Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Backfire through intake during cranking

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:46 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The first Power Vision I did was on a Dyna with 204 cams. Would start fine cold, but soon as warmed up was hard to start. You had to crack the throttle to get it to start. Leaned the cranking fuel and no more issue. I do it on all the maps I do. It is almost a necessity if you have cams or free flowing exhaust. It doesn't help much on stock bikes, but doesn't seem to hurt anything. they also seem to start better if you just hit the start button soon as you turn on the bike. I only wait if engine is cold for the light to go out.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
The first Power Vision I did was on a Dyna with 204 cams. Would start fine cold, but soon as warmed up was hard to start. You had to crack the throttle to get it to start. Leaned the cranking fuel and no more issue. I do it on all the maps I do. It is almost a necessity if you have cams or free flowing exhaust. It doesn't help much on stock bikes, but doesn't seem to hurt anything. they also seem to start better if you just hit the start button soon as you turn on the bike. I only wait if engine is cold for the light to go out.
Gotcha, I'll give your cranking table a try. I have tried hitting the start button immediately with some success, however sometimes the idle seems unstable after doing this.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:54 AM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My bike does this about once every 50 starts or so. I have not tried to fix, figure it's a good wy to clean out the air filter

Old 04-14-2023, 06:11 PM
bsmith9008
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Been getting this issue more frequently. Sometimes during cranking, cold or hot doesn't matter, my 103 will backfire through the intake. It usually starts up just fine after that. I've had off and on cranking issues with this bike since I got it. Sometimes it fires up in 1 second, other times it will take 3-4 seconds of cranking. Totally random, I never know what it's going to do when I hit the starter.

I'm thinking the backfiring may be related to my battery being a little weak because it tends to happen more when it seems that the battery is struggling to turn the motor.

Before you start thinking lean mixture, don't...I've actually added 10% more fuel during cranking with my PV to see if it would help the random starting issues. So far it hasn't.
I have a 2010 street glide that has a big bore kit on it and it's always done it when its hot. Like a gas stop. a mechanic i know told me that it was because the pistons in a weird place and the compression is higher makes it harder to turn over. Always sounded to me like the bike was coughing after a couple cranks and I'd hit the starter again and itd fire right up.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Post is over 8 years old. If you want to get some discussion on your issue, start a new thread.