Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Over heating engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Sangam13
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating engine Oil

Dear brothers,

Good morning from Mumbai :-)

I have a FLSTC 2013 (Heritage Classic) done about 15000 Kms. I have put a stage 1 Airfilter and SE Super Tuner and RUSH Slip-ons. Since the SE Tuner does not support RUSH Slip-Ons the bike was popping and the oil was over heating. The HD dealer tried all types of adjustments on the Tuner - but no improvements.
I called the RUSH technical Help center in USA to seek help and they mentioned that the bike was running lean. I got the AFR adjusted - but no improvement. I called RUSH again and they said to put back the stock Airfilter and put the stock maps back and Flash the ECM. I did that - still the Oil and engine was running extremely HOT and the Oil would start coming out of the Oil tank lid (even when I drove 5 kms). Oil temp woud go upto 350 Deg. ???? On the Oil guage

Can any of the more experienced guide me what is going wrong ? Why does the Oil become so hot that it starts coming out of the Oil tank from the lid. I am really nervous and the HD Dealer also cannot understand what is going on.

What should be done NEXT ?
HD Dealer s planning to flush the entire Oil line and change the Oil - is this the solution ?

Really need help on this subject .............

Old 10-30-2014, 10:21 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

It's very difficult to troubleshoot over the internet...BUT, the oil getting that hot, that quickly, Gotta say I don't think it has anything to do with the pipes or a normal lean condition. Sounds like something else is going on for sure.

The oil is hitting 350* after only 5 km riding? Not sure how that is even possible.

The oil flush and change may not fix it, but is definitely needed.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Is the oil light coming on sometimes? Is your bike showing any codes? Are the oil lines to the tank unrestricted? Are you using Dyno oil or synthetic oil? Are you using the correct oil filter? Was the AFR adjusted correctly? `Sounds like the dealer doesn`t know what it`s doing if it can`t find out WHY your engine is running that hot. Find another dealer.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Sangam13
...What should be done NEXT ?
HD Dealer s planning to flush the entire Oil line and change the Oil - is this the solution ?

Really need help on this subject .............
First, I'd make sure the oil temp gauge is reading accurately...they are notorious for being inaccurate.

Then I'd find another shop to tune. Simply adjusting the AFR has little affect on engine/oil temps. Without setting the VE's and timing tables, adjustments to the AFR are generally a waste of time.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree with PT on ALL points.

oil temp gauge? what oil temp gauge? these bikes don't come stock with an oil temp gauge. If you're talking about that digital thing you stick in your oil tank filler neck, get rid of it. it's garbage and never even close to being accurate. no way the oil is getting that hot in such a short period.

as for the AFR adjustments, they're meaningless as PT pointed out without adjusting other areas of the maps.

the oil coming out of the tank: that could simply be too much oil in the bike, a clogged line, sumping, etc. Try taking some of the oil out, like maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Dear brothers,

Good morning from Mumbai :-)

I have a FLSTC 2013 (Heritage Classic) done about 15000 Kms. I have put a stage 1 Airfilter and SE Super Tuner and RUSH Slip-ons. Since the SE Tuner does not support RUSH Slip-Ons the bike was popping and the oil was over heating. The HD dealer tried all types of adjustments on the Tuner - but no improvements.
I called the RUSH technical Help center in USA to seek help and they mentioned that the bike was running lean. I got the AFR adjusted - but no improvement. I called RUSH again and they said to put back the stock Airfilter and put the stock maps back and Flash the ECM. I did that - still the Oil and engine was running extremely HOT and the Oil would start coming out of the Oil tank lid (even when I drove 5 kms). Oil temp woud go upto 350 Deg. ???? On the Oil guage
Agreed with PT and UN, Tune is not the issue. Agree also to have the oil temp gauge tested...

He already put the tune back to stock, and stock A/C on, and it is getting hot, possibly 350* in 5 km, and oil is blowing out the cap.

Maybe it is 5 km of stop n go traffic?

Need more info.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:10 AM
Sangam13
6th Gear

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the replies.
I will reply on some of the questions:
1. The oil and filter were changed recently (about 700 kms used after Oil and filter change).
2. The Oil Temp guage is analogue (the one with a needle).
3. The bike has stock maps, Air Filter and Stock Slip-ons right now.
4. No fault codes at all.
5. Oil light does not come on ever.
6. Oil level is perfect

Still the bike's engine and engine oil is getting very hot and the performance has also dropped dramatically. It seems the bike is dragging and the power has reduced by 30-40%.

Any suggestions, advise are very welcome. The dealer is unable to find the fault.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the replies.
I will reply on some of the questions:
1. The oil and filter were changed recently (about 700 kms used after Oil and filter change).
2. The Oil Temp guage is analogue (the one with a needle).
3. The bike has stock maps, Air Filter and Stock Slip-ons right now.
4. No fault codes at all.
5. Oil light does not come on ever.
6. Oil level is perfect

Still the bike's engine and engine oil is getting very hot and the performance has also dropped dramatically. It seems the bike is dragging and the power has reduced by 30-40%.

Any suggestions, advise are very welcome. The dealer is unable to find the fault.
If this bike is still in warranty, I would park it at the dealer until they find the issue (s). Any abnormal sounds coming from motor?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Sangam13
6th Gear

Bike is still under warranty.
No abnormal sound also.
Dealer just called and said that they have noticed oil in the Air Filter and have cleaned and will put it back on the bike and test it.

Are the Piston Rings gone ??

Old 10-31-2014, 09:43 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Bike is still under warranty.
No abnormal sound also.
Dealer just called and said that they have noticed oil in the Air Filter and have cleaned and will put it back on the bike and test it.

Are the Piston Rings gone ??
If the rings were gone I would think you'd be losing oil as well as noticing it smoking. I would be looking for blockage somewhere along the oil path based on your descriptions. Do you have an oil cooler and if yes, is it a stock oil cooler?

Quick Reply: Over heating engine Oil