Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Harley Davidson Street 500 disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:24 PM
balushahi
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Street 500 a huge disappointment

There is no way to email the company with the complaints and phone doesn't do any good.

There has already been 2 recalls on this bike. I bought this expensive piece of junk thinking that Harley is a company with an integrity and know what they are doing and they stand by the quality of their product. THEY DO NOT.

I have had my bike more in the workshop than I have driven. The first time last October, my bike was in the workshop for a month because the part that is sensor needed for the gas tank was to be replaced, the dealer didn't have the part and Harley took their sweet month's time to fix it. Then the dealer didn't have the correct tools to fix the darn thing, so again, Harley took sweet time as per the Chester Spring Harley Davidson dealer in PA said. Finally got it fixed and winter came so there was no way for me to test drive. This summer comes and same issue with showing empty tank when it was way more than 1/2 the tank filled. Took it right back to the dealer, they claimed they couldn't reproduce the issue since I had already filled up the gas tank with my $3.

I called several time and spoke with the Harley company and they kept throwing me into dealer's den. Then to my surprise, without my consent, they went ahead and did the oil change and gave me the bill of $150. I left the bike for you to find the issue and never once I was asked or told that the oil needs to be changed after 250 miles on the bike.

So, again took it back and then tried again, but the matters instead of getting better got worse, now the bike skips so bad in the lower gears that I almost got into an accident, but by God's grace, I gave full throttle and got away with it.

Now, I'm paying installments for piece of expensive junk and the audacity of the dealer is to tell me to resell them for $4000 that I paid $10000 plus for after down and interest.

I am going to stop the payment but there is no way to get Harley to do anything. This would ruin my credit which means Harley has done wrong and the customer gets to pay the price literally and figuratively.

I'm so tired and don't know what else to do. Any guidance will be appreciated. I just want my money back.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:57 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indian Scout is a killer compared to HD 500 & 750... I think HD missed on this one. it looks like crap.. cheap plastics and really.. the 750 starts at mid 9K here... scout at mid 12k.. u can't even compare the two... as above... Vulcan and Bolt way nicer... just debage them... Harley - get your **** together.. Next generation kicking in... Victory and Indian gonna take away sales from u.. ya i know.. u have the volume... clothing... but Harley.. keeps your eyes and ears open !!... ya i have a HD and Yamaha FJ09.. two different worlds.. was looking at the HD750 to stay loyal.. but just didn't make sense. wtf i know anyways.. ride safe.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
Indian Scout is a killer compared to HD 500 & 750... I think HD missed on this one. it looks like crap.. cheap plastics and really.. the 750 starts at mid 9K here... scout at mid 12k.. u can't even compare the two... as above... Vulcan and Bolt way nicer... just debage them... Harley - get your **** together.. Next generation kicking in... Victory and Indian gonna take away sales from u.. ya i know.. u have the volume... clothing... but Harley.. keeps your eyes and ears open !!... ya i have a HD and Yamaha FJ09.. two different worlds.. was looking at the HD750 to stay loyal.. but just didn't make sense. wtf i know anyways.. ride safe.
Describing the Scout as a Sportster competition would be more accurate. The Indian Scout is a 100HP/1100cc bike that lists for $11,000 US with ABS, similar territory to the Sportster, not the 750 which lists for $7500 US without ABS.

Competition for the HD 500 & 750 are bikes like the new Vulcan S ($7400) which has slightly more power (65HP Vulcan S) vs 53HP (HD 750)) and comes with ABS, which the HD does not. It is also slightly lighter in weight, has 120/160 rubber, for better cornering grip, and has a more spacious rider position. I've ridden both and prefer the Vulcan S just for the ergonomics alone. Given the competition from the new Vulcan S as well as existing competitors from Suzuki and Star the only customers for these bikes are likely to be those who want an HD logo on the tank.

Harley is new in this market space though and this is only their first attempt. Hopefully they will learn from it and produce a better replacement/update for the 750 in a few years.

Last edited by fat_tony; 08-12-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM
Billyhog
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Motorcyclist F'ed up - I emailed my thoughts to them too.. It was a 6 bike comparison of CRUISERS. No doubt the Sportster should have been included, not the street. The Proper comparison for the Street would have been A Guzzi Stone, A Triumph Thruxton, That baby Duc that came out, the Honda 500 thingy.. Not saying the bike didn't deserve last, it was the wrong bike for the compare... The Motorcyclist compare said the same things said here... That said, I did try a 750 for ***** and giggles before I bought my T100. I found the HD cramped and uncomfortable but I didn't find it a bad bike... Compared to the bikes I listed above - I rode all of these and I found the Guzzi to be total kick ***..
I did end up buying a used Moto Guzzi V7 Racer from 2013 in the end. The HD has to wait for now, will still look at a 1200 SL-T or a Fat-Bob in the near future or it will be another Moto Guzzi.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Lighteye
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I did my MSF course on a Street 500. It started every time, responded to throttle and brake commands as needed, and that's all I have nice to say about them.

The ergonomics sucked abysmally for larger riders like me (6'3"). Not just abysmally, but painfully so.

The turn signal fixtures on all of the 12 bikes in my class were falling off and were only held on by rubber friction. It isn't due to them being dropped either, as they all had humongous crash bars front and rear...it was impossible for the bike itself to hit the ground.

If it was that or nothing, I'd make do, but being gainfully employed, thankfully I have other options available. The Street reminded me painfully of a '78 Yamaha 250. Just awful. Almost enough to make me take the class elsewhere. However, HD offered it for free to .mil folks, so I endured.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 PM
jsa3107
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know I read all this negative stuff
I hope your all telling the truth
This is an american built bike
Which if it is a good bike its good for America
I look at several forums online and dont see all the negatives listed here about this bike
Examples 2015 horns
Well maybe be poorly place but does it work
Now the 2016 it has been moved
Wires messy
2016 it has been cleaned up
Brakes for 2015 never seen any one say anything bad
But harley has updated them
You Know its kind of sad really why badmouth them if it isn’t true
I just dont get it
If you like the other brands that fine but you dont need to beat the Streets up to prove a false point….

The following users liked this post:
80ci (12-07-2017)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Lighteye
Tourer

I logged about 15 hours on one over 3 days and listed the good and bad from my point of view. It wasn't all bad, just a segment of the market that I wish HD had stayed out of as it is not their strong suit. Not my company though, I just buy and ride them.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 PM
jsa3107
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lighteye
I did my MSF course on a Street 500. It started every time, responded to throttle and brake commands as needed, and that's all I have nice to say about them.

The ergonomics sucked abysmally for larger riders like me (6'3"). Not just abysmally, but painfully so.

The turn signal fixtures on all of the 12 bikes in my class were falling off and were only held on by rubber friction. It isn't due to them being dropped either, as they all had humongous crash bars front and rear...it was impossible for the bike itself to hit the ground.

If it was that or nothing, I'd make do, but being gainfully employed, thankfully I have other options available. The Street reminded me painfully of a '78 Yamaha 250. Just awful. Almost enough to make me take the class elsewhere. However, HD offered it for free to .mil folks, so I endured.
You know my wife took the Harley approved safety and riding course
I find it very odd that all the bikes in your class ALL of the bikes had the turn signals falling off
In my wife's class none yes I said none had them falling off
I have seen many Streets as i have stopped at rallies and never seen one that the mirrors are falling off
I also have a very hard time believing that dealers are conducting classes with all the turn signals falling off the bikes
Why is this hate for Harleys allowed on a Harley forum when it isn’t proved and it plain to see it is biased….
All said with all due respect….

Last edited by jsa3107; 09-08-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Lighteye
Tourer

Every time we would finish a drill and park on the Ts...we had to stick lights back on. Not every bike every time, but definitely multiple ones after every drill. It was kind of humorous after we saw that they simply slid back on.

I mean hell, I learned to ride again after a 30 year hiatus on it. Like I said, it goes and stops like it was designed to do, it was just not something I would expect to be bearing the HD name. It is definitely a small naked street bike, and that's all it can really ever be.

I just don't think it's HDs niche. I get that they are trying to draw in a younger and maybe less monied crowd with the Street series, I just think it's a decidedly odd direction to take the business in. The profit margins have to be obscenely low on these judging by the price. If that was all I knew of HD, I'd still be on a metric bike.

How someone else gets their wind therapy isn't a problem for me.
I don't give a flying donut what anyone rides, just that you enjoy what you have. Peace.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:27 PM
jsa3107
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lighteye
Every time we would finish a drill and park on the Ts...we had to stick lights back on. Not every bike every time, but definitely multiple ones after every drill. It was kind of humorous after we saw that they simply slid back on.

I mean hell, I learned to ride again after a 30 year hiatus on it. Like I said, it goes and stops like it was designed to do, it was just not something I would expect to be bearing the HD name. It is definitely a small naked street bike, and that's all it can really ever be.

I just don't think it's HDs niche. I get that they are trying to draw in a younger and maybe less monied crowd with the Street series, I just think it's a decidedly odd direction to take the business in. The profit margins have to be obscenely low on these judging by the price. If that was all I knew of HD, I'd still be on a metric bike.

How someone else gets their wind therapy isn't a problem for me.
I don't give a flying donut what anyone rides, just that you enjoy what you have. Peace.

You can hate the streets
Many of us like what they add and those that take the harley class seem to really like them
But you said The turn signal fixtures on all of the 12 bikes in my class were falling off and were only held on by rubber friction. It isn't due to them being dropped either, as they all had humongous crash bars front and rear...it was impossible for the bike itself to hit the ground.
Now you back away from you saying all the bikes did this
The class my wife took none yes none had mirror issues
I say its great the company made these bikes
it will lead to future bike bike riders
Why did you feel the need to bash and say all were having mirror issues?

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Street 500 disappointing