Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Initial Smart Tunes in Cold Weather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
doitda
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial Smart Tunes in Cold Weather?

Just placed a Vance & Hines exhaust and Arlen Ness air cleaner on my 14 Fat Boy, and flashed the stage 1 map.
Are there any negative effects (come summer) if I smart tune now in colder 40 degree weather?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-10-2015, 07:55 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

in theory, yes you can. Once the VE tables are optimized, they are good to go, as the ECM will compensate for temperature. That being said, summer heat and humidity and gas mix in the summer will cause about 3-5 percent change required for the VE tables from my personal observations. I usually tune in hotter weather again.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:07 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
in theory, yes you can. Once the VE tables are optimized, they are good to go, as the ECM will compensate for temperature. That being said, summer heat and humidity and gas mix in the summer will cause about 3-5 percent change required for the VE tables from my personal observations. I usually tune in hotter weather again.
Not trying to hijack but have a question. I have a 110 with 577 cams, exhaust, 5.4 tb. Do I need a dynotunes or can I auto tune. The last dynotunes i got the guy. Set all the afrs to 13.5. Is that common for them to do after a tune. I had never seen any set that way. Looking for some advice and help. I have powervision.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by VETERAN75
Not trying to hijack but have a question. I have a 110 with 577 cams, exhaust, 5.4 tb. Do I need a dynotunes or can I auto tune. The last dynotunes i got the guy. Set all the afrs to 13.5. Is that common for them to do after a tune. I had never seen any set that way. Looking for some advice and help. I have powervision.
If the AFR was set at 13.5, and the tech set the VE tables accurately, then the VE tables should be "calibrated". This could be done with any AFR set point, as long add the VE tables are optimized. Now once they are good, you can go back into the AFR table and change the cruise range to something in the mid 14's for better fuel economy under cruise RPM, part throttle. By leaving the age at 13.5 across the board, the bike runs cooler at any RPM and throttle position, but the sacrifice is fuel economy. I have mine set at 14.7 in the low to mid RPM range for better economy, but 13.5 to 13.2 to 12.8 at upper RPM and 65% throttle on up. So when the throttle is going near to wide open and RPM builds, the ECM targets a richer AFR and better power. With the power vision, you can go to gages, add a gage setting for front VE actual, and another for front VE new. Also add two more for VE rear actual and VE new rear. When you ride, you can watch these two gages for each cylinder, and Nye how close the values are. If they mirror each other, the tune is optimized, if not then run a few autotunes to dial in the actual to the new. That may be too busy to watch, but it can be done and is easy once you get accustomed. Hope this all helps.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:46 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RK14SGS

If the AFR was set at 13.5, and the tech set the VE tables accurately, then the VE tables should be "calibrated". This could be done with any AFR set point, as long add the VE tables are optimized. Now once they are good, you can go back into the AFR table and change the cruise range to something in the mid 14's for better fuel economy under cruise RPM, part throttle. By leaving the age at 13.5 across the board, the bike runs cooler at any RPM and throttle position, but the sacrifice is fuel economy. I have mine set at 14.7 in the low to mid RPM range for better economy, but 13.5 to 13.2 to 12.8 at upper RPM and 65% throttle on up. So when the throttle is going near to wide open and RPM builds, the ECM targets a richer AFR and better power. With the power vision, you can go to gages, add a gage setting for front VE actual, and another for front VE new. Also add two more for VE rear actual and VE new rear. When you ride, you can watch these two gages for each cylinder, and Nye how close the values are. If they mirror each other, the tune is optimized, if not then run a few autotunes to dial in the actual to the new. That may be too busy to watch, but it can be done and is easy once you get accustomed. Hope this all helps.
Hey man thanks a lot for explaining it that way. I haven't had a chance to talk with the tuner to see what he says. I have changed a few things and need to retune. Was concerned if I should get another tuner or not.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by doitda
Just placed a Vance & Hines exhaust and Arlen Ness air cleaner on my 14 Fat Boy, and flashed the stage 1 map.
Are there any negative effects (come summer) if I smart tune now in colder 40 degree weather?

Thanks,
Chris
I will also be doing my initial SEPST smart tune runs soon here in the cooler spring weather. It's not that big of a deal to hook everything up and make a few more runs later on. I plan on making a few runs later once the temperatures warm up more just to check.