Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 with CAMS????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FP3 with CAMS????

I am not sure if this should have been posted in Tuner or CAMS section. I have the same question in softail section. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, I warned you guys that I was going to have lots of questions during my project Breakout. I'm getting ready to start, the parts are coming in and I believe the disassembly will start this weekend. I will be replacing many of the chrome covers with black (including upper/lower rocker boxes, cam cover etc.). I have decided that since I am changing the rocker box covers I will go ahead and change the push rod covers and the tappet covers. Now this leads me to my question. My original plan for this project was to make mostly cosmetic changes to the bike (with exception to exhaust, air filter and tuner). Now I am wondering if I should change the cams since I will already have the rocker box covers, push rods and cam cover out of the way. I have done some research and I believe the SE 204 cam is the best for me and my riding style. I have seen that many on here are big fans of other after market cams but I intend to use the stock push rods so it is important that I use a cam with a base circle the same as the stock cam. I have reviewed my service manual and watched many of the cam replacement youtube videos and I am nervous but feel this is not beyond my capabilities. I will be using the FP3 (already purchased) for the tune. Now to the questions:

Does the FP3 have a can tune for cams?

If not, how would I get it close enough to run "auto tune", and will "auto tune" adjust for the cam?

Keeping in mind that I am not dissatisfied with the performance of my bike now, will the SE 204 give a performance gain that will make it worth my time to put it in?

This would be my first cam replacement, what kind of roadblocks can I expect during this task?

The bike only has 200 miles on it, do I need to change the cam bearings or will they be ok (this may be a deal breaker for me since I do not have the proper tools to change the bearings)?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.
Gary

Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyvetteguy
I am not sure if this should have been posted in Tuner or CAMS section. I have the same question in softail section. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, I warned you guys that I was going to have lots of questions during my project Breakout. I'm getting ready to start, the parts are coming in and I believe the disassembly will start this weekend. I will be replacing many of the chrome covers with black (including upper/lower rocker boxes, cam cover etc.). I have decided that since I am changing the rocker box covers I will go ahead and change the push rod covers and the tappet covers. Now this leads me to my question. My original plan for this project was to make mostly cosmetic changes to the bike (with exception to exhaust, air filter and tuner). Now I am wondering if I should change the cams since I will already have the rocker box covers, push rods and cam cover out of the way. I have done some research and I believe the SE 204 cam is the best for me and my riding style. I have seen that many on here are big fans of other after market cams but I intend to use the stock push rods so it is important that I use a cam with a base circle the same as the stock cam. I have reviewed my service manual and watched many of the cam replacement youtube videos and I am nervous but feel this is not beyond my capabilities. I will be using the FP3 (already purchased) for the tune. Now to the questions:

Does the FP3 have a can tune for cams?

If not, how would I get it close enough to run "auto tune", and will "auto tune" adjust for the cam?

Keeping in mind that I am not dissatisfied with the performance of my bike now, will the SE 204 give a performance gain that will make it worth my time to put it in?

This would be my first cam replacement, what kind of roadblocks can I expect during this task?

The bike only has 200 miles on it, do I need to change the cam bearings or will they be ok (this may be a deal breaker for me since I do not have the proper tools to change the bearings)?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.
Gary
@Harleyvetteguy- The FP3 can accommodate for the aftermarket camshafts. Once you have decided what camshaft you like you can then upload the map for the exhaust setup you have currently and we can make the changes for you. Once the changes for the cam have been made, you can the run the AutoTune for 3 sessions (30-45 minutes each depending on riding style). Hit Apply after sessions 1 & 2 and then after the third session, hit finish and "flash" the bike. If you have any issues please give us a call or send us an email through the app.

1-800-592-2529

The following users liked this post:
fastjohnny (08-12-2017)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:04 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser

Thank you. I'm hoping to install in the next 3 weeks or so.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Thank you. I'm hoping to install in the next 3 weeks or so.
Looks likes they beat me to the punch. I will say that I have done this (Andrews 57h cams) and was able to take the bike out for 40+ miles yesterday. The new map supplied by V&H is actually running better than my previous stock map with stock cams.

Since you mention that this will be your first cam change, here is a link to my own "experience", I do have a list of tools, parts, etc. needed. It was not hard at all and while you should definitely buy new bearings for $14, I can tell you that I sold my bearing tool within 15 minutes of posting it so consider the purchase of the tool more like a rental fee

The S&S video is excellent and I had it running throughout most of the change with the exception of using the Heartland tool instructions for the bearings. Also when it came to the pushrod adjustment I did not use the video to find the base circle, instead I used HD Pilot's suggestion located on page 5. Once I did that it took me 10 minutes to get everything adjusted. You can also ditch the last couple of pages regarding my map and the tune I had, I had given V&H the wrong info, once that was changed bike ran perfectly.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...am-change.html

Last edited by robbyville; 01-22-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser

Thanks Robby, all of this information will be a huge help. Just ordered the cams, bearings, gaskets, tools. Should be here next week. Until then I'll continue watching videos, reading posts and reading my service manual to get myself up to speed so I will be mentally prepared for the install. I'll be sure to post pics once I have the project done.

Ride Safe
Gary

Old 01-22-2015, 04:42 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Robby, all of this information will be a huge help. Just ordered the cams, bearings, gaskets, tools. Should be here next week. Until then I'll continue watching videos, reading posts and reading my service manual to get myself up to speed so I will be mentally prepared for the install. I'll be sure to post pics once I have the project done.

Ride Safe
Gary
Will be great to see pics once done. Lots of fun doing the install and incredibly rewarding. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser

Update

FP3 is working perfectly. It was a effortless install. The folks at V&H were great to work with. Downloaded the map and then uploaded it to V&H with the info on the cams. They made the adjustments and sent it back to me. Flashed the ECM with the new map and just like that it's done. Took the bike for a ride and it is running perfect. i doubt I'll run an auto tune at this point because it's running so well. Great product, great service.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:17 AM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great to hear.
I am still breaking mine in before I go ahead and commit to a cam upgrade.
One thing for sure, new exhaust, AC and the FP3 will be coming my way in a couple of months.
Myron

Old 03-21-2015, 04:03 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Update

FP3 is working perfectly. It was a effortless install. The folks at V&H were great to work with. Downloaded the map and then uploaded it to V&H with the info on the cams. They made the adjustments and sent it back to me. Flashed the ECM with the new map and just like that it's done. Took the bike for a ride and it is running perfect. i doubt I'll run an auto tune at this point because it's running so well. Great product, great service.
Great to hear! I've actually developed a bit of a stutter at certain RPM's not sure why but I'll bet it has to do with my adding some lollipop style inserts into the baffles as a method of volume control.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:08 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
@Harleyvetteguy- The FP3 can accommodate for the aftermarket camshafts. Once you have decided what camshaft you like you can then upload the map for the exhaust setup you have currently and we can make the changes for you. Once the changes for the cam have been made, you can the run the AutoTune for 3 sessions (30-45 minutes each depending on riding style). Hit Apply after sessions 1 & 2 and then after the third session, hit finish and "flash" the bike. If you have any issues please give us a call or send us an email through the app.

1-800-592-2529
how do I safely remove old maps for space, also do you have a list of cams that you guys are tuned for as that will help in my decision? thanks

Quick Reply: FP3 with CAMS????