Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Harley Tuner vs PCV

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM
NYUnderground
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Tuner vs PCV

Morning All,

Just signed for a 2015 Breakout and asked them to add PCV. Emailed my salesman today inquiring what it would cost to add the auto-tune kit as well and received the answer below. I know I have much more control with the PCV but wanted opinions on what he said as I haven't researched the Harley tuner at all. He starts with the typical it "might not fit line" but Im relatively sure I will have no issue on the new FXSB.

"Sounds good Paul. Just to let you know, there was a fitment notification when placing the order for your Power Commander stating it is not for use on the Softail Breakout, although I do know of one other person that purchased the tuner for his own Breakout. The Auto Tune kit for Power Commander V is $399.95. I was just consulting with my Service Writer to get some information about installing the auto tune kit. The Auto Tune Kit is an additional Hour in labor to install and also must remain on the vehicle as another "piggy-back" system along with the Power Commander itself, which can be a feat in its own to find the room under the seat of a Softail® Breakout™.

If you still want to go this route, we would be more than happy to meet your request, however, I would recommend, one more time, a system that has proven to work time and time again. Using the Screamin' Eagle Pro EFI Super Tuner (which has an auto tune feature built in) and a Dyno tune. A few quick benefits to using the Harley-Davidson Pro EFI Super Tuner:

•Super Tuner is not a "piggy-back" system. I does not stay on the bike. Tune the motorcycle and keep the tuner at home away from the heat and weather and overall stressful conditions of riding. If the Power Commander fails there's nothing you can do, The Super Tuner doesn't have the opportunity to fail because it doesn't stay on the bike.

•Super Tuner gives you the ability to re-tune the motorcycle for future performance upgrades, i.e: Cams, Heads, Big Bore kits, etc.

•Built and designed by Harley-Davidson for use on Harley-Davidson Motorcycles.

PC-V: $379.95
PC-V Auto Tune Kit: $399.95
additional labor (1hr): $110.00
TOTAL: $889.90

Pro Super Tuner: $459.95
Dyno Tune: $400.00
TOTAL: $859.95

Just food for thought. Either way you decide is fine with me. Let me know."

Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

You can buy a PC V online for under $300. It's kind of old technology. You might be better off with a Power Vision, much more flexible and has auto tune capabilities. Either one is fairly easy to install on your own. Get in touch with Fuel Moto, find out what they recommend for your bike and do it yourself.
With the Super Tuner you have to make sure whoever is doing the dyno knows what they're doing. Don't assume just because they have a dyno that they are proficient with it. Also, if you decide to do some mods down the road you'll have to get it dynoed again.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 PM
NYUnderground
Intermediate

Thanks Nevil. Do you know if you need to install another set of O2 sensors for the Power Vision 2 in order to usee auto tune functions?

Old 03-21-2015, 12:42 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

The Auto Tune Basic uses the stock O2 narrow band sensors. More than a few members here have said that they were able to use the basic setup to get a good tune. If you go to the Auto Tune Pro you use the wide band sensors.
I'm far from an expert on that tuner, but you can probably get the standard unit for around $500. Good support from Fuel Moto and you'll get a map programmed into the unit to get you started. Call them.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM
NYUnderground
Intermediate

Sounds great and Ill give Fuel Moto a call. Thanks so much for the quick and helpful info Nevil. Absolutely psyched to get on this bike!

Old 03-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

The SE Super Pro tuner can also do a "Smart Tune" using the stock oxygen sensors as well. The SESPT can make recorded runs by itself but you still need a Windows PC to combine the smart run with the MAP you started with. I am still waiting for it to warm up here but I will be using a cheap Win8 tablet combined with the SEPST to help ease my smart tuning using the "Smart Tune Live" built into their desktop software.

The Power Vision can simplify the same process into a self contained GPS sized unit with a touch screen. It will also use the stock oxygen sensors. I think the only real need to go to a set of wide band sensors if you have a heavily modified engine. Both devices can be removed from the bike once the tuning process is complete. The PV does have a few features that may be handy to leave it permanently attached to the bike.

The main reason I went with the SEPST is it is the best supported tuner in my area. I don't expect to have any issues running my smart tunes but worst case scenario I can run it over to the Harley dealer and pay for the dyno run. This is my first attempt in tuning a Harley fuel injected system. My next tuner will probably be a Power Vision simply for it's simplicity as well as it's support.