Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

How good in the twisties?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Dut
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good in the twisties?

Even in the same league as a sportbike or kind of what to expect with cruisers? Anyone scraping pegs in tight turns?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
haulin
Cruiser

Stock, in the same league, not a chance.

idk how hard you ride, but I'm waiting on some parts and pieces for the forks to lower them a bit as well as toss a valve kit in the forks. Also adding on a fork brace. Waiting to hear back on some shocks for the rear, but I've heard 6 months from some guys.

Set it up properly, and I think it's going to be one hell of a machine to go out and have some fun on. Should spank a lot of other things on two wheels

Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 PM
RPMorey
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've scraped floorboards on an Electra Glide. I've scraped floorboards on a Fatboy. Now I have a Night Train, never scraped a peg on it. Front tire slides long before the peg gets there. First bike that I've ever had that needs front tires before it needs rears.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 PM
haulin
Cruiser

sounds like fun bud

Old 07-19-2015, 11:11 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

If you "lower" a bike, you reduce the lean angle before parts start dragging...

Old 07-21-2015, 04:57 PM
haulin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
If you "lower" a bike, you reduce the lean angle before parts start dragging...
Gotta love Progressive Suspension. Lower it for drag racing, jack it up for road racing. Way ahead of you, Mister.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

It will carve better than most cruisers. Tracks as well as any bike that I have ever had which is over 60 from 1956 to date.

Handles cross winds with the best of them. As soon as more get them and ride them the true gem that the Street is will be well known.

I just finished loading my hiking back pack with all the gear and will leave for Sturgis on the 30th. It will have no issue with the 80 mph speed limit in SD or the Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road, Spearfish Canyon, Vanocker Canyon or anything other road the Black Hills can offer up. All at 50 to 53 mpg.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Given that both riders are skilled no stock Harley will keep up with a sport bike.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 07-25-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

"Given that both riders are skilled no stock Harley will keep up with a sport bike."

So? A water cooled 4 cylinder 4 valve per cylinder that has been tuned to the max that the engineers can squeeze out of it and stripped it's weight to the fewest ounces possible can beat a air cooled pushrod v - twin with low compression and mild tune heavy cruiser. Just how much IQ did that take to figure it out?

I will take any one of my cruisers and challenge any sport bike rider to a ride from Key West to the Arctic Circle and see how many miles before that rider gives up. There are many different types and styles of bikes because they are for different purposes. Each does it's own thing well and other things not so well. Maybe by the time you grow up you will have learned that.

However for grins and giggles you should look at the U Tube video from Germany where the old geezer in Germany keeps beating a sport bike in a street drag race with his ancient HD.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-25-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
"Given that both riders are skilled no stock Harley will keep up with a sport bike."

So? A water cooled 4 cylinder 4 valve per cylinder that has been tuned to the max that the engineers can squeeze out of it and stripped it's weight to the fewest ounces possible can beat a air cooled pushrod v - twin with low compression and mild tune heavy cruiser. Just how much IQ did that take to figure it out?

I will take any one of my cruisers and challenge any sport bike rider to a ride from Key West to the Arctic Circle and see how many miles before that rider gives up. There are many different types and styles of bikes because they are for different purposes. Each does it's own thing well and other things not so well. Maybe by the time you grow up you will have learned that.

However for grins and giggles you should look at the U Tube video from Germany where the old geezer in Germany keeps beating a sport bike in a street drag race with his ancient HD.
My response was clear and to the point. He wanted to know if a Harley Davidson Street model motorcycle could keep up with a sport bike in the twisties. The answer is no and I said as much.

I too have been from Key West to the Arctic Circle; on a Harley. You got brand loyal chapped and read into the OPs question your own values. I don't own a sport bike but I have ridden them. For someone who is willing to be uncomfortable it would be relatively easy to out distance you on a long journey. But, as you said, the cruiser rider would be much more comfortable. However, that wasn't the question.

I've seen the old Harley vs sport bike video many times. It doesn't have any relevance to riding in the twisties, riding long distance or a stock Harley Davidson motorcycle.

Thankfully, I have enough IQ to figure that out. From one old cop to another, live and let live.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 07-27-2015 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply: How good in the twisties?