Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Looking at a demo Street 750, need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Well you asked the forums opinions and you got a few answers.Bet you had already made up your mind.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:43 AM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Save money ,get a used Honda Shadow or similar....
Never buy a first year vehicle unless they want to give it to you.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Demo bikes are never broken in properly.

The people riding them either don't know how to ride or beat the living crap out of it - both result in premature catastrophic failures.

Warranty claims will probably be an issue because of the above statements.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

When you go to trade in a bike at any Harley dealership they tell you that your accessories are worthless. Tell them the same thing and tell them to discount it further. Or call them and tell them you have a used one you want to trade in with the same specs and see what they say they will buy it for.. LOL.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 AM
Bwelsh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to make a little better deal. As previous said, extras aren't worth **** on trade in.

That said, we have a Street and love it! Very fun to ride. There is a recall on the fuel pump right now, make sure they do that before you take it.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,353 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Seriously? A VRod is your recommendation for the first time rider? A beginner?

To the OP....the Street is a great bike for beginners, smaller riders, those that live in urban areas.

Check out a lot of different ideas for your "first bike"...and what to get to learn on.

Consider the fact that you may dump it...since you're a beginner. Not saying that as an insult..just as a reality, something that happens more often for beginners. I'm talking dropping the bike, laying it down when moving it out of your garage or parking it or slow maneuvers. That increased risk on a brand new bike you're making payments on is a pisser. So consider getting a used bike....save a few thousand.

Granted...since the Street is fairly new there aren't many used ones for sale yet...but you'll see more and more as time goes on.

Sportsters are traded in frequently, and the used market on them is filled with lots of good deals. They are a tiny bit smaller than a "Big Twin" model...and lighter, yet....slightly more top heavy.

A used Dyna can be found for a good price..plenty of them on the market too.
Yes a VRod ,were I live I see girls riding larger bikes then sportsters all day long.
And if a chick can do that then a guy should be able to start on a large bike. All of my friends that I thought how to ride started on Dyna's and I was the guy on the 83 XLX Sportster. The cool thing is THREE of them are still riding that same bike today . Two have a 83 sturgis and one is still on his 84 Wideglide !

Old 09-13-2015, 09:05 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Personally, I would not buy this bike heres why..
* The street bikes - Every dealer I know uses these as there training bikes. 1200 miles / 2000 km, even if it is a non-trainer. That's a lot of different guys pounding the **** out of it. IMHO, Its a lot of miles..
* The options are not expensive that you mentioned
* The 2016s are here and the dealers want the 15s off the floor
* I'd rather have the new bike for just a few bucks more - Worst case, the clutch is chewed due to this bike was demo'd by newbies...

Im not feeling it..

Old 09-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,539 Likes on 3,055 Posts

I think that they can offer a better deal than that too. Their "$1200" in accessories is more like $600 their money. I'm not afraid of the demo part, but I wouldn't pay much over a couple of hundred over invoice for the bike and accessories both, combined.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:30 AM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with a lot of these guys. I'd rather have a brand new bike for the same money and add accessories on my own.

The street is a great bike, for beginners and daily riders alike.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM
SCJoe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why even bother with a Street? You're paying a Harley premium for a cheapo throw away bike...might as wel just buy a used import to learn on. Then, once you're ready, buy a REAL Harley.

Quick Reply: Looking at a demo Street 750, need your opinions