Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

750 General questions. UK

Old 01-20-2017, 02:53 PM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 750 General questions. UK

I have three bikes at the moment, a Fireblade, X11 and Sportster.

I am thinking of setting up the sportster to be more touring focused, saddle bags big screen etc, however I need a work/quick journeys and so forth, I am fed up of spending hours in the garage working on bikes and was looking for atleast having a brand new bike that I wont have to do to much work on for a few years.

So I was thinking between a 2017 Triumph street triple or a HD Street 750, yes I know these bike are worlds apart, but one is what I want and the other is what I need.

I have test ridden a 750 in the past and I was quite surprised at how much I liked it.

So questions.

What would you say you didnt like about the bike

What did you like about the bike

How well does it do all year round riding.

Fuel, whats it like for fuel consumption.

Good or bad experience?

Servicing costs.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Ceddie
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For what it is, there are very, very few down sides to the Street. Ours is a'15 and HD has already addressed some of it's shortcomings.
The street is quick, light and very easy handling as an urban run-about. For me at 6'1" and ~300lb the ergonomics leave something to be desired, my wife (5'4"-~133) is a much more pleasing match for the ride.
you were asking for upsides and negatives, first the negatives:
-the breaks seem are a little mushy on the 14 and 15 but HD has addressed that.
-the bike is unsettlingly quiet. the may not be a down side for you but in my opinion, it is a safety issue.
-Harley, in an effort to keep the cost down, cut some corners that leave the bike less 'finished' than what I expect from the brand. EX: the wireing could be run in a more concealed manor, the controls are stamp metal not cast or formed, the lights are flat ovals like stock scooter lights not the classic Harley bullets, lack of self canceling directionals like HD uses on the big twins, the horn is a joke, both in placement and volume... several of these HD has addressed.

Now the positives:
-The bike runs SMOOTH. it is really easy to ride.
-The balance is very light and the bike practically turns itself.
-The liquid cooled motor is much more manageable in traffic on hot days than my Dyna.
- The 6 speed is nice on open road, while it is primarily an 'in town' bike, it is still very capable of cruising at highway speeds.
- As with all Harleys, the street is easily customizable for functions as well as for taste.
Now for the big two benefits that out way all the others.
- The mileage. I was skeptical at first when I saw the size of the tank but the bike gets about 50 mpg around town so only having a 3 gal tank is not really an issue.
- The cost. The Street is affordable. It is just that simple. With the Street line, Harley Davidson made a bike that is within the financial reach of a great many more people than previously was the case.

All that said. With a set of bags and a windshield, the bike is great around the city or on the open road. My wife is a daily rider on our street for work commute about 35 miles a day in city traffic)We have ridden the equivalent of York to Portsmouth on highways and bi-ways (I detest limited access freeways, the suck the life out of a ride) and were none the worse for wear at the end of the trip. we have zero complaints about the street.

As to cost of maintenance... I don't know. The local dealership is AWESOME!

I hope that answers some of your questions. shout out if there is anything else more specific that you need!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:22 PM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGit12
1. What would you say you didnt like about the bike
I also have a 2015 model, so some of my complaints have been corrected by Harley in the 2017 model (or is optional to correct).

The mirrors are probably hands down the first problem you'll notice with the bike. The stock mirrors are TERRIBLE, and should be replaced ASAP. I swapped mine with an after market Rivco brand, which work much better.

I also dislike the sound the stock exhaust gives. It's not really bike-ish. I think more sewing machine when I hear it.

Another thing is the brakes are not ABS. The 2017 model has that option now; I don't know the laws for UK, but if it's not Mando for your country then it's an optional feature.

I find the placement of the rear brake pedal awkward; it's a bit low for my comfort. It starts out basically parallel to the ground, but my preference is a more incline.

I am 5'7", 135lbs and the stock settings fit me perfectly, but if you're heavier it may be less comfortable.

2. What did you like about the bike
It's very balanced and easy to handle. I love the heritage that comes with owning a Harley; as an American, I feel prideful. This is the bike I learned on, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it's very easy riding.

3. How well does it do all year round riding.
I've only ridden so far in winter/wet conditions (or as far as my knowledge of the UK goes, your daily driving conditions) and it does fine. Starts up easy, and rides strong.

4. Fuel, whats it like for fuel consumption.
I've not official clocked it, but I say I average out about 45-50mpg city. The fuel light comes on about 100 miles in, which I find odd since there's usually around 1 gal still in the tank when I fill up, but whatever.

5. Good or bad experience?
Over all I'd say a good experience. It's a great little bike. However, I'd say it's probably best as a starter bike. I would think someone with other bikes would want something more powerful/more comfortable than this particular model, but it's not a knock off the bike. It's just fairly basic in all that it has, such as lack of cruise control, no stereo, no windshield, no saddle bags, no heated grips, or anything else.

6. Servicing costs.
I've yet to have my bike serviced by anyone other than myself, so I've no experience in this.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Excellent reviews above chaps, thanks for that. For Git's benefit I think I'm right that all new bikes over a certain (small) size have to have ABS for Europe now. It is worth checking the UK H-D website in detail for that info. A pal of mine bought one last year, to replace a SuperLow, and loves it. He's travelled into France and possibly further afield on his.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:19 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I put 4K on mine last year and 2K was a road trip to Sturgis. Cruised down the interstate with the best of them. 55mpg at 75 mph. The seat was comfortable. I did need mirror extensions (Kury) to see out past my arms.

The bars and footpegs start to buzz at 75 but at 80 they get objectionable. Solution: don't go over 75. However I did put some very cushy grips that I had in my bicycle repair supplies.

A single screw that holds the rear cowl, turn signals and license plate bracket backed out with the vibration and the entire assembly dropped down. It did not contact the tire as the wind held it up high enough. Rode it that way until I returned home. It was a very small sheet metal screw that fastened into the metal clip. I replaced it with a larger bolt and big washer. It will never do that again.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-02-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:09 PM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I am planning to sell my two sports bikes around May time, when UK biking season comes in an prices go sky high on second hand bikes.

I will take the Street for another test ride, hopefully the dealer will let me take it for a couple of hours so that I can give it a good run, so around September when the new street comes in I will be buying one, just got to stop dropping the Sportster till then, then a few years down the line I'll invest in a street bob too, I do like the look of those M8 engines.

The reason I am waiting till September is because by law new bikes will have to have ABS and it will also come with immobilizer and such as standard.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 AM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If felt too small for me. I am 6'
Honda Shadow 1100 has longer wheelbase.