Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

School me on Dyno Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 02:26 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default School me on Dyno Tuning

Okay so Im looking for a local indy that will dyno tune my 06 Softail with 97 big bore, 583 cams, Bassani RR, and FM stage 1 AC. I have a DynoJet Powervision with a base map that runs okay.

One of the guys locally says tunes with TTS Mastertune, and another guy uses Power Commander. Do they need my Powervision ECM tuner? If they tune with those and upload to my ECM, would I even need an ECM tuner?

Im confused.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
Okay so Im looking for a local indy that will dyno tune my 06 Softail with 97 big bore, 583 cams, Bassani RR, and FM stage 1 AC. I have a DynoJet Powervision with a base map that runs okay.

One of the guys locally says tunes with TTS Mastertune, and another guy uses Power Commander. Do they need my Powervision ECM tuner? If they tune with those and upload to my ECM, would I even need an ECM tuner?

Im confused.

The TTS marries to your bike just like your power vision did. In other words once you use it on a bike it is worthless to anybody else, it CANNOT be used on another bike. So if you want to go with the guy that uses TTS you would have to purchase the TTS. The Power Commander is an add on tuner, you unplug your ECM, plug the power commander into the ECM and plug the stock ECM harness into the power commander. So you would have to purchase the power commander. It remains on your bike. (referred to *** a "piggyback" tuner). My advice would be to find a tuner that knows the Power Vision and have him tune what you already have since it's married to your bike.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:44 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

Man I have to find a shop that tunes via Power Vision? Its tough enough to find a tuner here in San Diego, let alone one that is specific to DynoJet PV. I guess I'll go for Autotune.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:55 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I always recommend people decide on a person to tune their bike before picking a tuner. The best tuning products in the world are only as good as the person that tunes them. How far are you willing to travel to get a tune? There are some good tuners in cali but you might have to travel a little.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:29 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

I'll ride anywhere within 100 miles of San Diego. I'll start looking around within that range.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I have to find a shop that tunes via Power Vision? Its tough enough to find a tuner here in San Diego, let alone one that is specific to DynoJet PV. I guess I'll go for Autotune.
Yeah, the power vision IS your tuner. The dyno is just an output device that measures what your motor is doing. It doesn't tune anything.

But your mods aren't that radical....the PV is a pretty good product from all the reviews I've seen; I wouldn't be so sure that its autotune feature wouldn't make your bike run just fine without having to shell out hundreds of $$ for someone to make it just slightly better...or not.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:11 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Yeah, the power vision IS your tuner. The dyno is just an output device that measures what your motor is doing. It doesn't tune anything.

But your mods aren't that radical....the PV is a pretty good product from all the reviews I've seen; I wouldn't be so sure that its autotune feature wouldn't make your bike run just fine without having to shell out hundreds of $$ for someone to make it just slightly better...or not.
I'll agree with this. Autotune cost hundreds as well and requires alot of work, so it might not always be a cost effective way for some people to avoid a dyno tune.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

You got that right and good luck finding a tuner who will touch some of these late model bikes.
I'm not saying that they're not out there but with CA environmental laws it's getting tougher to find them.

Last edited by JustDave13; 10-02-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:43 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Call Bennett's Performance in Signal Hill and talk to them. See what they say. Eric is a straight shooter.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:56 PM
ImIT
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can check out Biker Shack in Alpine, i know they tune with Dynojet products, not sure about power vision.

Quick Reply: School me on Dyno Tuning