Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Mileage dropped too much!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fuel Mileage dropped too much!!

09 Street Glide
96ci
Fuel Moto Billet A/C
Jackpot 3.5 Dyno tuned muffs
Powervision
SE204 cams

Prior to the cams I was getting 36-44 MPG. After the cams I tried a tune from Fuel Moto, KE5RBD was helping (and was very close to what the Dyno tuner came up with with just emails). Finally I got tired of playing around and had the bike tuned by Raganit in Houma. Everyone in the area raved about him and I have to admit he got the more torque and hp than I expected. However my mileage has dropped to a low of 22-28 MPG. From what I read from others on the forums MPG usually doesn't take that much of a hit from 204 cams. The speedo was corrected in all of the tuning as well, but I dont think that should make too much difference. All in all I lost more 60 miles per tank as now I only get a max of 140 and was able to squeeze about 220 before.

I have also noticed that the bike kinda stutters or surges (not sure how to describe it. While at any steady rpm the bike seems to lunge and slow down some. not enough for the wife to feel, but I can tell) I will try to take a video of it later on. This is my first cammed Harley so I am not sure if that is typical or not.

I do think however that I can get better mileage and keep the torque that I have now. All I have at this point are the pics of the plugs after about 500 miles since the tune.

I HAVE not confered with the tuner again yet because he is an hour away and I have been super busy at work. I am not bashing him or Fuel Moto or KE5RBD for that matter, just looking for some insight here.

I have pics of the plugs too, but they look pretty good to me.

Rear plug

Front plug

Old 11-25-2014, 01:08 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Pic of ring of plug be good too, if anything you look more on the lean side from those plugs

Do you smell fuel at all? If rich you would most likely see more of a tan deposit on porclein and more carbon on the ring
Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 11-25-2014, 07:58 AM
tv7son
Cruiser

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Stang,
the surging might be that your VE tables are a little out of balance.
I try to keep them slowly increasing as you move left to right and down too.

Left to right for example if a VE at 2250 shows 82 83 84 94 85 86, the 94 will cause a little surge or push. the opposite example if a number is lower than the numbers around it there will be a little uuh there too.

Engine vibration will be noticeable too. When I "smooth" my VE table I look at the #'s above, below, left, right of a cell. Then try to set the VE cell in between all of them.

Save your work with another file name in case you over correct and have to revert back to your last correction.

Gas mileage: 2250-2750 is most likely your cruising area see if any VE's are extremely high in that area.

Phase II The front VE's are leaner than the rear VE's, if you get them too far from each other you will get a shake of vibration under acceleration

I hope you are able to see/find something that will help.
SFS

Last edited by tv7son; 11-25-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Have you been back to Raganit? Discuss you concerns with him, so he can sort it out. Those plugs don't look right to me and fuel consumption shouldn't be that low, assuming your riding on the street!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

those plugs look very lean and the condition you are describing are lean. The gap is also atleast .060" looks like. Could be bad camera angle but the center electrode and ground electrode should be parallel at the gap area. If the heat range is too hot it will cause the same surging issue. Those aren't the factory plugs either. May want to get original set of plugs to make sure heat range is correct. Like some said you may want to get back in contact with the dyno and let him know of your concerns. If you can do a datalog run from the gauge screen of the PV and not in autotune and send it to me I will look it over and see if can give you some insight into the issues. Set the gauge selection at the top of the assign gauges screen to advanced and it will pick up more data for the datalog. It would be helpful if you send copy of the current tune to compare to. It is not too uncommon with new tune to loose some mileage from twisting the right grip too much either. I know it messes my mileage up, but not to the amount you are loosing. If need send me email if you have questions on the datalog.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hi,

Pic of ring of plug be good too, if anything you look more on the lean side from those plugs

Do you smell fuel at all? If rich you would most likely see more of a tan deposit on porclein and more carbon on the ring
Thanks
Mirrmu
I do smell fuel in warm-up only.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Have you been back to Raganit? Discuss you concerns with him, so he can sort it out. Those plugs don't look right to me and fuel consumption shouldn't be that low, assuming your riding on the street!
Not yet. I have been working until well after he is closed so I have not had a chance to discuss with him. I wanted to get some insight as to what might be going on though. I plan on playing around with the PV to see if the ECM has made any "adjustments" while is sounds crazy it did that to me once already. Although minor to a couple of numbers I could tell a difference, Mac went over those with me when it happened.

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
those plugs look very lean and the condition you are describing are lean. The gap is also atleast .060" looks like. Could be bad camera angle but the center electrode and ground electrode should be parallel at the gap area. If the heat range is too hot it will cause the same surging issue. Those aren't the factory plugs either. May want to get original set of plugs to make sure heat range is correct. Like some said you may want to get back in contact with the dyno and let him know of your concerns. If you can do a datalog run from the gauge screen of the PV and not in autotune and send it to me I will look it over and see if can give you some insight into the issues. Set the gauge selection at the top of the assign gauges screen to advanced and it will pick up more data for the datalog. It would be helpful if you send copy of the current tune to compare to. It is not too uncommon with new tune to loose some mileage from twisting the right grip too much either. I know it messes my mileage up, but not to the amount you are loosing. If need send me email if you have questions on the datalog.
Those were the plugs he recommends using. He had gapped them for the tune and bike. Raganit was the one that told me to check the plugs after a few hundred miles and get back to him when I did so that is now on me. And I had the surging before the plug change. I can double check the plug numbers later this evening that will be easy.
As far as the twisty loss I thought that might be the case, but the mileage dropped way too much. Ashame too because the power is there. I hate to keep bugging you with this stuff since you helped me so much already.

Thanks for the insight I'll let everyone know what he says after I speak with him. Hopefully this week. (If he's not closed for Thanksgiving holiday).

Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

See what he has your AFR table set at, if possible do a screen shot and post it here. If he has your o2's off and the VE's are rich in the cruising ranges that could be it. The surging is most definitely in the tune

Old 11-25-2014, 05:21 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
09 Street Glide
96ci
Fuel Moto Billet A/C
Jackpot 3.5 Dyno tuned muffs
Powervision
SE204 cams

Prior to the cams I was getting 36-44 MPG. After the cams...
Do you know if the IVO & IVC was reset after the new cams were installed?

Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Do you know if the IVO & IVC was reset after the new cams were installed?
I don't know what they are...so no I have no idea. Please enlighten me so that I can check.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
I don't know what they are...so no I have no idea. Please enlighten me so that I can check.
Sorry, IVO = Intake valve open & IVC = Intake valve closed.

This should ALWAYS be done before any tuning takes place. If they are not set correctly, the rest of the tune can be way off.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage dropped too much!!