Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2012 FDXWG - VH Fuelpak issue solved

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 AM
jlgrebe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 FDXWG - VH Fuelpak issue solved

I recently purchased a used 2012 Dyna Wide Glide with about 300 miles on it. The original owner bought it for his wife who ended up not riding it.

I rode it around town for about 100 miles on stock exhaust, and then decided to change the exhaust.

So I had my trusted mechanic install Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes, Screamin Eagle heavy breather, and the Vance and Hines fuelpak.

Picked up the bike rode around for another 100 miles or so without any issues. Then one day I took it out and got aggressive on throttle just to see what that 103 with new pipes could do......

At that point, the engine sagged and started popping and being erratic. While I was holding the throttle in one spot, the RPM kept going up and down. I finally limped home got it in the garage and took a break. When I went out the next day, everything was back to normal -- so I brought it over to the mechanic and told him what happened. Other than a clutch adjustment, he could not find anything else to fix -- everything was fine

Then it happened again this past Sunday -- again I was out riding with a friend, decided to hammer on the throttle and everything went wrong the same way with identical symptoms

On Monday, I downloaded the fuel map from Vance and Hines to make sure all the settings were correct -- and they were. But, the throttle sensor setting was not right.....

When setup correctly, the throttle sensor should go from 0 to 99 as you roll the throttle from closed to wide open. In my case, the sensor went form 0 to 99, but it reached 99 at approximately 70% open -- when I opened it further, the value changed to "- -"

Next was getting on the phone with Fuelpak tech support -- they told me that if the calibration is not done correctly and the sensor encounters the "- -" during operation a throttle sensor error is encountered which will lead to the problem I had. So, we redid the calibration step, verified that it went form 0 to 99 (wide open), and now everything seems to be okay

I have not yet attempted to hammer on throttle to really test it. Will do that over this weekend when someone can follow me with the trailer if necessary.... I will report back

Lessons learned:

Throttle calibration should be done by slowly opening throttle all the way and slowly closing all the way; then verify the setting. If you do the open/close too quickly, or do not open all the way, the calibration will be wrong.

When you get a throttle sensor error during a ride, you have to shut down the bike for at east a minute in order for the Fuelpak computer to recover from the error. If you just shut down and restart (like I did), the error will persist.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:38 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

hi,

good post mate, lets us know how it all works out

thanks
mirrmu