Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Street 750 first mod.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM
WYKKED
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindownthehwy

It's also interesting because Australia will only be getting the Street 500 for sale at their dealers. Probably something to do with their import restrictions on motorcycles. Of course I also assume a 750 can be purchased from the US and imported to Australia by a person.
Australia is only getting the 500 because all new riders are restricted to a bike under 660cc for the first 3 years of their riding so a 500 should do very well, but the 750 wouldn't find the same market.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryt87
I agree. I rode from 74 til 87 when I got my Low Rider on nothing bigger than a 650, and had plenty of fun doing it, including touring. In 74 a 750 was considered a big bike.
I've known the rare adventurous soul that's gone "touring" on a 250cc motorcycle and they had a blast. A person can literally go touring on a 50cc motorcycle if they want to. Everything I take when I go on my road trips fits in about a one-cubic-foot backpack that I could easily wear on my back or bungee onto the seat of a 50cc motorcycle. Yes, it would take a lot longer to get from Point A to Point B but touring has never been about the destination as much as the journey and going slow makes the journey better.

As far as I'm concerned some of the large cuisers are "recreational vehicles" more so than motorcycles. They're like taking a Winnebago as opposed to a sports car on vacation. The Winnebago will get you there in luxury but the sports car is a lot more fun.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:22 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WYKKED
Australia is only getting the 500 because all new riders are restricted to a bike under 660cc for the first 3 years of their riding so a 500 should do very well, but the 750 wouldn't find the same market.
On anther forum dedicated to the Street 500 and 750 I'm finding that about half of those purchasing these motorcycles are long time riders. It's a mistake to believe these motorcycles are only for inexperienced riders and I assume there are lots of experienced riders in Australia. If Harley is simply not exporting the 750 to Australia based upon this then Harley is downright stupid. I would think that if the Harley dealers want the 750 then Harley should be willing to ship the 750 to Australia but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Thanks for the review and comparison between the Street and the Sportster.
My wife has been considering one, seems like it would make a nice step up from her Shadow 600.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 PM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

On a personal note I'm trying to get my bother's grandson (whatever that makes him to me LOL) to get his M/C endorsement (he will next spring) and I'm buying him a Cleveland Cyclewerks Heist to learn on. As I recall it's a 250cc bobber for one-up riding that will be an excellent learning motorcycle for him. Eventually he will inherit the Street 750 chopper I'm building as a tribute to my brother and I want him to know how to ride it.

Now the Heist is a " beginner" motorcycle IMHO.
Thanks for supporting a Cleveland-based biz.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I've known the rare adventurous soul that's gone "touring" on a 250cc motorcycle and they had a blast. A person can literally go touring on a 50cc motorcycle if they want to. Everything I take when I go on my road trips fits in about a one-cubic-foot backpack that I could easily wear on my back or bungee onto the seat of a 50cc motorcycle. Yes, it would take a lot longer to get from Point A to Point B but touring has never been about the destination as much as the journey and going slow makes the journey better.

As far as I'm concerned some of the large cuisers are "recreational vehicles" more so than motorcycles. They're like taking a Winnebago as opposed to a sports car on vacation. The Winnebago will get you there in luxury but the sports car is a lot more fun.
I could not agree with this post more. This is why I opted for two used bikes rather then a brand new spanking bike like a street glide--that I think are 100% awesome machines and what I would have bought had I decided to go new. But I ride a used low mileage 03 Ultra when I wana go touring, and you could not have described it better --a Winnebago on two wheels. My wife loves to ride and two up, around town or state to state this is a great ride. Comfy is a word I would use more then pure fun. Oh its fun, just not real sporty fun feeling. You can walk pretty much right after 3 tank fulls in a day though. Ah but just me running around, I have a used 2000, another low miles,Heritage Softail Single seated, V&H Long shots and some other goodies. This bike to me screams fun! Its all in what you like. Like you I have been a long time rider-I'm 55 of many different styles and brands of bikes. I had a Honda CL 175 outta high school I rode from Ohio to Florida on. Loved every second of it.

I was at a dealership in Sunbury Ohio "A D Farrow's" and they has a 750 street on the floor. I didnt ride it but I did sit on it and leaned her back and forth and sat back and leaned forward and played with the pegs a bit--you know all the stuff we do on any new bike. I liked it, have no idea how it would really ride out on the road. My guess is real nice and sporty feeling. At one time I had a 1952 650 K Model--one of Harley's flat tracker bikes, mine was street and one of the few not cut up for flat tracking. But the bikes had a very similar feel from what I could remember. The 750 street seemed lighter, and probably is. Cool bike, I liked the looks and feel of it. I'm not gonna buy one so I'm not gonna test ride a bike I have no intentions a buying. If someone ever offers to let me take theirs for a spin, I'm not turning it down!

Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kwn36
Thanks for supporting a Cleveland-based biz.
Hopefully I can find a used one to save some money and that only indirectly supports Cleveland Cyclewerks. They are cool motorcycles though and Johnny Pag also offers some relatively small displacement bobbers. I just like the single seat so he can't carry passenger while learning as well as the small size which teaches basic motorcycle skills that you don't get by jumping onto a larger motorcycle in the beginning. I'd also like to see him do a little dirt riding (which I never did) because I think that also provides motorcycle skills that are applicable to the street such as knowing how to handle situations where you loose rear tire traction.

When he's competent then I'll give him the tribute 750 chopper that's dedicated to my brother and his grandfather.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Just got the SE stage I breather kit for it and chrome engine guards today. The look of the breather does not change much. Just the SE cover over the stock cover. The new internal parts are to hold the square K&N filter in place.

I add an engine guard to all my bikes. Since I'm continually moving them around in the garage I felt one of these days I may drop one. May save a scratch.

Exhaust and tuner next. The camera was mia for a while. Found it in the XL1200T saddlebag tonight. Pic to follow tomorrow.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 AM
shovelhead FXEF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Reindeer
Thanks for the review and comparison between the Street and the Sportster.
My wife has been considering one, seems like it would make a nice step up from her Shadow 600.
My wife bought the street. Even with my efforts to try to push the sporty. She loves that street and hated the feel of sporty. Damn thing is fast

Old 12-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Lentini93
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Just got the SE stage I breather kit for it and chrome engine guards today. The look of the breather does not change much. Just the SE cover over the stock cover. The new internal parts are to hold the square K&N filter in place.

I add an engine guard to all my bikes. Since I'm continually moving them around in the garage I felt one of these days I may drop one. May save a scratch.

Exhaust and tuner next. The camera was mia for a while. Found it in the XL1200T saddlebag tonight. Pic to follow tomorrow.

Excited to see the pictures, and final product of this bike. I'm going in 2015 to Sturgis, so I'll deffinatley want to check it out in person.

I personally am not a fan of the streets, but, to each their own. I think it looks ugly, and reminds me of an alien with the gas tank, and a vespa with the turn signals, but that's just me.

Ride safe,

Quick Reply: Street 750 first mod.