Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Parts help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parts help

Trying to convince the girlfriend to get a Street Rod over a ninja or other sport bike.

She's tall, she can't get comfortable with mid controls, are there forwards/further forwards for the Street line? Or can they be moved back like a sport bike?

How many companies are offering full exhaust systems?

How about different solo seats? I have a Mustang on my Sporty, and Danny Grey on my Breakout, seat options would be nice.

Thanks guys

Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As a female ride, I feel obliged to say that the Harley street (even the Rod) is not the same as any sport bike. It's not, it's a Harley. If she wants a crotchrocket, the alterations required to make the Street into one would essentially be rebuilding the entire thing, which is a waste to a perfectly acceptable bike.

The Harley Street is a comfort to ride. I can only assume the brand new Rod is the same, with the added bonus of having more torque, more ride height, and better brakes. It's a HD, and has all the heritage which comes with it. If going on longer rides is what you and your girl want to do, a sport bike would not be a good fit since you're having to lean forward the entire time you're riding. Quick jaunts? Now, that's debatable.

The Street however, unfortunately, is still a fairly new bike. There is not a lot of after market parts for it. If the Rod is mostly the same, than you'll have a couple slip on exhaust replacements (I have a TAB myself), as well as a mustang seat. I know a lot of people swapped to a Cafe style, making it a solo seat, but I don't know many off the top of my head.

I have heard of a couple people moving the controls on the Street forward, but I have not done so myself, as it fits me fine the way it is. I'd recommend, if you get the street, to swap the seat first since I think the Mustang solo moves the rider back a bit.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:52 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! Yeah that's my main worry, we'll ride 6-8 hours regularly, I don't see a sport bike being comfortable for that long.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm 6'3" and rode the Street 750 for about 5K so far. In 15 I rode it 861 miles in a little over 13 hours to Sturgis. No problem with the mid controls. However it had the big boy seat which put me up 2" and back 2".

The new Street Rod is higher off of the ground because of larger diameter wheels. The seat is also thinner than the stock Street seat. So mids could be more of an issue. I'm not sure if the optional Street seat would fit the Street Rod. From the pictures it looks like the rear cowling is different and the stock seat resembles the V Rod seat.

The more upright cruiser position of the rider would be more comfortable on long rides.