Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Pros and cons of the Street 750.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 AM
Irie1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Ron said. Street is much more controllable for me. I had a Honda Shadow Aero before and wasn't as happy as I am now. FWIW, I'm not tiny either.

Bottom line, if she's not comfortable, she won't ride.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:30 AM
rchop
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well thanks everyone for there points of view, Let me see if I can hit them all. My wife is a bit scared of the hole two wheel thing. As most are when starting out on two wheels. I have in the past made the option of a softail like the lowrider and the wide glide. It seemed too heavy for her. I have made the sport 750 an option for her. She really likes the free wheeler and I am not sure if that would be a good fist bike for her to ride. She will not be doing long rides as of yet. She still needs to obtain the M endorsement on her license. So thanks again everyone.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rchop
Well thanks everyone for there points of view, Let me see if I can hit them all. My wife is a bit scared of the hole two wheel thing. As most are when starting out on two wheels. I have in the past made the option of a softail like the lowrider and the wide glide. It seemed too heavy for her. I have made the sport 750 an option for her. She really likes the free wheeler and I am not sure if that would be a good fist bike for her to ride. She will not be doing long rides as of yet. She still needs to obtain the M endorsement on her license. So thanks again everyone.
I have a friend that bought his wife a trike because she was afraid of the bike he bought her. He ended up with a trike payment and she still didn't ride! Some people are just not cut out for the sport nothing wrong with that. Just saying

Old 02-23-2016, 04:53 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The Street bikes are very easy to ride and get comfortable to ride as a beginner. She will feel at home on it in a short amount of time. if she takes the motorcycle learning course through a HD dealer they use the street 500 ( same size bike with smaller motor ) for the course and see will get time on the bike to see how she feels on it.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by georgewerr
The Street bikes are very easy to ride and get comfortable to ride as a beginner. She will feel at home on it in a short amount of time. if she takes the motorcycle learning course through a HD dealer they use the street 500 ( same size bike with smaller motor ) for the course and see will get time on the bike to see how she feels on it.
I was just about to post the same. I took the course the first time on a 250, then rode a 250 automatic scoot for 6 months. When I bought the Sportster (used) it was fine, but I wasn't having any fun on it (even though I loved the bike). When I traded in for the Street, I decided to retake the class through HD, for the two-fold reason I'd be taking it on the same kind of bike I own, and I'd be increasing my gear experience. I am glad I did this. It made a world of difference in my comfort level.

I am glad I took my time, too. Glad I started on the automatic and glad I took the class twice. Was it needed? Probably not. But did it change my attitude and comfort levels? Absolutely. For the record, I kept the scoot and I enjoy both! And I ride one or the other, daily!

The following users liked this post:
Missexeccph (11-26-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 09:57 AM
DocC3
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycbrewster
I was just about to post the same. I took the course the first time on a 250, then rode a 250 automatic scoot for 6 months. When I bought the Sportster (used) it was fine, but I wasn't having any fun on it (even though I loved the bike). When I traded in for the Street, I decided to retake the class through HD, for the two-fold reason I'd be taking it on the same kind of bike I own, and I'd be increasing my gear experience. I am glad I did this. It made a world of difference in my comfort level.

I am glad I took my time, too. Glad I started on the automatic and glad I took the class twice. Was it needed? Probably not. But did it change my attitude and comfort levels? Absolutely. For the record, I kept the scoot and I enjoy both! And I ride one or the other, daily!
I agree, I took the HD Riders' Edge on the Street 500 and rode a Street 750 last year. I have also taken additional MSF classes that complimented the HD class. It was the dealer sales rep who recommended that I take the class to make sure riding a motorcycle was something I really wanted to do. Only after I was sure I felt comfortable did I buy a bike. This year I traded the Street for a Sportster. The weight and balance were not as big an issue for me as they were when I first started riding and I wanted to have ABS. Like others have said, HD dealers let you test drive their motorcycles so make the most of this opportunity to compare options.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Make sure she can be comfortable on the 750. If you plans are for longer rides, it may not be the bike for her. You did not mention a Softail as a option, but they are a very stable and comfortable bike.

I find highway use of the Street much more comfortable than the Sportster (less vibration). The stock seat isn't unbearable...I've done 400 miles in a day and just began to feel it. However, I will be upgrading the seat for my fall trip. All-in-all I find the Street very compatible for touring. The windshield is sufficient and there are many options for saddlebags.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 PM
leitmotif
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at one of these for my first bike. I really dig the look and the price is right for my range. I'm a dude and this will be my first bike. I'd love an Iron 883 but they are a bit out of my price range.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by leitmotif
I'm looking at one of these for my first bike. I really dig the look and the price is right for my range. I'm a dude and this will be my first bike. I'd love an Iron 883 but they are a bit out of my price range.
I would imagine you should be able to find a used Iron 883 in the same price range as a new Street. You may have to bide your time, but if you let a salesman know. I'm sure they'll keep an eye out for you and work with you, as 883s have high turn-over rates. Making your interest known should help.