Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuelpak settings damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Nick412
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak settings damage

Hey guys. Hopefully someone here has enough knowledge to help a brother out.The back story is that I purchased a used 2007 harley night train a few months ago. The bike has a v&h fuelpak, big radius exhaust, and a stage 1 air cleaner. I was getting some decel pops but other than that it seemed to run fine. I called the support number and they suggested not to change anything. I got around to opening up the module and checking the current settings with the online database suggested settings. Most of the settings were significantly different from the suggested settings. I changed them to the suggested settings and the bike runs fine. The only issue that arose was that an oil seepage has now turned into a leak. My two questions are 1... Could those improper settings that were programmed for the last ten thousand miles cause any significant damage to the bike? And 2... Could the new fuelpak settings alter the oil flow or pressure and cause a mild seepage to become a leak? The previous owner won't answer my calls so I can't find out where he got the settings. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Unless the settings were extremely lean or rich, it is unlikely any damage has happened from that, and (2) no.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Likely no, any theory as to why it would, will be a "stretch"

Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 PM
Nick412
Advanced

The big issue is when talking to V&h it seems that they don't even have a full grasp behind the fuelpak voodoo.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Nick412
Advanced

Originally Posted by QC
Unless the settings were extremely lean or rich, it is unlikely any damage has happened from that, and (2) no.
If it were running extremely lean or rich for ten thousand miles or so... What are some common damages caused by this?

Old 03-27-2015, 01:29 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't see how a bad tune will present you with an oil leak but too lean will burn pistons and exhaust valves plus increased head temp so maybe an oil leak caused warpage but I doubt that. Too rich will build carbon deposits in the combustion chamber/piston head and eventually detonation from the higher compression because of the carbon build up and hot spots. You say it was running bad...only decel pops? Could be decel enleanment is off. Any pinging or knocking?

Last edited by RG Pilot; 03-27-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:49 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is my FuelPak expertise:

The V&H FuelPak maps in their database come in 3 flavors:
1. No Baffle
2. Standard Baffle (Comes with exhaust)
3. Quiet Baffle (Additional purchase)

You have to make sure you are using the correct map for your baffle setup. The fuelPak also has 35 modes (22 on older models) that may or may not need to be programed. This is dependent on your specific map.

Here are some important modes:
Mode 19 (Diagnostic Only): Calibrates the FuelPak to the throttle.
Mode 21 (Diagnostic Only): Shows the current throttle position.
Mode 22 (Diagnostic Only): Shows the current RPM.
Mode 23 (Configurable):
On the FuelPak mode 23 controls the rpm where the fuel is turned back on. If you have some decel popping you can try lowering this by one number and see if it helps. If you have done this and have gotten to 14 or your bike is stalling when coming to a stop, then that is all you can do and you will not be able to lessen the popping without changing the pipes or installing quieter baffles. The popping is not harmful, just annoying.

As for your oil leak. I don't think you FuelPak settings and the oil leak are linked. It's probably just a coincidence. The only thing would be if the FuelPak was causing the air/fuel mixture to be too lean. This could cause the engine to run hot. Heat can cause tight engine tolerances to loosen. Extreme heat could also cause warpage. That could be the reason your seep turned into a leak. Another reason could be that when an oil leak starts seeping is just a normal progression. I would replace the gasket and see if that solves the issue.

Last edited by enodrano; 03-28-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:39 PM
oc1014
Road Captain

Just curious, where is the leak coming from? You described it as a leak so I assume its not just breather blow by.