Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Denim883
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tuning

I have a 2010 CVO Fat Bob and would like to optimize performance. Just plan to get the best header and a tune. I see all these add on tuners but wonder why tuning cant be done like cars and just reconfigure the OE controller. Is this something that can be done?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

In order to reconfigure the original EFI and other settings in the ECM, you need an interface device between your bike and your computer. That's "the tuner".

Then, you need to learn how to use your particular tuner and its accompanying software, if any.

Start reading the threads in this forum, and you'll learn more than you can handle.

If you don't want to do that, then you can buy a "piggyback tuner" that works in conjunction with the factory ECM, and "overrides" the stock settings. Some folks like that, some don't.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Denim883
I have a 2010 CVO Fat Bob and would like to optimize performance. Just plan to get the best header and a tune. I see all these add on tuners but wonder why tuning cant be done like cars and just reconfigure the OE controller. Is this something that can be done?

Thanks

There are two types of tuners, those that you physically put on your bikes (Power Commander, XIED's etc) and those that re-program the ECM (SEPST, TTS Mastertune, Power Vision etc.). The ones that re-program the ECM basically just communicate between a computer adn teh ECM on the bike then are disconnected.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about why we can't just re-configure the OE controller, but that is pretty much what we are doing, the tuner on my Tahoe pretty much works like the flash based tuners we use on the bikes.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Thanks

It can be done. That is what something like the Power Vision does by flashing a new "configuration" to the OE controller. Click HERE to read more about it.

Here is a good thread with an overview of the most popular ways to alter the tune on a Harley EFI bike-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 AM
Denim883
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleytuner
There are two types of tuners, those that you physically put on your bikes (Power Commander, XIED's etc) and those that re-program the ECM (SEPST, TTS Mastertune, Power Vision etc.). The ones that re-program the ECM basically just communicate between a computer adn teh ECM on the bike then are disconnected.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about why we can't just re-configure the OE controller, but that is pretty much what we are doing, the tuner on my Tahoe pretty much works like the flash based tuners we use on the bikes.

That's the answer I was looking for. I can send my 96 Vette ECM to a mail order tuner with all the specs and he can change the calibration, etc to optimize performance for the mods I have done.
Ideally I would like to find a shop with a dyno that can tune the factory Harley ecm without adding a piggyback controller.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 06:32 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

That's the answer I was looking for. I can send my 96 Vette ECM to a mail order tuner with all the specs and he can change the calibration, etc to optimize performance for the mods I have done.
Ideally I would like to find a shop with a dyno that can tune the factory Harley ecm without adding a piggyback controller.

Thanks
What part of Texas are you in? And far far are you willing to travel? I know a couple VERY good tuners in Texas, my first choice would be Steve at GMR performance in Kileen Tx.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Denim883
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harleytuner
What part of Texas are you in? And far far are you willing to travel? I know a couple VERY good tuners in Texas, my first choice would be Steve at GMR performance in Kileen Tx.

That's right down the road from me. I will try to ride down this week and talk to him.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Awesome. You won't be disappointed. He knows his stuff

Old 10-22-2014, 08:55 AM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Just note that a dyno doesn't tune anything. It's just an output device that provides information to be used when tuning. You still need something that can adjust the map in your ECM, such as a TTS, power vision, etc. Usually the guy doing the tuning at the shop is going to recommend you buy whatever he likes to use.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jmr1971
Just note that a dyno doesn't tune anything. It's just an output device that provides information to be used when tuning. You still need something that can adjust the map in your ECM, such as a TTS, power vision, etc. Usually the guy doing the tuning at the shop is going to recommend you buy whatever he likes to use.
Many reputable tuners can tune without you buying a specific device. DirectLink comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Tuning