Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Super tuner

Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Nmsandman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super tuner

Please help I have a 2015 street glide cvo. I want to put true dual exhaust and a super tuner. My question is I keep getting different answer from HD shops telling me that I have dyno my bike with this tuner. The shops that tell this have dyno machines the others don't have a dyno and tell me that you don't need to dyno ur bike. Which one is true?

Thank you for any info

Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Regardless if you change to true duals or not you should tune your bike.

That's the easy answer. When you change your pipes without tuning your bike will run badly.

You put a lot of money in the CVO. Don't cheat yourself out of it running good. Spend the extra money and get it done right.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:43 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nmsandman
Please help I have a 2015 street glide cvo. I want to put true dual exhaust and a super tuner. My question is I keep getting different answer from HD shops telling me that I have dyno my bike with this tuner. The shops that tell this have dyno machines the others don't have a dyno and tell me that you don't need to dyno ur bike. Which one is true?

Thank you for any info
First, Welcome to the Hd Forum, you'll find a lot of good information and a lot of good people, with the occasional rectal orifice, so take the good with the bad.

I've been asking the same question about tuning and the need to tune or not to tune as I change my Ultra to stage 1. My final conclusion is I'm going to use a Power Vision 1 and have the bike tuned. Using the auto tune feature I could probably get by without having the bike dyno tuned. However after making the upgrade to stage 1 I want whats best for my bike and for another 350 dollars why cheap out. I'm going to flash the ecm with the recommended tune from FuelMoto before I take the bike to the dyno that way I can do a before and after seat of my pants comparison. Good luck to you which ever direction you decide. I'll just be glad for this stinging cold weather to be done and the warmth of spring and my first ride of the season.
Bill

Last edited by paid4c4; 03-13-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

If you are going to tune a bike on the road I would also recommend looking at other options for a tuning device. Such as the TTS which has the original tuning assistance software. All tuners require owner interaction and the term Auto Tune is more of a marketing ploy than a reality. The three most popular 'flash' type tuning products are the SEPro, PV and the TTS.

The most important decision is to make a decision. The second one is to fully understand which tuning product you would like to use. Research them all before spending your money. The above three tuning products all have different personalities. Choose wisely.

If you do not want to research the product then research the best Dyno guy around and use the tuning device he likes to tune with.

In any case... You will be much more happy after the bike is properly tuned.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Nmsandman
Stage II
Default Tuner

Seems like I should Dyno the bike and have it run right. I find it odd that the shops that don't have a dyno machine don't even suggest it. In me research of tuners they all say the super tuner. they feel that aftermarket tuners can throw codes and might mess up the ecm.

Thank you for the info

Any info is a great help to me making a decision.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Seems like I should Dyno the bike and have it run right. I find it odd that the shops that don't have a dyno machine don't even suggest it. In me research of tuners they all say the super tuner. they feel that aftermarket tuners can throw codes and might mess up the ecm.

Thank you for the info

Any info is a great help to me making a decision.

FYI

The aftermarket tuner is the Super Tuner as well as all other brands. The Super Tuner was made by a company called SPX then sold to Bosch. It was never a Harley company.

The first and original Harley Delphi tuning device was the SERT made by TTS. This was changed in 2008 by Harley when they decided to take the tuning business in house to save money. Not sure how that worked for them. TTS dropped the name SERT in favor of its real name... TTS (The Turbo Shop)

With all that said... I can't stress enough to tune your bike so it will run more efficiently and have more power. Use the tuning device recommended by the guy who will do the actual tuning. If he is more comfortable with the Super Tuner then by all means use that product.

The other option is to purchase the tuning device and tune it yourself. You should know a little about how to tune and understand a little about the tuning dynamics of a Harley first. You will be overwhelmed a little when you first start leaning how to tune but shortly you will be a pro at it. This is the cheaper route.

The last option would be to have the bike tuned on a Dyno then save the file for future use on your computer. Then tweak the tune yourself when you get acquainted with the new tuning device.

Let us know how everything worked out on the other end.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:35 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by paid4c4
First, Welcome to the Hd Forum, you'll find a lot of good information and a lot of good people, with the occasional rectal orifice, so take the good with the bad.

I've been asking the same question about tuning and the need to tune or not to tune as I change my Ultra to stage 1. My final conclusion is I'm going to use a Power Vision 1 and have the bike tuned. Using the auto tune feature I could probably get by without having the bike dyno tuned. However after making the upgrade to stage 1 I want whats best for my bike and for another 350 dollars why cheap out. I'm going to flash the ecm with the recommended tune from DynoJet before I take the bike to the dyno that way I can do a before and after seat of my pants comparison. Good luck to you which ever direction you decide. I'll just be glad for this stinging cold weather to be done and the warmth of spring and my first ride of the season.
Bill
I suggest you at least try the autotune feature. You may be surprised at the results. You can still have it dyno tuned after.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:50 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Thank you for any info
It all comes down to the individual doing the tuning and the resources available to them.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-03-2015, 03:36 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Thank you for any info

I recommend a tune anytime you change the airflow through the bike. Going to true duals is going to change that enough that a remapping of your VE tables is warranted. Even if you just look at it as centering your VE's to your build.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:00 PM
casbar
Cruiser

Just fitted true duals to my CVO RK. I already had a SEPST and high flow air cleaner etc. Got some great support off this forum and in the end bought cables for my tuner, loaded a map provided by a forum member and my bike runs great.