Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good!

The following users liked this post:
Hellbilly562 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Hoping to hear good things about the lowered shocks regarding longer rides and comfort level. I am thinking about getting the shorter shocks and the Mustang seat. But would the lowered shocks cancel out the comfort gain of the Mustang seat? Would the advantage of the lowered rear end be cancelled out by the height gain of the Mustang seat? I want both a lowered bike and a more compfy seat, is it possible to gain both, without feeling like it would have been the same as if I had just left it stock?

Last edited by Ycbrewster; 05-10-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycbrewster
Hoping to hear good things about the lowered shocks regarding longer rides and comfort level. I am thinking about getting the shorter shocks and the Mustang seat. But would the lowered shocks cancel out the comfort gain of the Mustang seat? Would the advantage of the lowered rear end be cancelled out by the height gain of the Mustang seat? I want both a lowered bike and a more compfy seat, is it possible to gain both, without feeling like it would have been the same as if I had just left it stock?
I posted on the other site....but I think you'll be happy with both....with the seat, are you trying to gain height or just comfort? Mel complains about the seat as well....honestly, I think it's the shape...not so much soft or firmness of it....it just doesn't look comfortable.....I told her about you chiming in and asked her to log in and talk with you on the other forum....maybe you can get some better insight directly from her....

Old 05-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

The stock seat doesn't really bother me, but so far I have only taken day rides. I want to do NC in the fall and I was thinking I should get a more comfortable seat. Regarding the height, I'm short. The idea of a rear end that drops 2 1/2 inches is appealing to me. The bike is easy to manage, but I'd love to manage it even better.

I like the Mustang seat, but everyone I've asked says I will gain height (not what I want at all)-how much and will it be a problem for me? Well, those with opinions cannot say, as height is not an issue for them. I like the idea of dropping the rear end a couple of inches, but again, I don't want it at the expense of losing comfort.

I guess I want it all, I want my city/commuter bike to function well as a touring bike, too. And still be ideal for my short stature...all without dumping too much money into her (although, a seat and a different set of shocks seem to be reasonable costs if I'm getting what I want.) But will these get me what I want? Or will they kind of "neutralize" each other's purpose - causing me to both lose desired inches (shocks) but then gain the inches back (with a larger seat) or gain comfort (with a larger seat) but then lose that comfort with a rougher ride (shocks). If that's the case, why spend the money at all?

Old 05-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hellbilly562
I posted on the other site....but I think you'll be happy with both....with the seat, are you trying to gain height or just comfort?
I do not want to gain height. That is the part that is turning me off. I cannot afford the additional height. I manage okay, but I have my struggling moments, too. Which is why I love the idea of lowering it with the Burly shocks.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

Okay. I'm going to do it. I'm getting a "part not compatible with your bike" message on the shocks. Did you get the same message? Did you have to alter it in any way? Thanks for all of your help guys. Don't forget to have Mel come over to the QOTR forum. Would love to have another Street as part of the group!

The following users liked this post:
Missexeccph (11-23-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

Okay. I'm going to do it. I'm getting a "part not compatible with your bike" message on the shocks. Did you get the same message? Did you have to alter it in any way? Thanks for all of your help guys. Don't forget to have Mel come over to the QOTR forum. Would love to have another Street as part of the group!
I posted on the other Street forum.....no alterations to the bike.....took me like 30 minutes to install....had to remove the muffler to get to the lower right shock bolt because the stock shocks push the swing arm down more....with the shorter shocks, it pulls it up.....hope that makes sense.....it's very easy and straight forward....just make sure, if you're doing it yourself, to have the right size hex/star sockets.....they are some funky sizes.....on the left side I used a set of vice grips on the lower bolt because I did not want to strip out the head of the bolt......

Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

I assumed they were for a Sportster and not Street specific, but it doesn't hurt to confirm before ordering. Thanks for the updates. I'm very excited.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

I assumed they were for a Sportster and not Street specific, but it doesn't hurt to confirm before ordering. Thanks for the updates. I'm very excited.
You're welcome and I'm excited for ya...lol.....that's what makes these forums great....neighbor helping neighbor.....I tried to get further info from that mechanic on the other site but he hasn't logged in for months....so I just said the hell with it and pulled the trigger on ordering them......

Old 05-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

Installed the left side cover and a better picture of the belt guards removed....replacing that ugly front sprocket cover soon.....

Quick Reply: Street Pics......