Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

flash tuners

Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

For ease of use, I don't think it gets better than the VH FP3. I'm a mouth-breathing window licker, and I had more trouble opening the box than I did connecting and flashing.

The results weren't earth-shaking, but definitely noticeable.

GM

Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangit
...Pine Tree, my understanding is the thing continuously runs diagnostics and adjusts several times a second.
Thanks for the post!

I believe this unit is a "piggy back" system that's downstream from the ECM. This means it takes information from the ECM and makes changes according to the algorithms programmed by the manufacturer.

Here's a statement I found on Cobra's website:

With the application of modern high-speed electronics, we can access this information and time the rotation of the crank from one firing to the next, and analyze whether the next firing is slightly stronger or weaker than the previous one.

Now comes the clever part: using the measurement of how hard a cylinder accelerates the crankshaft as a way to correct fuel mixture. If the mixture is a bit lean and our system adjusts it to be a bit richer at the next firing, more power will be produced and the piston will give the crank a slightly stronger kick. We can use this as a tool to move from whatever fuel mixture the engine is actually receiving, toward a more efficient mixture.

This means their system is always operating on past information. It needs to analyze what's already happened and decide what changes, if any, should be made. The system will always be using old data.

So, why not just access the proper ECM tables and set them correctly to begin with? Would that not be more efficient and effective? And what if the ECM has bad info to start with like the timing being off? Would the downstream Cobra just compound the errors?

Old 03-10-2015, 02:28 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
So, why not just access the proper ECM tables and set them correctly to begin with?
I'm trying to figure out your angle,,
It's looking like you endorse nothing but a full professional tune,, or spending any less then $500 on a tuner that doesn't offer full control is a waste of money.
You can certainly throw abbreviations around to show your obvious knowledge, but offer little more info then to buy the most expensive units available or your engine will be cursed with under-performance.
We all figured out the all important "Volume Efficiency"
If things aren't a mystery then why use terms and abbreviations commonly known only to experienced tuners to describe what's needed?

I'm not trying to be a smart-*** but all you offer is,
"I know what I'm talking about,, so listen to me"

Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I ran the Cobra Powerpro on my 2012 stage 1 Streetglide, the bike ran great. The only issue I had was my gas mileage dropped to an average 34 MPG, but I also was using the throttle a lot more than before the upgrade!

Old 03-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Dangit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Thanks for the post!

So, why not just access the proper ECM tables and set them correctly to begin with? Would that not be more efficient and effective? And what if the ECM has bad info to start with like the timing being off? Would the downstream Cobra just compound the errors?
Pine Tree, If I only knew how.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Dangit
Advanced

floridapoolboy, I had a system from CustomDynamics on my VTX1800 and my fuel mileage went down, but the performance really picked up. I figure if your scooter is running lean the fix is using more fuel. It's a trade out.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
I'm trying to figure out your angle,,
It's looking like you endorse nothing but a full professional tune,, or spending any less then $500 on a tuner that doesn't offer full control is a waste of money...
My only angle is to get you guys to truly understand what you're reading in some of the claims made by many with respect to tuning.

How many times have we read that just adding fuel will cool a modern-day HD motor? The assumption that some want you to buy into is that the ONLY reason an HD motor runs hot is lack of fuel. That is completely and totally false. And to significantly cool an HD motor with fuel, one would have to add so much that other problems begin to show up.

So, what else can cause an HD motor to run hot? Anyone???

...You can certainly throw abbreviations around to show your obvious knowledge, but offer little more info then to buy the most expensive units available or your engine will be cursed with under-performance...
If you go back and look at some of my posts, you'll notice I've added links to manuals that thoroughly explain each and every abbreviation I've used. The links I've used aren't restricted or require any password to access. But if you've chosen to ignore the information that I've provided, then that's on you.

...I'm not trying to be a smart-*** but all you offer is, "I know what I'm talking about,, so listen to me"
Now I've been here for a few years, made a few posts, but don't have an eidetic memory. So, maybe you could you please show me the post where I've used those words?

To be blunt, I don't give a flip if you listen to anything I say. But know this, I've taken the time to learn a thing or two about tuning (including those abbreviations). I've read the manuals, I've study under a professional tuner, and I can use a full-featured tuning program to achieve some fairly decent results. I did these things on my own and at my own expense. I do not sell anything nor have I ever charged anyone for sharing the little knowledge I have.

Yes, I am familiar with many of the devices on the market today. I'm also familiar with what they do and DON'T do. And yes, I do, from time to time, challenge someone to explain why they are taking the purposed course of action. It is not surprising to me when so many genuinely have no real idea why. Again, my angle is to get people to learn and understand. Historically, most don't want to expend that much energy.

So, if someone wants to use ANYTHING on their bike for ANY reason, that's entirely up to them.

Now, if I so upset you, I would suggest you add me to your ignore list and finally get some sleep.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I just put the cobra on my bike but haven't ridden it enough. My brother has the same bike as I do and his ran much better than mine on our last trip out west.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If you want to maybe talk to a local shop that has a pretty darn good reputation then ring up Lozano Brothers in New Braunfels.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Dangit
Advanced

Originally Posted by qtrracer
If you want to maybe talk to a local shop that has a pretty darn good reputation then ring up Lozano Brothers in New Braunfels.
I thought they were just race car engines?

But you gave me an idea. There's a new shop here that my friends are talking up. XLerated Customs and Cycles. I need to go talk with them.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flash tuners