Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help! Bike stranded me and I think it is the ignition switch

Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM
ChrisV
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Bike stranded me and I think it is the ignition switch

Hey HD forum - I own a 1998 road king and I have noticed in the past several times when I turn the ignition switch on the head lights, dash back lights and mileage reading comes on but the bike will not start. The times this has happened I second guess myself if I accidentally flipped it over to acc vice start so I just cycle it and it usually starts right up. When this happens the dash lights i.e. the oil lamp, noting on the dash lights up except the back light and of course the other items mentioned above. Today It did it when I went to start the bike to go get gas. Not thinking about it, I turned the bike off at the gas station and once I finished it pulled the same crap...except this time I cycled it several times and it did not help. I ended up tapping around the ignition switch and wallah the damn oil indicator lite up; I started the bike and drove home. I'm pretty sure this is a clear indication of a bad ignition switch or a short....but if anyone thinks I'm off course, please let me know. I sure do appreciate you listening to me...Thanks, Chris

Last edited by ChrisV; 09-24-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM
kcflhri
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar issue with my 2000 RK. Just pulled the switch apart and found corrosion, after cleaning with wire brush all good.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 PM
ChrisV
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I was suspecting something like that. I plan to take the dash off in the morning and pull the ignition switch to see if there is an issue causing the short. I will post once I have it checked. Take care.