Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How can I remove a TTS tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:19 PM
gmeikle
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve Cole helped me and a friend out no end here in Australia.

Slightly different but same end up problem.

TTS give GREAT service and kudos to them for doing so

If your Supertuner goes west then you're "FORKED" as there's nowhere to turn to short of your HD dealer and good luck with that !

Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gmeikle
Steve Cole helped me and a friend out no end here in Australia.

Slightly different but same end up problem.

TTS give GREAT service and kudos to them for doing so

If your Supertuner goes west then you're "FORKED" as there's nowhere to turn to short of your HD dealer and good luck with that !
Super Tuner doesn't lock your ECM. If a Super Tuner goes "West" you can simply get another one or get any other brand tuner you desire. TTS Locks the ECM so no other tuner can access it, if you lose your TTS or, as in this case, you buy a bike that previously had a TTS married to it it have to either buy a TTS to gain access to it or send your ECM to Steve and see if he will unlock it then buy another Tuner of your choice. Either way the end result is the same, you're buying another tuner.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 AM
gmeikle
Cruiser

Yes , the TTS "locks" your ECM , I was aware of that

Friend of mine had tuned his Streetglide ECM with a TTS back in 2011 ( by me !)

The laptop used to save his "stock. MTE " took a terminal dump in 2012

3 years later he has an indy shop fit up a 120r motor , and an SEPST came in the kit

Without asking the owner ( or me !) the indy shop tried to flash the ECM with the new SEPST from the kit. Of course that was a " NO-GO" , but it still married the new SEPST to the ECM even tho' it wouldn't reflash it. So DOUBLE FORKED we were.

Thanks to some good folks elsewhere on this forum I was emailed a good TTS cal for a 120R in a 2011 Streetglide ( thanks agin again Rheiner mate !) and got the bike running very well !

I also had real good advice from " Wurk Truk " at the same time ( thanks agin again also !)

Steve Cole at TTS then " remade " me an "Stock.MTE" and emailed that to me , so that I could then use either TTS OR the now married Supertuner on the bike.

That service could only have come from TTS , and we were well grateful.

The guy now has 2 tuners married to the bike , but **** happens haha..

At least here in Australia , "help" for the SEPST would be limited to your franchised Harley dealer , and more often than not I know way more than them FFsake !

Anyhoo , that's all history and all's well that ends well as they say !!

Last edited by gmeikle; 10-14-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

3 years later he has an indy shop fit up a 120r motor , and an SEPST came in the kit

Without asking the owner ( or me !) the indy shop tried to flash the ECM with the new SEPST from the kit. Of course that was a " NO-GO" , but it still married the new SEPST to the ECM even tho' it wouldn't reflash it. So DOUBLE FORKED we were.

Thanks to some good folks elsewhere on this forum I was emailed a good TTS cal for a 120R in a 2011 Streetglide ( thanks agin again Rheiner mate !) and got the bike running very well !

I also had real good advice from " Wurk Truk " at the same time ( thanks agin again also !)

Steve Cole at TTS then " remade " me an "Stock.MTE" and emailed that to me , so that I could then use either TTS OR the now married Supertuner on the bike.

At least here in Australia , "help" for the SEPST would be limited to your franchised Harley dealer , and more often than not I know way more than them FFsake !

That's a bit of bad luck right there. All the TTS's I tune I triple save the stock MTE for that very reason. It's nice that good people like Steve and John (Wurk Truk)were there to help you. I helped John quit a bit when he got his dyno, unfortunately he passed away about 2 months ago, I ended up buying his dyno and opening up a shop in Virginia.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:32 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

to your initial point; regardless of the tuning device, you are most likely to find better help on forums than you will from dealers and manufacturers. SE support sucks that's all there is to it and calling MOCO for help with tuning is simply a waste of time.
Call DynoJet and try to get support out of them for PowerVision or PowerCommander with something to do with tuning. Not talking about the device failing, talking about tuning. They send you a map that's no where near being close to what you need and tell you to get it dyno-d. The premise behind especially these 2 is they want you to get with the selling dealer for support and we all know SE support through dealers is also a waste of time. Hell most of their own tuners don't even know how to properly use the device. Is it merely a coincidence that a lot of HD dealers are having their dyno people trained to use the TTS device? I find that ironic myself, don't you?

TTS is much better because at least in addition to forums you can actually get Steve or one of his counterparts on the phone for a more in-depth issue.

With FM, I think the whole "we'll send you a good map with your purchase" thing is a little ridiculous because there is no good map that someone else did that is right for your bike but at least you get someone on the phone that knows what they're talking about and can assist you.

Thundermax, although sometimes difficult to get in touch with, they are very good at assisting as well.

I use TTS and I like it. Do I think it's the best tuning device out there? For me it is mainly because I have gotten past the steep learning curve and I enjoy tinkering; for someone else it may not be. All depends on what you're trying to accomplish. As for the locking part of it, I don't 100% agree with that mentality of Steve's but I completely understand the fact that some guy just spent $400 - $500 on a tune, has problems with the bike, brings it to a dealer to have it looked at, they reset the ECM wiping out that $400 - $500 tune, the owner didn't bother to educate himself enough prior to tuning to get the tune file from the person who dyno-d the bike and now he's SOL because the tuner didn't keep it either or simply won't give it up (yes there are people like that around), calls TTS raising hell to which they cannot help him without sending the ECM to TTS, then gets on public forums like this and trash talks a device for no good reason other than his own stupidity. And then when something like the "locking" gets implemented to save everyone these headaches then they trash talk it because the ECM is locked. As for the stock MTE calibration; Steve has for years provided a repository for you as the owner to upload your stock MTE file so it doesn't get lost. But then again you also have to be smart enough to back your crap up to external drives so in situations like the failed laptop, you're not hosed. Bottom line is they (flash tuners) are all good tuning devices and they will all deliver pretty much the same end-result IN THE RIGHT HANDS. And it's the OWNER'S responsibility to know what to do in these situations, not HD, not TTS, not DJ, not TM; THE OWNER.

Funny how this turned from a "hey help me with my locked ECM" thread to yet another "which tuner is best" thread. They're all the best and a far cry better than what we had when FI first came out on these bikes.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-14-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:38 AM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
That's a bit of bad luck right there. All the TTS's I tune I triple save the stock MTE for that very reason. It's nice that good people like Steve and John (Wurk Truk)were there to help you. I helped John quit a bit when he got his dyno, unfortunately he passed away about 2 months ago, I ended up buying his dyno and opening up a shop in Virginia.

Where is your shop located?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by VB2KDH
Where is your shop located?
he's in Fredericksburg, VA.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 PM
gmeikle
Cruiser

To ultranutz

Yes , saving the stock.MTE to multiple locations , we have since done that , and lesson learned I have saved the stock.MTE for my own 2008 CVO Springer EVERY*UCKINGWHERE !!

I'm not myself a "fan" of the ECM locking , but it is what it is and we work within those parameters.

I still think TTS " is the bomb !! " ( from Breaking Bad , and I think that means viewed in a very positive light haha...)

I try to get all my riding crew to use TTS but these last coupla years the local HD dealers here in Perth WA have been very good at "upselling" the factory reccomended SEPST supertuners , so I've had to become familiar with all that way of doing things.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:44 PM
Jose Paulo Campana
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove TTS and unmarried it to be used in new bike

Guys, I have purchased a Harley Davidson Ultra Glide 2014 and after get the bike I discovery that it was married with a TTS on past.....
I have a basic idea about remap and I'm longer to be considered as expert user of tuning. I already gat others Harleys but never tuned one, this way, sorry for stupid questions Ok

First question:
How to remove it from my bike. I wanna to remove because I can't swap pipes or even filters without spent additional money to remap it again each change.

Second question:
Is possible cleanup the TTS to sell it to be used in other bike? I have a DUAL model and sincerely speaking I wanna to run out of it, as in my region we have no BIG SHOT guy to support.

3rd question:
How can I made contact the official dealer to get support on Brazil or even in to EUA?

Jose Campana
+55 43 99901-8611
Brazil / Paraná State

Old 12-15-2020, 12:42 AM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

1) you can remove if you have the original calibration file and the programming box, but why?

2) NO

3) no representative in brazil AFAIK but check their website for support info.