Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

17.5 Street Rod

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Hayabusasteve
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde

BTW. how do you like your Roadster? I've read mixed reviews on them. I heard finding neutral is a bitch, and the throttle response is a bit choppy. Heard people not liking the mid controls too. I think I would have to go with the optional rear sets if I went with a Roadster. Love it's looks, just wondering what the rest of the bike does.
I'm quite a fan of the mid controls. They feel natural to me. I had to add an extended shift peg; not sure what harley was thinking. The toe peg was so short it didn't even extend beyond the hinge for the foot pegs. Either have to walk like a duck to operate it normally or put your feet on the hinges, rindering the foot pegs worthless. Extended toe peg helped a lot. No real issues finding neutral. Not nearly as crisp or wide as a japanese bike, but not worse than any other harley I've ridden.

The throttle response is ****. I ordered g2 throttle tube (stupid expensive, I usually just use $16 r6 throttle tubes on my bikes with 7/8 bars and it's tighter) and am planning to tune the bike with a power commander 5 soon. The combo should crispin it up.

The bike handles well, rides well, and is decently comfortable for me. I'm only slightly regretting going that route, but I didn't know about the street rod till afterwards. I enjoy the bike, but hopefully will ADD a Street rod down the road. I feel like the roadster is a dying breed. It's antiquated on the showroom floor, but that's part of the charm. The sporster lineup will be dead in a few years in my mind. Glad I have one of the best made.

The following users liked this post:
JekyllnHyde (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:29 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Larger diameter tires may account for a good chunk of the 30lbs.

On thing about the Street Rod is HD had it from the very beginning and waited until now to release it.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 AM
Hayabusasteve
Cruiser

any proof of that? It's not unreasonable to believe they could make this level of performance a few years ago; but it's sort of anecdotal to assume they've held onto it since then with some sort of economic purpose in mind.

Campy Roadie (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-19-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:37 PM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks to be a cool upgrade to the Street! It looks like they browsed for the biggest gripes about the regular streets (mirrors, ride height, brakes) and then the most common mod (into a cafe cycle), and then made it standard production. Good for them!

Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 PM
08hayabusa
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"On thing about the Street Rod is HD had it from the very beginning and waited until now to release it."

100% incorrect statement. If a 516 lb. bike that puts out 68 hp at the crank works for you I'm sure you have a lot of inventory to pick from.

Campy Roadie (03-25-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:28 PM
08hayabusa
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Reminds me of this:

Kawasaki ZRX 1200 R"

Ouch!! The Slow Rod is not even close. Kawa is 11 sec in the quarter mile, This turd is good for high 13's low 14's in the quarter......

Many seem to forget...the Slow Rod is 99% outsourced and only "ASSEMBLED" in KC. Reverse knockdown....China, India, Pakistan, etc. have their small hands all over the Street platform....

Old 03-23-2017, 05:46 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 08hayabusa
"Reminds me of this:

Kawasaki ZRX 1200 R"

Ouch!! The Slow Rod is not even close. Kawa is 11 sec in the quarter mile, This turd is good for high 13's low 14's in the quarter......

Many seem to forget...the Slow Rod is 99% outsourced and only "ASSEMBLED" in KC. Reverse knockdown....China, India, Pakistan, etc. have their small hands all over the Street platform....
You realize you're comparing a 750cc bike to a 1200cc, right?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Steve: All they did was install a better flowing air box, 12.2:1 piston larger diameter tires and the inverted dual disc forks which they did with the 08 XR1200, 2012 V Rod and the mid year 16 Roadster. Even the name is recycled from a past V Rod model. No new technology just parts bin items.

Many manufacturers have product that they hold for later introduction.

I assure you (even if you don't believe it) that the Streed Rod was conceived and tested along with the first Streets.

They have the flat track model to 90 hp and are shooting for 110 to 120 hp.

Note: The Street is fully assembled in the Kansas plant then knocked down for assembly in India for the Indian market and other Asian markets. The reason for the partial knockdown is it avoids import taxes on finished goods. Some one got it back assward.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-24-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:12 AM
Hayabusasteve
Cruiser

You're actually wrong there. It has a different fuel injection configuration (dual vane) along with most of the intake tract and the muffler. That wasn't just sourced (sourced from where, haha).

revised heads
New camshafts
New throttlebody
New muffler design

You're really minimizing the scope of changes here. Not sure what bikes those "parts bin" parts came off of. Also, saying it's easy to do because the XG750R is a competitive flat tracker is a bit asinine.

http://www.cycleworld.com/harley-dav...st-look#page-5

Read that and tell me there are any production capacity parts on that bike beyond the cases; not sure outside of a 60* v-twin what that engine has in common with anything you can buy from an HD dealer.

I'm sticking with the fact that the street was conceived to help bump domestic sales for a slow selling motorcycle that was designed for SE asian, sub-continental and emerging markets. Why let the entire model family struggle for almost 3 years in your largest demographic when you supposedly have the parts just laying around, waiting haha. You'd think they'd be cashing in on these "available" "parts bin" bolt ons...

Campy Roadie (03-25-2017)

Quick Reply: 17.5 Street Rod