Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need tuning advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 PM
bryanw1968
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need tuning advice.....

I have an '12 FXDC. I have drilled out the baffles and am also going to install a K&N filter. Question is what's the best way to compensate for fuel and or timing after I've modded the air flow? I've looked at Vance and Hines fuel pak, buying a tuner and doing it myself and letting the dealer tune/dyno it. Just don't want to end up buying the wrong thing and/or end up spending $1000 on 8hp.

Thanks!
B

Old 11-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanw1968
I have an '12 FXDC. I have drilled out the baffles and am also going to install a K&N filter. Question is what's the best way to compensate for fuel and or timing after I've modded the air flow? I've looked at Vance and Hines fuel pak, buying a tuner and doing it myself and letting the dealer tune/dyno it. Just don't want to end up buying the wrong thing and/or end up spending $1000 on 8hp.

Thanks!
B
Don't do anything until you have a fairly decent understanding of the HD EFI system. If you don't, you are FAR more likely to be taken advantage of and end up spending time and money needlessly.

After that, give serious consideration to a full-featured tuning program and either learn to use it or find someone that is well versed in its use.

Until you gain some knowledge, you're not going to properly evaluate the advice some not-so-reputable people are going to give you.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:26 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

What we recommend is the Power Vision. You can completely tune the bike without ever having to even plug it into a computer.

It shows you lots of information and can see the real time data as you ride.

You can read much more on it at this LINK.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 AM
bryanw1968
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Don't do anything until you have a fairly decent understanding of the HD EFI system. If you don't, you are FAR more likely to be taken advantage of and end up spending time and money needlessly.

After that, give serious consideration to a full-featured tuning program and either learn to use it or find someone that is well versed in its use.

Until you gain some knowledge, you're not going to properly evaluate the advice some not-so-reputable people are going to give you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response. I have a very solid understanding of mechanics and fuel injection in the auto-world as I wrench and race. Just getting my arms around what's available, how much it costs and what actually works. I have no problem just getting a tuner and learning it. Problem I'm finding is that everybody is suggesting something different. I'd actually prefer tuning myself as I could adjust for mechanical upgrades as needed. And, not have to go back to the stealership each time I do something. That being said, what is your .02 cents on a good tuner brand?
Thanks!
B

Old 11-11-2014, 10:29 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the response. I have a very solid understanding of mechanics and fuel injection in the auto-world as I wrench and race. Just getting my arms around what's available, how much it costs and what actually works. I have no problem just getting a tuner and learning it. Problem I'm finding is that everybody is suggesting something different. I'd actually prefer tuning myself as I could adjust for mechanical upgrades as needed. And, not have to go back to the stealership each time I do something. That being said, what is your .02 cents on a good tuner brand?
Thanks!
B
The best flash tuners are Power Vision, TTS, and SE Pro Race Tuner.

Unless you're going to use HD parts exclusively, I don't recommend the SE tuner. There's no map support and little or no tech support.

I like the Power Vision. It's easy to use and provides a display for tuning, reading codes, and monitoring various parameters.

The TTS is also a fine product, but not quite as easy to use. Both have an auto tune mode.

Read up on both and decide which best suits your needs.

If you would like to discuss with a professional, or just get another opinion, talk to forum sponsor Fuel Moto. Good people willing to spend some time with you. Very well liked here, and they provide base maps with their tuning products, as well as lifetime maps. Probably the best tech support in the industry.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 11-11-2014, 11:16 AM
bryanw1968
Stage IV

Originally Posted by nhrider1
The best flash tuners are Power Vision, TTS, and SE Pro Race Tuner.

Unless you're going to use HD parts exclusively, I don't recommend the SE tuner. There's no map support and little or no tech support.

I like the Power Vision. It's easy to use and provides a display for tuning, reading codes, and monitoring various parameters.

The TTS is also a fine product, but not quite as easy to use. Both have an auto tune mode.

Read up on both and decide which best suits your needs.

If you would like to discuss with a professional, or just get another opinion, talk to forum sponsor Fuel Moto. Good people willing to spend some time with you. Very well liked here, and they provide base maps with their tuning products, as well as lifetime maps. Probably the best tech support in the industry.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/
Awesome thanks!
B

Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You have two basic choices: buy a tuner and learn to use it yourself; find a suitable dealer or indy and get them to tune it for you. If you chose the second, talk to them before committing to any specific tuner and go with what they recommend - they are unlikely to use or be able to use everything on the market!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...That being said, what is your .02 cents on a good tuner brand?...
OK, I guess what threw me was you drilled out the mufflers and plan to install a K&N filter. To me, both are red flags.

Drilling out the mufflers typically changes the sound and decreases back pressure. The decrease in pressure begins to present all kinds of funny and not-so-funny results.

The K&N filter thing is, IMHO, nothing more than a great marketing program. Now I have nothing against K&N filters except their claims of increased air flow which follows with an increase in power. While their formula is correct, the typical (non-blown) motor will see NO benefit from its installation.

With all that said, I'm not one to recommend any device or product (yes, I tune bikes using a full-featured tuning program). I have no connection with any brand nor do I make a single cent by recommending anything (unlike a couple of posters here).

But it is important that YOU, the owner/user understand what each device can and cannot do, why each is important, and which claims are just barely on the legal side.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:49 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

That being said, what is your .02 cents on a good tuner brand?
Thanks!
B
Tough question. If you are going to use the features built into the tuner and tune it your self there are 3 I highly recommend. In no particular order.

1: SEPST - has a feature called Smarttune, You load the MAP in your bike, put it in Smarttune mode and go ride to gather data, come back and run through the program to accept the Data blah blah, re-load new corrected MAP and repeat untill you are happy. There's a good thread on it https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...on-thread.html

2:TTS Mastertune - pretty similar to the SEPST, it is made by the creator of the original SERT. Has a feature called V-tune, Works much like the SEPST and there is some additional software you can run with the TTS software to aide in tuning. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...formation.html

3: Dynojet Power Vision - It's unique in the fact that it has it's own touch screen monitor wich makes it easier to load MAPs and also do your data collecting. The market it as "autotune" which is misleading because you have to manually accept the tune that it changes. So basically it gathers data then "recommends" the changes that you need to make. If your bike has o2 sensors then you can use them to gather data or you can purchase the autotune kit from them that comes with wide band o2 sensors. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...-by-admin.html

All 3 of these will do the job, it's really just user preference. I've tuned all of them.

The thing you want to keep in mind if you are self tuning is that while you are riding and data collecting you are riding your bike OUT OF TUNE, to me that is the deal breaker and why I don't recommend it but to each his own. All I can say about it is I hope you start with a MAP that is very close to your build.

That said, if you are going to have your bike professionally tuned the best tuner to purchase is the one that the guy that you are having tune your bike recommends. In other words, you can buy a SEPST (which is a fine tuner) but if your guy is more familiar with tuning a Vision, you might not end up with a good running bike.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:27 AM
bryanw1968
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
OK, I guess what threw me was you drilled out the mufflers and plan to install a K&N filter. To me, both are red flags.

Drilling out the mufflers typically changes the sound and decreases back pressure. The decrease in pressure begins to present all kinds of funny and not-so-funny results.

The K&N filter thing is, IMHO, nothing more than a great marketing program. Now I have nothing against K&N filters except their claims of increased air flow which follows with an increase in power. While their formula is correct, the typical (non-blown) motor will see NO benefit from its installation.

With all that said, I'm not one to recommend any device or product (yes, I tune bikes using a full-featured tuning program). I have no connection with any brand nor do I make a single cent by recommending anything (unlike a couple of posters here).

But it is important that YOU, the owner/user understand what each device can and cannot do, why each is important, and which claims are just barely on the legal side.

Good luck!
"Drilling out the mufflers typically changes the sound and decreases back pressure. The decrease in pressure begins to present all kinds of funny and not-so-funny results."

The current bottle neck is at the filter. Yes the drilled out baffles opened up the exhaust but without changing the filter I don't see how any extra air will flow through the motor. By adding the K&N it should make everything flow more creating an even leaner condition. Which, after much research and questions here(thanks :-) I've decided to try the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak3. The majority of the feedback I've read from people running that are positive. And, it's in my budget. I'll post back here after I install everything. Hopefully I'll be another happy customer.
Thanks,
B

Quick Reply: Need tuning advice.....