Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

hitches

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 AM
SmokerMI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hitches

Greetings

I was hoping that there would be a sticky thread about what I am going to ask.

i have a new 2014 limited and had entertained the thought of putting a hitch on it and pulling a trailer. However I am hearing from some people that putting a hitch on my bike would void the warranty and my 7 year extended service plan.

Thoughts ? Helpful insight please ?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM
danny4127
Intermediate

That is correct will say that in manual

Old 05-28-2014, 06:11 AM
SmokerMI
Cruiser

Then why do people put hitches on their new bikes ?

Older bikes I understand.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably take the hitches off when they have warranty work done on their bikes. I have an older bike and been pulling a trailer for 3 years, its awesome for multiple day get a ways...

Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Concours
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hitches do not void the warranty .. however, just like any other brand (Honda, Yamaha, etc, etc), if HD can prove that the install (not necessarily having a hitch), but the install, or the pulling of a trailer, or another modification (and this includes Stage "whatever" upgrades not done with HD parts or through HD dealers) is directly responsible for the failure of the item you seeking warranty relief for, then they will deny that particular warranty claim .. but void the warranty, no!

If your clutch fails and you've been pulling a trailer, HD likely will not honor the warranty to repair the clutch. But then again, same can be said for other brands as well. Some HD dealers actually sell hitches and install them..sell trailers too. Other dealers will sell you the hitch, but won't install (my dealer ). But most will straight up tell you they will honor the warranty for all repairs if you bring the bike into them for service, but can't speak for other dealers if you're traveling. All the dealers in my area will do warranty work if your bike has hitch.

There is a great thread in the Delphi Forums, both in the Trailer Towing Forum and in the UltraGlide Forum regarding HD and warranties, Extended Warranties (third party), and what law (state & federal) say companies can and can't do when it comes to warranties.