Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No power, but good battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:14 PM
TheGerman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power, but good battery

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Harley Sportster XL1200c and I recently encountered problems with no power in the ignition mode.

I couldnt get it started in the morning as just no lights were going on when i turned the ignition key. I had some light for the mileage display in the Acc position, but as soon as I went to Ignition, it all went off. The next day I checked the battery, cleaned the contacts (although they were pretty clean) and applied some di-electric grease. Thought I fixed it, as the bike did start as usual. I had it 3 times on and off that day before I went on a trip to the coast. Everything was fine until I stopped to get a scarf and after that, the same problem was there. Initially, I even had the oil lamp and the lights going on but as soon as I hit the starter, it just made a small click and everything went off. A fellow rider helped me to jumpstart the bike with success. But there were major electrical issues. I had no lights, the mileage was flickering, speedometer didnt work and I had only backfires. Unfortunately, my pipes turned from silver to blue because of the immense heat. I expected the battery to be dead but today I had tested it and the Voltage was at 12.5. We charged it for a short time and it went up to 13.4, so its no broken or so. I have no idea what could be the problem. I hope I can get her to start somehow to get to a mechanic but if not, I need to figure something out. So any ideas would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Alex

Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

If it were me, I would install a new battery and clean cables on all ends. Go from there.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

just because voltage checks good on battery doesn't mean it's good. It needs to be load tested to verify it's condition.

if it load tests fine then I would start looking at battery cables, corrosion on relays and fuses, and wiring at the ignition switch.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:40 AM
TheGerman
Intermediate

First of all, thanks for all the replies. I went along all the cables recently and it didnīt take long until i found the ground cable, going from the battery to the frame, like this. Although I pretty sure I will replace this one, it seems like only the isolation is affected and I somehow doubt that this is the cause of all the problems.

I also did something very stupid. While re-installing the battery, I dropped one of the bronze spacer that is between the battery and the cable. And just when you think it cant get any worse, there is help on its way as this little sucker dropped but never reached the ground. So it must be stuck somewhere in the bike but even after hours of searching, I couldnt find anything. Long story short, anyone has an idea where to buy these? Went to home depot and our local hardwarestore, but they dont have them.

Many Thanks,
Alex

Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Hmmm? I'm not familiar with the Sportster setup. But that seems strange to have bronze in the conductive path...assuming I understand your description.

So, first question...do you really need it?
If ya do, try your friendly HD dealer. If it is an original part, they should have it. Also, they'll be able to verify in their parts book if it really is an original part.

Post edit: crap...I forgot the second question...oh well.

FWIW...I am in the camp that for every year of age of a battery, if in question, the closer I get to just replacing it. The failure is too I convenient, and I'd rather spend the money earlier than later.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I would think any reputable auto parts store would be able to take care of you with the spacer.

as for the cable, if it's split open like that there's a good chance corrosion is present somewhere within the cable. I'd replace it.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:07 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You could probably find that spacer at a hardware store for pennies on the dollar

Old 10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

not sure what that spacer is for. Looking at service manuals and parts manuals for 2004 through 2007 883 and 1200, none of them show a spacer used at the battery.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:50 PM
TheGerman
Intermediate

Hm, that is weird. I had one of those on each contact at the battery in between the cable connection and the thread at the battery. Although the bike is from 2005, most of the parts were still the original ones (including tires), so I assumed the battery hasnīt been changed either. Guess I will drop by at the dealership and ask. Too bad I cant bring in the bike.

Thanks
Alex

Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

even the international models don't show a spacer. Who knows.. lol

Quick Reply: No power, but good battery