Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

17.5 Street Rod

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:22 AM
commandac
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 2017 Street Rod 750. It is getting delivered to the dealership around April 14th. I was wondering, does anyone have access to a Street Rod, AND a Street?!?
I am wondering if the Street Rod and Street have the same mounting angles for the exhaust. I want to get a Bassani exhaust for the street Rod, but no one (including Bassani) knows if it will bolt right up. They make a slip on for the Street 750 that sounds real nice, just wondering if I order that slip on for the Street 750, if it will fit my Street Rod...

Old 03-31-2017, 12:04 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by commandac
I purchased a 2017 Street Rod 750. It is getting delivered to the dealership around April 14th. I was wondering, does anyone have access to a Street Rod, AND a Street?!?
I am wondering if the Street Rod and Street have the same mounting angles for the exhaust. I want to get a Bassani exhaust for the street Rod, but no one (including Bassani) knows if it will bolt right up. They make a slip on for the Street 750 that sounds real nice, just wondering if I order that slip on for the Street 750, if it will fit my Street Rod...
That's a good question. Maybe you can email or call Lemmy at Revzilla. He test rode and reviewed both the Street and the Street Rod and he seems to be very familiar with both bikes. Give it a shot.

Congrats on the new bike, by the way. Curious to see how you like it so let us know.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM
commandac
5th Gear

I plan to!
Was hoping for a before and after Bassani pipes video.
I am coming from a Ninja 500R.
Love the Ninja's sport riding, light and nimble feel, liquid cooling, High Revs, EFI, and balance. But, all of those together don't add up to the sound of a V-Twin Harley.
I hope this bike becomes the "Jack of all, Master of none" for people like me. Willing to sacrifice not being perfect, for a universal city and highway driver with a great sound. This 750 will be useless and up for sale if I can't make this thing sound better. I am hoping for the Bassani megaphone slip on, but if it does NOT fit, I may have to settle for baffles removal. I heard as long as I don't open up the airbox on the intake, The stock PCM should handle the slight change just fine and not risk any engine life durability. If I change the flow of the intake as well, then I should look at a tuner or Stage 1 download. Correct?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Hayabusasteve
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

This bike will sound great, but not the traditional harley sound. No way around that.

I'm also hoping it's a well rounded bike. A muscle-sport-standard, I dunno what I'm after. I am just excited about having proper tire options on an HD.

Supposedly there are changes to the street rod's exhaust, so no telling if current slip on options will fit or not. I will be 100% honest with you, on my roadster I was in the same sort of mentality; "I just want some noise, not making the jump to a tuner yet"... But damned if my bike doesn't just ride and work better now after tuning with a pc5. Not even about power, just power delivery is substantially better.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM
commandac
5th Gear

I like the breather that comes with the street rod.
For lumpier idle I can lower the fuel and timing using a fuelpak3 (FP3).
But I will probably eventually just get the FP3 and do the auto tune.

Probably won't get much out of it asides from a cooler running engine.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:16 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by commandac
I plan to!
Was hoping for a before and after Bassani pipes video.
I am coming from a Ninja 500R.
Love the Ninja's sport riding, light and nimble feel, liquid cooling, High Revs, EFI, and balance. But, all of those together don't add up to the sound of a V-Twin Harley.
I hope this bike becomes the "Jack of all, Master of none" for people like me. Willing to sacrifice not being perfect, for a universal city and highway driver with a great sound. This 750 will be useless and up for sale if I can't make this thing sound better. I am hoping for the Bassani megaphone slip on, but if it does NOT fit, I may have to settle for baffles removal. I heard as long as I don't open up the airbox on the intake, The stock PCM should handle the slight change just fine and not risk any engine life durability. If I change the flow of the intake as well, then I should look at a tuner or Stage 1 download. Correct?
Correct! I have a Kawasaki Z1000 that I replaced the stock cans with an aftermarket set. I left the air box alone and I didn't need a tuner. Bike runs great. You should be able to do the same with your new Street Rod. If you ever go with a new air intake you'll have to go with some kind of tuner.

Be patient if pipes or slip ons aren't available for the Street Rod yet. Companies will soon come out with something.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Be patient if pipes or slip ons aren't available for the Street Rod yet. Companies will soon come out with something.
If it says Harley Davidson on the gas tank, you can bet SOMEONE will come up with louder mufflers in a hurry! Lol.... that's a given.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
If it says Harley Davidson on the gas tank, you can bet SOMEONE will come up with louder mufflers in a hurry! Lol.... that's a given.
LOL No doubt about that.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
or slap a turbo on it:

View this post on Instagram