Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision tune - question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Zonk72
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Vision tune - question

I have a 2013 Heritage Classic that I recently did a stage one upgrade to. I added V&H Big Radius 2 in 2 set of pipes and a Kuryakyn air cleaner (basically full flow). I also purchased a PV-2 tuner. I downloaded Power Vision's recommended tune and am experiencing decel popping. I contacted PV and received a few recommendations that I completed (fuel decel +2 & spark decel +2). That did not seem to improve the deceleration popping as much as I had hoped. BTW - I have checked the exhaust for leaks. I have tried to adjust the fuel up to +7 and still have decel popping.

Has anyone else out there used a similar combination for a stage 1 upgrade and if so, what settings did you end up with? I was wondering if there is a maximum increase that I should use when increasing the fuel? One final question, would additional spark increase help?

Thank you in advance for responses/comments.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Zonk72
...I was wondering if there is a maximum increase that I should use when increasing the fuel?...
Hint, increasing the fuel is not always the way to go...

Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Zonk72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Hint, increasing the fuel is not always the way to go...

Interesting, Thank you.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:54 PM
Pine Tree

Interesting, Thank you.
The whole decel pop issue came about when the stock exhaust system was altered decreasing the back pressure.

Then came the "add fuel only" devices to help alleviate the problem. It was found early on that if the bike was experiencing decel pop, the cheapest method was to drown it with fuel until it stopped popping. That method works to a point then bad things can start to happen.

What you really should do is determine where in the rpm/kPa range the pop is occurring. Then address the issue after that because the location of the pop might require a different action.

Hope that helps...

Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Zonk72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
The whole decel pop issue came about when the stock exhaust system was altered decreasing the back pressure.

Then came the "add fuel only" devices to help alleviate the problem. It was found early on that if the bike was experiencing decel pop, the cheapest method was to drown it with fuel until it stopped popping. That method works to a point then bad things can start to happen.

What you really should do is determine where in the rpm/kPa range the pop is occurring. Then address the issue after that because the location of the pop might require a different action.

Hope that helps...

Thank you Pine Tree. Being new at this tuner thing, I am going to have to do some studying to figure out how to use the tuner to get the information that you mention. This afternoon I set the fuel decel at 5 and the spark decel at 3 and at first thought I had it. After about 20-30 minutes of riding, the decel popping started up. I will not give up!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Pine Tree

Thank you Pine Tree. Being new at this tuner thing, I am going to have to do some studying to figure out how to use the tuner to get the information that you mention. This afternoon I set the fuel decel at 5 and the spark decel at 3 and at first thought I had it. After about 20-30 minutes of riding, the decel popping started up. I will not give up!
No worries.

Once you gain some more detailed knowledge of the HD EFI system and begin to understand all the various tables, you'll be able to get the bike to perform in a manner YOU want. While it seems a bit overwhelming at first, going through a couple tunes will make subsequent tunes a lot easier and efficient.

As long as you have the stock tune stored (some put a copy on a thumb drive just in case), you can usually recover from just about any mistake.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

There are no absolutes in tuning, including adjustments for decel popping. This characteristic can happen for various reasons including but not limited to an exhaust or intake leak, lean tune condition, rich tune condition or simply a tune that is off in left field. The first thing we start with is looking at the hardware; an exhaust leak, the overall exhaust design & baffle, and how it's relative to reversion or any other potential tuning issues we are up against. We then look at the tune paying close attention to any problematic areas or rogue cells or values that are out of place, this include tune edits as well as data that was populated with Auto Tune. By adding fuel you are lowering EGT, essentially cooling the exhaust gasses as well as heat transfer, by removing fuel you are lowering the injector pw to help prevent excessive fuel from igniting. There is no right or wrong, you simply need to give the motor what it wants. In most cases (and depending on the specific calibration) we find that richening the mixture with a combination of adjustments to the VE, AF/Lambda, and Decel Enleanment tables is generally most effective, also note that in most cases even though you may be changing big values we are not making large changes or adding excessive fuel as the injector duty cycle is very, very small off throttle & during decel, it takes a pretty big tune change to make a considerable difference at such small DC. Many of the late model calibrations have decel fuel cutoff so removing fuel just causes more issues when the injectors come back in, however some models respond well to removing fuel as well. Again, it all comes down to what the motor wants. Hope this info helps...

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com