Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ummm I need advice on Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 01:15 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Most all upper-end tuners will have the ability to over-ride a previously installed program or "map" on the ECU of your bike.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:44 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Depends on what was used to tune it. More than likely a new tuner will be able to re-write the existing MAP on the bike. The only exception I can think of would be if it was previously tuned with the TTS Mastertuner. If it was the Mastertuner locks the ECM. If that's the case you can contact Steve Cole at TTS and he will be able to get it unlocked for you, or you could just purchase a TTS as your tuner and it will be fine.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:47 AM
QSHOG
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found out the previous owner had purchased a Harley32107-01C EFI Race Tuner. It sounds like that is what’s in it because the bikeis running very rich, the gas mileage sucks and I get some back firing whendecelerating. From what I have read these are traits of this controller whennot properly tuned.

I checked out TTS and through them found an engine builderclose to where I live. I’ll check them out.

Thanks

Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Try to get ahold of the previous owner if possible. I doubt that he's thrown away the Race Tuner, he most likely forgot to give it to the dealer when he took them the bike. He can't use it on another bike. The SERT is a good tuner and you'll save some serious coinage if you can get it back.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by QSHOG
I found out the previous owner had purchased a Harley32107-01C EFI Race Tuner. It sounds like that is what’s in it because the bike is running very rich, the gas mileage sucks and I get some back firing when decelerating. From what I have read these are traits of this controller when not properly tuned.
Any tuner when not properly tuned is likely to give poor results! If you already have one installed your bike may simply need a bit of tlc from a suitable tuning shop. Your SERT should be able to give you a decent trouble-free tune.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:39 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Any tuner when not properly tuned is likely to give poor results! If you already have one installed your bike may simply need a bit of tlc from a suitable tuning shop. Your SERT should be able to give you a decent trouble-free tune.
I agree, but he bought the bike used and the SERT wasn't given to him.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:03 PM
QSHOG
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Try to get ahold of the previous owner if possible. I doubt that he's thrown away the Race Tuner, he most likely forgot to give it to the dealer when he took them the bike. He can't use it on another bike. The SERT is a good tuner and you'll save some serious coinage if you can get it back.
Yea I'll try to contact him again but I have little hope. Something happened that really upset the previous owner. He was putting a lot of time and money into this bike and for some reason, he took the bike to a dealership and just sold it to them. He didn't want another bike, just all he could get for his. The salesman told me they beat him up pretty good.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:10 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, you're not the Dealer and you didn't beat him up, So, just ask politely. It's of no use to him.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:30 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree, even if you give him a 50 it's worth it

Old 01-21-2015, 03:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by QSHOG
Yea I'll try to contact him again but I have little hope. Something happened that really upset the previous owner. He was putting a lot of time and money into this bike and for some reason, he took the bike to a dealership and just sold it to them. He didn't want another bike, just all he could get for his. The salesman told me they beat him up pretty good.
Could have lost his job or his wife, or suffered a similar loss with lots of emotional distress. Well worth approaching him, with care as OldEnuf2NoBtr suggests.

Quick Reply: Ummm I need advice on Tuners