Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Throttle bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:53 PM
hockeypuck
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle bogging down

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I have an 09 electra glide classic with about 34,000 miles on it. the other day I was leaving the grocery store and as I was leaving the lot in first gear, it bogged down. almost like in the old days when we had lever chokes on the old Honda's etc and if you forgot to take the choke off it bogged in first gear when you tried t accelerate. Also the little yellow engine temp light came on and never has done that in the past. Took it to the dealer and waiting for diagnosis, but always like to get feedback from the real world riders. Help!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:03 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like it got very hot or the Temp sensor went bad. It probably went in limp mode.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Sethcat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeypuck
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I have an 09 electra glide classic with about 34,000 miles on it. the other day I was leaving the grocery store and as I was leaving the lot in first gear, it bogged down. almost like in the old days when we had lever chokes on the old Honda's etc and if you forgot to take the choke off it bogged in first gear when you tried t accelerate. Also the little yellow engine temp light came on and never has done that in the past. Took it to the dealer and waiting for diagnosis, but always like to get feedback from the real world riders. Help!
hockeypuck, I know this was a while ago but what was the fix when you got your bike back from the dealer?

I am having a similar issue right now.

2012 FLHX, PCV, Ness Big sucker, fulsac sportpipe, FM mufflers.

This past summer after a long trip I started exhibiting similar symptoms.

Sometimes at idle, the rpms will rise to around 1500 to 2k and as soon as I apply throttle, the motor bogs down and stalls if I do not let off. Trying to start from stop when this occurs leads to stalling out.

Sometimes while riding, I will experience a similar thing where applying throttle too quickly will cause the motor to bog. If I apply gingerly, I can overcome the bogging and then eventually rev higher and upshift.

I removed my PCV. It idled roughly in my driveway. As soon as I left the driveway I got the problem. Then I rode around the neighborhood with no additional problems. I decided to keep riding around town to continue to road test. I stopped at a bar and grabbed a beer. Then continued riding a little more and returned home. Still no more signs of the issue.

I rode to work the next day and got there without issues. I experienced the issues on the way home.

There are some other threads that have mentioned bad throttle bodies or step up motor. I also saw one that said to clean the fuses. I will try all of this stuff tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,227 Likes on 3,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethcat
hockeypuck, I know this was a while ago but what was the fix when you got your bike back from the dealer?

I am having a similar issue right now.

2012 FLHX, PCV, Ness Big sucker, fulsac sportpipe, FM mufflers.

This past summer after a long trip I started exhibiting similar symptoms.

Sometimes at idle, the rpms will rise to around 1500 to 2k and as soon as I apply throttle, the motor bogs down and stalls if I do not let off. Trying to start from stop when this occurs leads to stalling out.

Sometimes while riding, I will experience a similar thing where applying throttle too quickly will cause the motor to bog. If I apply gingerly, I can overcome the bogging and then eventually rev higher and upshift.

I removed my PCV. It idled roughly in my driveway. As soon as I left the driveway I got the problem. Then I rode around the neighborhood with no additional problems. I decided to keep riding around town to continue to road test. I stopped at a bar and grabbed a beer. Then continued riding a little more and returned home. Still no more signs of the issue.

I rode to work the next day and got there without issues. I experienced the issues on the way home.

There are some other threads that have mentioned bad throttle bodies or step up motor. I also saw one that said to clean the fuses. I will try all of this stuff tomorrow.

If you are not getting an engine light, check fuel pressure. If you are getting engine light check codes.