Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Ural vs Sportster w/sidecar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Bloke, that looks real sturdy. Problem with the Ural sidecar is the odd clamshell grips on the car frame that grip ***** on the bike frame, haven't seen anything else like it. But I also have almost no experience with other kinds of sidecars.

This gripping thing fits into a tapered plug on the sidecar frame, so when it's tightened, it clamps down. Doesn't look real strong to me, but youtube videos show these rigs taking ridiculous punishment without breaking anything. This arrangement does make for minimal hardware on the bike, though I'm not concerned much with that; sidecars aren't exactly elegant anyway with the necessary struts and exposed framework.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Bloke
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the sidecar fittings and start afresh. I bought an Indian "universal " kit, it's the best deal you will find.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Imold
another old guy

Originally Posted by Bloke
Remove the sidecar fittings and start afresh. I bought an Indian "universal " kit, it's the best deal you will find.
I didn't think of that, but looking at it, the front tapered clamshell grip arrangement is all welded. But a large bolt could be run through it with the "clamshell" piece removed. I should get serious with checking into putting that Ural sidecar on the 883, I think that would make a better rig for the street - worst I ride on are dirt farm roads, sporty handles that ok.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:50 PM
Bloke
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Imold
I didn't think of that, but looking at it, the front tapered clamshell grip arrangement is all welded. But a large bolt could be run through it with the "clamshell" piece removed. I should get serious with checking into putting that Ural sidecar on the 883, I think that would make a better rig for the street - worst I ride on are dirt farm roads, sporty handles that ok.
It's unlikely you will be able to make use of your Ural fittings, the lower ones anyway. Post some pics of the Ural sidecar, the bike side and we will be able to see what's needed. Until then it's guesswork.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 AM
Bloke
Intermediate

Frame Mounting *****. If you are trying to fit a Russian sidecar to a different bike these will help you. The two lower mounts on a Russian sidecars have clamps that fit over ***** welded to the original Russian motorcycle. These ***** are exactly the same size as the welded ones from the original bike but they are designed to be bolted on and have a 12 mm thread at one end and step up in diameter in stages. Overall length is 105 mm. There will still be a lot of work to do before the Ural sidecar is fitted to your bike, but these are the hardest bit to make.
£35.00
Priced each

Part - SC/***** each
£35.00

Old 08-31-2016, 03:00 PM
Imold
another old guy

The more I think about it, the more I think for what I've been using it for, I'm better off just keeping the Ural rig, and if I ever do try sidecar touring, just get a good rig like a Liberty that my S&S powered Tour Glide could easily handle - expensive, but I'm getting old and I can't take it with me. But thanks for the suggestions, who knows, I may try anyway someday.