Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander Problems...Not to HAPPY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Commander Problems...Not to HAPPY!!!

I bought the xieds a few years ago. The bike ran ok with them for the most part. Fuel economy was not great but I never ever had a check engine light.

So a year or so ago I bought a Power Commander. I was a little nervous about putting it on the bike because im not up on all the computer stuff.
The other day I called Power Commander and got a map that the guy said would work well on my 09 S/G. So today I plug it all in. I install the o2 delete plugs. As soon as I fire up the bike the check engine light is on. Now I will say I took it for a ride and it ran really good. Had more power to me and even sounded a little different.

So I ran the diagnosing gizmo. It says PS0118 something like that. I call power Commander back and the guy says its a code for over heating. He says that the code must have been in the bike for a long time. Then he says reset the code. Unplugg the commander. I unplug everything. I start it up the light comes back on in ten seconds. I am beyond PISSED!!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Old 09-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I will check that plug but I would think that would be a coincedense...Thanks

Old 09-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I ran a power commander on my softail for 8 years without a problem and have one on my Road Glide as well. Never had an issue so I wouldn't sweat it. You said the bike runs great. Hey aren't you supposed to be asleep by now?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

Im going to Biketoberfest in a couple weeks. the guy says oh just send the computer back we will check it out....um yes that sounds like a long process...

Old 09-27-2014, 07:04 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you clear it and start the bike without the PC hooked up? Or is the code only present with the PC hooked up? Did you remove the XIED's?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:23 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

I did have a Power Commander 5 go bad, guy I got it from replaced it for me. On my new bike I have one too. Each bike is somewhat different that's why I always dyno tune that's why you are getting the max out of your tunner and its right. You say your go to OCT fest. These people will be there Cycle Solutions they are good at what they do.
www.cyclesolutionsonline.com check the site out

Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

Yes I removed the Xieds before I did anything. I kept coming up with the code 0118 and that is the temp. sender in the front cylinder. I replaced it last night. I reset the code. I started the bike and the code comes back on in a couple seconds. Do I need to ride this for it to be completely removed?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

The check engine light comes and goes off without the Tuner. If I plug in the tuner its on all the time. If I clear out the code. as soon as I start the bike the light is back on.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:27 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans03RKC
The check engine light comes and goes off without the Tuner. If I plug in the tuner its on all the time. If I clear out the code. as soon as I start the bike the light is back on.

If the light comes on and goes off with the tuner removed its because the code is historic. When it remains on constantly the code is current. This tells me that the problem is your power commander.

Quick Reply: Power Commander Problems...Not to HAPPY!!!