Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Street 750 first mod.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:38 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Lentini93
Excited to see the pictures, and final product of this bike. I'm going in 2015 to Sturgis, so I'll deffinatley want to check it out in person.

I personally am not a fan of the streets, but, to each their own. I think it looks ugly, and reminds me of an alien with the gas tank, and a vespa with the turn signals, but that's just me.

Ride safe,
I think they look kind of cool for the price. I also think it's about time the Mo Co built a lighter starter bike so people can start out on a Harley.
But that's just me.
Good thing we all don't think the same way, life would be boring.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shovelhead FXEF
My wife bought the street. Even with my efforts to try to push the sporty. She loves that street and hated the feel of sporty. Damn thing is fast
I was told by the service advisor at my Harley dealer that the Street 750 is faster in the 1/4 mile than the 1200cc Sportster and owning both I believe it. Of course the Street weighs about 100 lbs less and that makes a huge difference in both accelleration and handling.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I think they look kind of cool for the price. I also think it's about time the Mo Co built a lighter starter bike so people can start out on a Harley.
But that's just me.
Good thing we all don't think the same way, life would be boring.
I'd like to see Harley re-introduce 21st Century versions of the Harley 50, 90, 175, 250 and 350.

The following users liked this post:
80ci (12-07-2017)
Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Lentini93

I always stay at the Elkview Campgrounds as base camp. I am going to Laughlin as I always do also. I stay at my son's house in Vegas. Haven't decided on what bike to take there yet.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

i think the streets are cool, when i did my MSF course at the local dealer for the discount on the insurance, they just got a new batch of 500's in for the "riders edge course" it was a fun little bike very nimble

The following users liked this post:
Jack Ryan (07-24-2016)
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindownthehwy
Let's put it this way, I wouldn't pick a big twin for road trips. My road trips are solo and I don't require a big twin. I don't need saddle bags because I travel very light and I also avoid "freeways" as much as possible. My preferred routes are always "backroads" where a perfect day of riding probably averages about 45 mph. My choice was a Sportster as opposed to a larger cruiser like a Street Glide or Road King and it is a perfect "road trip" motorcycle for me.

We can also note that road trips may not be a priority at all for the owner. There are millions of riders that just don't do road trips on a regular basis. In my first 25 years of riding I never took any real road trips. At most I made a few two or three day rides and that's not really a road trip. I can take off for two days with nothing more than what I'm wearing.

Before I tore down my Street 750 for my chopper project I put 1,000 miles on it (just to make sure it wouldn't break before I voided the warranty) and I made a couple of 200+ mile round trips to Canada. The Street was an exceptionally good motorcycle for those rides. Comfortable and easy handling on the backroad highway I took. It wouldn't be as comfortable as my Sportster if I was doing 400 miles a day and doing it for a week but it was very good up to probably 300 miles although I never rode it that far in a single day.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Street for two-up riding from Seattle to Daytona on I-5 and I-10 but how many really make that ride? Hell, many going from here to Sturgis trailer their large Harleys as opposed to riding them.

By today's standards the Street is a very good "medium size" motorcycle that is perfect for millions of riders. It is not a "beginners" motorcycle and I don't actually think a person should be learning on 500cc and 750cc motorcycles. I learned a lot from riding 70cc to 250cc motorcycles when I was young that I wouldn't have learned starting out on larger motorcycles. Of note I never learned to ride a motorcycle in the dirt and I think my riding ability is less because of that. Riding something like a 125cc dirt bike when I was young would have been a good learning experience for me. IMO

On a personal note I'm trying to get my bother's grandson (whatever that makes him to me LOL) to get his M/C endorsement (he will next spring) and I'm buying him a Cleveland Cyclewerks Heist to learn on. As I recall it's a 250cc bobber for one-up riding that will be an excellent learning motorcycle for him. Eventually he will inherit the Street 750 chopper I'm building as a tribute to my brother and I want him to know how to ride it.

Now the Heist is a " beginner" motorcycle IMHO.
Proof you don't need a big twin. This guy rode his 1972 140cc ct70 from Louisiana to Sturgis and back.
http://www.dualsportridersoflouisian...ing-to-Sturgis