Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need help on air cleaner and tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Need help on air cleaner and tuner

I have a 2010 Road King that I bought two months ago, This is my first bike so I know very little about anything when it comes to bikes. Planning after Christmas to add a stage 1 to it.

My baby has Vance and Hines slip-on's from the original owner. only numbers I can find are D616rc but can not find these on there web site. I do not see anything on the ECM for a tuner. could there by some kind of tuner and not be connected to the ECM. The air filter says Harley on it so I assume it's stock but not positive.

What I want to know is what is the best way to upgrade this ride to a stage 1, are the pipes ok, what tuner would be best and what air intake if what I have is stock.

Thank You

Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by georgewerr
I have a 2010 Road King that I bought two months ago, This is my first bike so I know very little about anything when it comes to bikes. Planning after Christmas to add a stage 1 to it.

My baby has Vance and Hines slip-on's from the original owner. only numbers I can find are D616rc but can not find these on there web site. I do not see anything on the ECM for a tuner. could there by some kind of tuner and not be connected to the ECM. The air filter says Harley on it so I assume it's stock but not positive.

What I want to know is what is the best way to upgrade this ride to a stage 1, are the pipes ok, what tuner would be best and what air intake if what I have is stock.

Thank You
Mufflers should be OK. Almost all aftermarket air filter kits will flow more than enough air for stage-1 (or stage-2 for that matter), so go with what you like.

I like the Dynojet Power Vision tuner. Lots of capability and a built in display, but there are others that may also suit your needs.

I suggest you call Fuel Moto. They are a forum sponsor. They provide excellent products and support and will discuss your needs.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Their stage-1 air filter kit and Power Vision make a great stage-1 combo, and they usually discount the package.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

THIS overview on the different types of tuner options may also help you out...

The POWER VISION can give you control over the ECM to get the best possible tune, delivering 100% of all available power.

However, the XIEDs is a budget solution that many are happy with.

As for the air cleaner you may want to go with something like the Outlaw 587 or the Outlaw 636v, these air cleaners don't allow the hot dirty oily air to be routed back into the intake like most other air cleaners
Here is a example of the chrome cyclone 587

Also, a example of the 636v

Hope this helps you out, Ride Safe

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 12-11-2014, 02:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by georgewerr

Thank You
90% of the folks who are doing nothing more to their bikes other than exhaust and A/C are running around happy as a lark with a stage 1 download from HD.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
90% of the folks who are doing nothing more to their bikes other than exhaust and A/C are running around happy as a lark with a stage 1 download from HD.
This is true.

I like another tuning product which was the original race tuner. It's called the TTS. I consider it the best on the market. Do your research thoroughly before you buy. Don't be pushed, make your own educated choice.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:39 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

+10 on the TTS.

I decided a few weeks ago to move to the "dark side" after being a TTS follower since it's inception. Well needless to say after about 15 auto tunes and countless hours (roughly about 20 hours) wasted on the PV tuning and tweaking, and a bike that ran more horrible than it was ever intended to do, it's back in the box and the TTS is back on the bike. Thought about selling it but since I went through the trouble of making my own single "Y" cable for both the canbus and J1850 bikes (so now I have a PV-1-2), figured I use it for monitoring stuff as that's appears to be all it's good for to me. To each his own as they say.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:18 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Everyone thank you for your help, after Christmas I will get the outlaw 587 but still need to do some research on a tuner. Will wait till putting the air cleaner on until I get a tuner.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:15 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

My air filter says harley also and it is a stage 1 filter. Might want to post up a pic so you can get the right info. You may have high flo and stage one download.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:48 AM
1WiLdChiLd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cleaner and tuner

I have a 2011 Ultra Clasic. I'm running 4" Rhinehart slip ons with free flow baffels. I did remove the catalytic converter. I am running an ArlenNess "Big Sucker" stage I intake plate and filter behind the stock filter cover. I am using a Cobra auto tuner. I am having no issues starting or running. Without the cat and more internal air flow, the engine is running much cooler. Throttle response is great and I think there is more power. With the Cobra auto tune, you do not map anything or ever put on a Dyno. Pay more for the tunner but save on Dyno charges. If I were racing, then I would want a tuner I could play with. I just want to ride and not worry if I ever make changes to my intake or exhaust.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WiLdChiLd
I have a 2011 Ultra Clasic. I'm running 4" Rhinehart slip ons with free flow baffels. I did remove the catalytic converter. I am running an ArlenNess "Big Sucker" stage I intake plate and filter behind the stock filter cover. I am using a Cobra auto tuner. I am having no issues starting or running. Without the cat and more internal air flow, the engine is running much cooler. Throttle response is great and I think there is more power. With the Cobra auto tune, you do not map anything or ever put on a Dyno. Pay more for the tunner but save on Dyno charges. If I were racing, then I would want a tuner I could play with. I just want to ride and not worry if I ever make changes to my intake or exhaust.
That's very cool. You happy is all that matters.

May I ask you a question sir? Have you had such a set up on any other bike and used any of the top three flash tuners via self tune or professional Dyno tune? SEPro, Power Vision or TTS? I ask this not to gig you but to know if you have experience with the flash tuners for a comparison with the Cobra.

Quick Reply: Need help on air cleaner and tuner