Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Swapping TSM for TSSM

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Jimdgreat1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping TSM for TSSM

Have been searching and reading about TSM/TSSM swaps. Seems everyone wants to get rid of the alarm system. Can find several threads trying to get rid of and none wanting to add.

Is the security part that bad on harley bikes?

Will the TSSM work in my no security system 04 road king?

I'm looking to replace my 68920-01C with a 68922-00D. Tell me how bad of an idea this is and why I should not.

Last edited by Jimdgreat1; 12-15-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added D to end of part number and spelling
Old 12-15-2014, 03:15 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I have had both types of HD security on two bikes. I don't think it's an issue. If you want it go for it. A little expensive as an afterthought. Money might be better spent on something else. Both mine were installed at factory. I think you just swap em out and activate it. Any reason for adding it now?

Old 12-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about adding, but we have an 07, and an 06 CVO, bosses and mine, and the 07 doesn't have the arm disarm button on the fob. it's a pain on his having to have the fob in your back pocket most of the time, even with new batteries it seems, mine with the button works great. If I was going to add a security system afterwords I would go with a Bulldog or Viper.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Jimdgreat1
Advanced

Thanks for the response. Just recently bought the bike. I'm also adding cruise. Doing the security mod because it doesnt have one. Partly because I want to. Something new to figure out how it works.
This is my first newer Harley. I'm kind of a nut on figuring out what everything can do.

Got the tssm cheap, looking at key fobs also on ebay.
Have a Harley tech as a friend. So he can give some advise. Thought I would ask the knowledge base here.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Jimdgreat1
Advanced

Thought I would add. I'm new to the fancy electronic stuff. But very versed in the nuts and bolts of evo and shovel era mechanics. Doubt my RK will ever see the inside of a dealership again.

Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by Jimdgreat1; 12-15-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

My 04 has the TSSM. Alarm works great. I only have the flashing lights. Not the optional battery siren. All I ever use to disable start. Just hit the button and walk away.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe that when you add the TSSM, you will have to flash the TSSM/ECM to marry them together. I remember reading this is a Harley only thing with the digital tech. I am not sure what happens if you just plug it in, as in if the bike will start or not.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I got rid of my security system (2011) because of the electrical draw of the proximity system. I'll be doing the same with my 02 Dyna this winter (the 02 has a different system). One less reason the bike won't start.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:39 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalShot
I believe that when you add the TSSM, you will have to flash the TSSM/ECM to marry them together. I remember reading this is a Harley only thing with the digital tech. I am not sure what happens if you just plug it in, as in if the bike will start or not.
You are correct in that it will have to have the ECM flashed to marry the TSSM to it, this can be done at the dealer or at an INDY shop that has Techno Research, Techno Research is an aftermarket version of Digital Tech II (what the dealers use).

Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Keep in mind that a late model Harley TSSM only draws 1 milliampere armed or unarmed with the key off. The ECM, speedometer,tac,HFSM and voltage regulator with the key off also draw 1 mA each. There is no reason to worry about the current they use. The older ones like my 04 draw 3. Even that has little if any to do with sitting battery life. Do not let the spark that a cable makes when you first attach the battery. It's system draws about 30 mA for the first 30 seconds and then tapers off to the typical little more than 6 mA.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-16-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Swapping TSM for TSSM