Harbor Freight trailer build last night and was doing the wiring while talking to a friend, and he enlightened me about the magic of diodes. My original plan was to have separate lights for turn signals and brake lights, as my reading has pointed out that the electricity will back-feed through the wiring and not allow the lights to work properly. I currently have a jeep with front brake lights for this very reason, so I know this is true.

Anyways, here's what I have now. The top lights are brake only, but can be easily made into running lights and brake if I choose. Bottom lights are running lights and turn.:

What he said is that a diode only allows electricity to flow in one direction. Logically if I put the diodes in the correct places the lights will work right. Assuming that is correct, I'd like to make all lights work correctly, Stop/Turn/Tail, and add a plug to make the top box more easily removable. I was already looking at the trailer and picturing other stuff that can be done if the box was removed. (beer cooler, parts hauler, maybe my dog wants a ride, etc)

So, umm, where should I put the diodes? I would think one on each light coming out of the brake side, to keep it from back feeding the harness, meaning 4 total. Right?

Here's a few more pictures for the heck of it. Wires are hanging loose in these, it was getting dark and I wanted to snap a few pics before it was too late:

Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Fuzzybeard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest way is to get a converter that adds brake light function to your turn signals. I used the one from Biketronics

http://www.biketronics.com/products/...ilStopper.html

Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzybeard
Easiest way is to get a converter that adds brake light function to your turn signals. I used the one from Biketronics

http://www.biketronics.com/products/...ilStopper.html
I've seen them before, but it seems like instead of spend $60 I should be able to add two $5 diodes and do just as good. I've never used diodes before though, so I could be wrong.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Fuzzybeard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right, saving money is always good! I found it on Amazon for $42 at the time, plus I have the trailer wiring tied directly into the Biketronics module. That way if I have any problems I can unplug it and be back to stock in a few minutes.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is simplest way to wire your bike to your trailer >> http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc...er_adapter.htm

In line Diode wont be needed since your trailer lights are LED ( Light Emitting Diodes ) from what I see in your pictures

As long as your turn signal bulbs on the MC are incandescent you wont need a turn signal module. If your MC has LED turn signals then you should have already had one installed

Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joules,
Your in the right direction using diodes. Diodes will protect the delicate electronics on the bike. Should a short occur it will protect the bike and is absolutely necessary.
If your competent in electronics you can do it yourself. I would strongly suggest you buy one on such as on ebay. Most auto parts stores carry them. I have the Hopkins #48895. It will make your installation very easy, looking professional and completely protect your bike.
It's a straight plug-in-play install except for the wires to the trailer connector. Everything is clearly labeled and should take about an hour.
Spend a few bucks cause it's worth it.
My 2 cents.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM
GoofySB
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

[quote=FLTR2008TRIKE;11526625]This is simplest way to wire your bike to your trailer >> http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc...er_adapter.htm

Will that work on a 4 wire trailer? Just combine the run and brake outputs? Should I add diodes if I use this adapter?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHProadkill
Diodes will protect the delicate electronics on the bike. Should a short occur it will protect the bike and is absolutely necessary.
A diode will only allow electric to flow in one direction, but electric is only going to flow in one direction in a simple trailer light hookup anyway, it is going to go from the source to ground, it can`t go any other way.

A diode will do nothing to prevent damage in the event of a short.

The easiest way to isolate the delicate electronics of the vehicle from the trailer lights is to use a trailer light module.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...lid_state.html

This unit is powered by the vehicles battery.

The individual light circuits do not power the trailer lights, they just provide a signal to the module, the module sends power from the battery to the lights.

It does not matter if you have regular bulbs or LED

This unit is weather proof (I just installed one on on my car).

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-05-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Hopkins. I have the same setup on mine. No problems for over 5 years.