Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

XiED Real World Test - Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 04:00 PM
miketimer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XiED Real World Test - Finally!

Hello All, first off - I like reading these threads and appreciate all the information that folks post so I thought I might be able to help with some of the long running debates on here. This is regarding the XiED fuel management system. I got an app for my phone that lets me upload the diagnostic information from the ECU and did a couple test runs.

First run on a Stage 1 96”: http://myappdata.com/#rpmitup/post/5...b00cfc4b21e4f0

and then with XiED attached: http://myappdata.com/#rpmitup/post/5...b00cfc4b21e4f2

I was going after testing the engine temps and fuel consumption. I tried to do the runs as close together as possible so weather and whatnot would be comparable. This is on the same bike we me doing both rides. I tried to keep my cruise control on and the speed right at 75 MPH as much as I could (there was a lot of road work) and didn’t do any hard acceleration. A couple of things I was surprised to find:

1) Engine Temps: Although it was probably 5-7 degrees warmer out with the XiED on the engine temp was actually just a tad warmer. I didn’t experience any reduced engine temperatures. Granted it wasn’t very warm out to begin with, but I was expecting to see at least a couple degrees difference.
2) MPG: This was actually pretty close in both runs. I was expecting the O2 resistors to cause more fuel consumption, maybe a 1-2 drop in MPG but without any hard acceleration it was pretty close.

Next up I am going to try the 0 – 60 time feature and see if there is really any difference with acceleration. More to follow…

Old 03-06-2015, 04:47 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Pretty cool info.. Lost hp tho.. Either it's not accurate or the stage 1 u did was restricted as hell

Old 03-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by miketimer
...This is regarding the XiED fuel management system. I got an app for my phone that lets me upload the diagnostic information from the ECU and did a couple test runs.…
Welcome to the forum!

Just curious, what were you trying to find or accomplish with these test runs?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

What app is that?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:59 AM
miketimer
6th Gear

The app is RPMitUP.

I was trying to test fuel consumption and engine temps. If I get some time this weekend I'm going to try and test acceleration with the 0-60 time feature.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

I wondered when someone would create a dynamic connection to the blue tooth in the new infotainment systems for analytic data.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I do not get the tests your doing....The XIED alters the AFR so that's the parameter I would be looking for - The rest is just noise!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 AM
miketimer
6th Gear

Errrrr - so this is straight off the XiED website. 1st paragraph:

Don't let the Harley heat monster ruin your riding.
Reduced Engine and Exhaust Temperatures
Reduce Engine Surging
Improve Throttle Response
Less Engine Ping

I'm not seeing any reduced engine temps. Obviously this is done with the AFR being altered so I was also curious as to how much more gas was being used.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 AM
SSTuner
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Miketimer, what cable are you using to adapt the ELM adapter?

(RPMitUp requires a compatible WIFI OBD / OBDII Wireless scanner along with a 16 to 4 pin ELM327 cable.)

Here is a video:

Last edited by SSTuner; 03-10-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The benefits are ALL based upon the theory that the engine runs richer due to the tweaking that the Xieds do. you should at a minimum see slightly higher fuel consumption, although i would love to see the math the shows how many extra litres of fuel you use with a lower AFR than with the 14.7 - that would be interesting reading!

Quick Reply: XiED Real World Test - Finally!