Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Our 750 modification thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Ceddie
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

on the topic of new handlebars, grips and mirrors: having bought this bike used, we don't know if the current handle bars that are on it are stock or extended reach. without another street right here having a known example, how would you go about telling if they have been changed?

the idea is to go to chrome, extended reach bars, if these have already been swapped, then I wont need to run a new clutch cable or fuel lines!

Last edited by Ceddie; 12-30-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:39 AM
Snowdonia Rider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Taking the rubber gaiters off the forks has completely transformed the bike That's the first I've ever seen a Street without them, it looks great

Old 01-01-2017, 10:27 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

I kinda liked the grooves purple chrome stuff.... Looks good, enjoy.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Ceddie
Advanced

so Saturday morning we added the V&H V2) breather. also swapped over the the screaming eagle 10mm plug wires.
the breather trimmed up the profile of the right side quite a bit, made the bike louder on the in as well as the out and changed the performance dramatically.
I don't know if the heavier plugs/wires helped but the bike was sluggish to respond while cool, it seems to warm up a little faster now.

Stock intake:

V2O intake with 'skullcap' cover.

as expected, it took about 20 minutes on the road for the 02 sensor to balance but after it did, there is a noticeable difference in the responsiveness of the bike. We haven't checked top end yet (before or after any of the mods... no reason to exceed 80mph and the street got there stock with no problem)but off the like, more air totally changed the feel of the acceleration.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Snowdonia Rider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceddie
so Saturday morning we added the V&H V2) breather. also swapped over the the screaming eagle 10mm plug wires.
the breather trimmed up the profile of the right side quite a bit, made the bike louder on the in as well as the out and changed the performance dramatically.
I don't know if the heavier plugs/wires helped but the bike was sluggish to respond while cool, it seems to warm up a little faster now.

as expected, it took about 20 minutes on the road for the 02 sensor to balance but after it did, there is a noticeable difference in the responsiveness of the bike. We haven't checked top end yet (before or after any of the mods... no reason to exceed 80mph and the street got there stock with no problem)but off the like, more air totally changed the feel of the acceleration.
More of the cylinders in view now Interesting to hear about the difference in performance.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Ceddie
Advanced

I don't know if there is MORE power, I don't have a measurable standard to qualify that statement but the response is more immediate and deliberate. When I roll on with the throttle, the acceleration feels like I downshifted without changing gears... that is a poor description but it is the best I can come up with. and My Wife loves it.
she has more room for her knee closer to the tank and she can react in traffic more decisively.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:05 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,371 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Tuned correctly, the 750 is a hundred horse engine.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Ceddie
Advanced

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Tuned correctly, the 750 is a hundred horse engine.
what are you doing to get that kind of HP? I'm finding dyno charts listing anywhere from about 38-54 hp.

my 07 dyna super glide custom with a 96ci only hits about 68 hp...

Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,371 Likes on 2,947 Posts

The Street series of engines are considerably more efficient than our bigtwins. Specifically, the path of torque being shifted from the crank to the chaincase, then back to the transmission. This costs a lot of torque!
Now, as far as my claim of 100 horse from a Street 750, yes, it's possible but I don't know how long it would last. Depends on cooling system saturation. But, if it only had to last 1 race...
Think wild cam, 13.5CR, lots of flow bench work, huge valves and intake exhaust that's tuned to take full advantage of these mods, and you should be in the hunt. Think "Ducati..."

Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Ceddie
Advanced

No question on the economy of effort (efficiency) the 750 is a powerhouse! I'm loving the off the line energy. If it was my primary ride, I'd need to mess with the ergos a little but it still is quite a joy to ride.

Harley really knocked it out of the park with the streets

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Our 750 modification thread