HDForums Mascot Find out how to be part of the mascot's travels here.

How the Mascot got from Billings to Effingham via Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:35 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How the Mascot got from Billings to Effingham via Tucson

Pursuant to the rules of Mascot transport, here's the story.
&nbsp\\;
We left Billings, MT at a little after 1 PM on Friday, June 20. First night out was spent in the KOA at West Yellowstone. Here's a scenic shot along the Gallatin River outside of Big Sky: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...n/other2-2.jpg
Weather was great, but it was 32* when I got up the next morning. You meet some interesting people, and at breakfast, cooked by Ruby at the KOA, I learned the best way to trap raccoons and how to trap woodpeckers. Useful **** around these parts.
&nbsp\\;
Night 2 was at Utah Lake State Park in Orem, UT: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...n/other3-3.jpg
&nbsp\\;
Night 3 was spent in a KOA in Flagstaff, AZ after one of the best rides of my life. Took 89 south out of Cole Fort, UT and then jumped onto 89A which is the alternate route that crosses the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry instead of at Page. It starts at about 7k ft and winds and twists through the pine forests until it suddenly opens up into the desert where the Grand Canyon starts. Absolutely breathtaking. Can't find the pic right now, but I'll keep looking.
The ride out of Flagstaff to Tucson was highlighted by a side trip to Sedona &amp\\; Cottonwood, AZ. My wife has some of her paintings in a gallery in Cottonwood (mini spam). Another observation is that the Prescott National Forest has no trees.
&nbsp\\;
Night 4 was Tucson, where, at 107* there is no shade and no camping.
For those of you who don't know the story, I traded 02 my Low Rider for an 03 Road King Custom.
&nbsp\\;
Here's the Dyna on its last day in Sedona:
&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
Night 6 was spent just east of Oklahoma City. Camped at a KOA. Some observations: blackbirds in the trees above you will chatter like monkeys until about 2 AM. They are not bothered by the fireworks set off at the fireworks stand a 1/4 mile away, again, at 2 AM. The food in OK sucks - you do not put a large scoop of Crisco on a baked potato and a side of fresh vegetables should not be canned and cooked with bacon. You may notice that there aren't any pix - there's not a whole lot that I saw that would be interesting.
&nbsp\\;
Night 7 took me to just east of St. Louis. The KOA in Stanton had a little kitchen and they can cook pork!
&nbsp\\;
Night 7 &amp\\; Effingham - the rest is history.
&nbsp\\;
All in all, everybody I met on the way there and home was exceptionally nice. Can't wait to do it again.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Night 5 - Albuquerque, NM. No camping that I saw and the only likely places to camp were on fire. Got in late &amp\\; left early.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Default RE: How the Mascot got from Billings to Effingham via Tucson

Wow! I was gonna say it's about time you posted, but given the ground covered, I figure it was worth the wait. It was! Good going! So, you like that Road Sofa, er....Rocket! better than the Dyna? I shouldn't talk...I'm on a Sportster! Glutton for punishment aren't I? It's a daily rider though.
Teek

Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: How the Mascot got from Billings to Effingham via Tucson

The sofa is a great road bike. The Dyna was a pretty good one. I've always wanted a Road King. Now I have one. It's going up for sale as soon as the title arrives from the state -&nbsp\\;the FXDL was the best of both worlds and I'll be getting another one.