Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

What do you think of the Street 750/500? (moved by FXD2003Rider)

Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By analogy this is very much like the arguments against inter-racial marriage and same-sex marriage. Same argument in a different decade.

In 2001 there was resistance against the introduction of the V-Rod that has turned out to be an exceptionally good Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The V-Rod is not the Harley of choice for many of us but the owners swear by them. Today we have the Street 500/750 that are the "little brother" of the VRSC and we're hearing exactly the same arguments against it by basically some of the same people although most in the Harley community have accepted the V-Rod today.

Yes, like other Harley's some of the parts are made in India. So what? The Roots Horn on most Harley's is made in India. Do we really care about that? How many of us wear "official" Harley-Davidson apparel that's made in China? Do we really care about that?

I'm not really a fan of the styling of the Street 500/750 but I can still appreciate the motorcycle and it most definately is a Harley just like any other Harley. We can't be stuck in the past and must accept changes. These are exceptionally good motorcycles and even if we're not into the style or water-cooled ohc engines they're still damn good motorcycles.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Tilter
I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike being made in India.
For the love of God read the post above yours.
ALL STREETS SOLD IN THE USA ARE BUILT IN THE USA.
Go to any bike news story on the web read it, they always make it clear the USA models are built here, in the USA.
The Mo Co should advertise that.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Tilter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right; I was wrong. It doesnt matter where it was made. it doesnt matter that a bonneville is essentially the same price. with a blindfold on you can tell its a harley through and through - well I cant but i'm sure you guys could. i hope harley sells a ton of them here and elsewhere. I hope it brings new and younger riders into the harley brand. i hope harley supports them with a ton of cool accessories. One of my best buddies who has never ridden but wants to thinks it's cooler than ANY other harley at the dealership. They had a flat black one with a few mods next to a CVO Heritage (I think) and a tricked out street glide that had me thinking about taking a third job or re-upping in the reserves. He thought the street blew both of those away. He didnt notice the horn, he didnt notice the rear springs he just loved the look and then he swa the price. If it gets him on a bike harley has achieved his goal and ive got another riding buddy.

i also think that the one that vijay singh designed is awesome looking.

http://www.motoroids.com/features/in...eet-750-build/

For the record I don't care where it's made but i was wrong about them being made in India. I think its pretty smart of harley to build ours here and the rest in india:

http://smh-d.com/dragon_press/2014-h...re-is-it-made/

Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 AM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser

If it gets him on a bike harley has achieved his goal and ive got another riding buddy.
Bingo - We have a winner. If it also makes him a fan of Harley-Davidson then it's a double bonus.

When I purchased my Street 750, before I tore it apart for a chopper project, I really enjoyed riding it for the first 1,000 miles. It reminded me of a Suzuki 650 I had in the 1970's and that was a great motorcycle to ride. Like many others I've owned all different brands of motorcycles before mostly settling down to Harley. I can honestly say I've never ridden a motorcycle that I didn't enjoy. When it really comes down to it the fact is that it's probably the other Harley owners as much as the motorcycles that made me a loyal Harley rider. Yes, I love the 111 year traditions and the "American Iron" aspect of Harley but it's more that even that.

Where I see a possible problem is with the old "locked into air-cooled pushrod" Harley owners that might disrespect the Street owner like many did with the V-Rods. The Street may not be your cup of tea but that doesn't mean it's not 100% Harley and all of us should respect that fact as well as those that choose to purchase one. Look for the positives about this motorcycle, how it will result in more Harley owners, how it fits a niche that no other Harley can do. Be positive if you love your Harley because someone else is going to love their Street Harley just like you love yours.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Tilter
Tourer

[QUOTE=smokindownthehwy;13519299] I really enjoyed riding it for the first 1,000 miles. [quote]

what about after the first 1000 miles?

Old 12-24-2014, 10:44 AM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smokindownthehwy
I really enjoyed riding it for the first 1,000 miles.
what about after the first 1000 miles?
It's torn down for use as the foundation for a custom old school chopper build basically using the engine/transmission. I'm currently held for some U-bend tubing for the exhaust system that was back ordered and won't be in until early January. I'll obviously be prototyping a rigid frame, custom girder fork, custom wire spoke wheels, custom forward foot controls, and a multitude of other items required.

I'm actually quite excited because the first "completed" part for the project was just finished. I'm going with copper plating as opposed to chrome and working with Dakota Digital they've just finished the assembly of the speedometer I'll be using. I had to send out the housing, backplate, and screws to be copper plated and then then Dakota Digital did the assembly. It was just shipped yesterday and is supposed to arrive on Jan 2nd. Decorative Industrial Plating is doing the copper plating for me and they've also been very helpful. I'll have a ton of work for them, down to even the engine bolts, before I'm done. Without the wonderful support of so many vendors no one could complete a project like this. I haven't even seen a picture of the speedometer yet but I've been told it's beautiful and was shown all around at Dakota Digital. I'm dying to have it arrive so I get to see it too.

I plan on having the chopper project complete for Sturgis this coming August.

Last edited by smokindownthehwy; 12-24-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Tilter
Tourer

http://touch.cycleworld.com/home/136019#1

Interesting points

Old 12-26-2014, 02:26 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser

http://touch.cycleworld.com/home/136019#1

Interesting points
A very interesting read but off the mark on many issues although I agree with some of the conclusions.

For example I don't believe that either the Street 500 or 750 is really a good first motorcycle for anyone. I would recommend starting out smaller as well as having a little dirt riding experience (mentioned in the article). Even a 500cc motorcycle is a relatively large motorcycle historically.

I'd also state that the Yamaha Star Bolt is really a comparative motorcycle to the Sportster as opposed to the Street. It's air-cooled, like the Sportster, and obviously doesn't compete in performance with the water-cooled V-twin engine of the Street 750. I believe it's unfair to the Yamaha Star Bolt to compare it to a Street 750 and a far more fair comparison if the 883 Sportster is the comparison even though the Bolt has a larger engine.

Of note my Street 750 achieves about 55 mpg in general mixed highway and city riding and with a 3.5 gallon tank going 150 miles while still having reserve fuel was not uncommon for me. My Sportster, on a good day of highway riding, gets about 45 mpg and with the 3.3 gallon peanut tank needs gas about every 120 miles although I typically gas up between 90-100 when the low fuel warning light comes on. Around town that drops to about 35-38 mpg on my Sportster. Of note the Sportster low fuel warning light comes on with about 1 gallon left and the Street low fuel warning light comes on with about 1/2 gallon left (at about 165 miles).

In the end people also need to remember the primary difference between the Yamaha Star Bolt and the Harley Davidson Street. The Yamaha, regardless of any other considerations, is not a Harley.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I just finished installing the engine guards, SE breather, relocated the horn from sticking out the left front to under the steering tube and adding mirror extenders ( couldn't see past my arms).

Next will be a tune. If Vigilante comes out with one by spring I will go with it. If not I will add a Cobra FI2000R.

As soon as possible I will get 1K on it in the spring. Then, It is my dedicated ride to Stugis next August. No need for any type of bags as a bought a huge hiking backpack that will hold every thing that I need for the trip. I plan to do the ride there in one day as I do each year.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Tilter
Tourer

It's really too bad Honda doesn't make the nighthawk 750 anymore. I think that would make a much better comparison than the Bolt, despite the difference in cylinders. I rode both this weekend and they were extremely similar, aside from the perceived advantage the 12 year old Honda had in acceleration.

Maybe this shadow 750 RS would be a better comparison:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...-ar151998.html

Or even this one if you don't consider the Street to be a cruiser:

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/ctx700n.aspx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you think of the Street 750/500? (moved by FXD2003Rider)