Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Spark plug wire reistance

Old 11-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spark plug wire reistance

*Title should say resistance not reistance

So yesterday my check engine light started coming on while at high RPM's on the highway. Got home and checked for codes. I am getting a P1353 code which I believe is no combustion in the front cylinder. First thing I did is pull the plugs and wires. Plugs look fine, but when I checked the resistance in the wires with the multimeter set on 20K I am getting readings of 0.285 on the short wire and 0.900 on the long wire.....which are both super low.

I am confused because, although these readings are out of spec, I always assumed that increased resistance would cause problems so I was expecting the readings to be high.

Could the wires be my problem? Should I go ahead and replace them even though they aren't producing excess resistance?

I guess I should also verify the gaps on the plugs themselves since I only visually inspected them.

Thanks for any responses....I'm just trying the simple stuff to try to avoid taking the bike to the shop. I just bought this bike used so I'm kinda bummed that I'm getting codes already.

GS

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-03-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:05 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

What year and model? If the leads are a few years old I would just change them anyway and the plugs too, even if they look ok. For a small cost at least you can rule them out. If that's not it check coils its all part of the ion sensing in the ignition system. I had no combustion codes for both cylinders. Mine had a different cause but I won't bore you with the details. But all the research I did says lack of ion sensing can cause those codes, so I'd start there if I was you. Good luck!!
PS stick with stock plugs and wires

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM
SSteve
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the original spark plug wires on my 2008 FLHTCU when I bought it used in January 2014. I replaced them because I found both had rub marks and what appeared to be ground marks too. I purchased an after market set from the local independent repair shop and they worked great. Just for my personal information on what others did, I learned that stock Harley spark plug wires have a very high resistance (higher than aftermarket) to them so the computer is able to "listen" to the wire performance. Without the high resistance the cable can't "talk" to the computer. I'm sure my aftermarket cables were communicating just fine with the computer when I found another rub spot on the aftermarket ones. So, just to be safe I replaced them again, this time with stock Harley wires. I found no difference in performance or anything else between the stock and aftermarket wires. The price difference as I recall was about $3.00 more for the stock wires from Harley, that's what I have on the bike now. I was happy with both the stock and aftermarket. Does the computer need the extra resistance to talk to the computer? According to Harley dealers I checked with, it does. I went with the stock wires from Harley to be safe, not sure I needed to but, it's one little thing I'm not worrying about.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:41 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatscott
*Title should say resistance not reistance

So yesterday my check engine light started coming on while at high RPM's on the highway. Got home and checked for codes. I am getting a P1353 code which I believe is no combustion in the front cylinder. First thing I did is pull the plugs and wires. Plugs look fine, but when I checked the resistance in the wires with the multimeter set on 20K I am getting readings of 0.285 on the short wire and 0.900 on the long wire.....which are both super low.

I am confused because, although these readings are out of spec, I always assumed that increased resistance would cause problems so I was expecting the readings to be high.

Could the wires be my problem? Should I go ahead and replace them even though they aren't producing excess resistance?

I guess I should also verify the gaps on the plugs themselves since I only visually inspected them.

Thanks for any responses....I'm just trying the simple stuff to try to avoid taking the bike to the shop. I just bought this bike used so I'm kinda bummed that I'm getting codes already.

GS
I agree with Oz Nightrain. Cheap maintenance item if nothing else.

if your bike is an 09 or up then
front cable should be 34.75" long and specs are 8688 - 23,178 ohms
rear cable should be 16.75" long and specs are 4188 - 11,172 ohms
again, put your meter in the correct position to measure.

spark plug gap should be between .038 and .043. I've always gapped at .040 and never had an issue.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys....I went ahead and changed out the plugs and wires after clearing the codes. Took the bike out for a short spin letting the revs get up nice and high. No check engine light yet. Hopefully this solved my problem. I will know for sure in a few days........Oh and my bike is a 2006 Fat Boy fuel injected.

Thanks Again....GS

Old 11-08-2014, 10:04 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So what did the new wires Ohm?